Bracing for a T top car

turbobully

Aside from the normal back seat brace, under hood brace, has anyone done anything worth reporting to stiffen up a T top car?

I've done rear seat braces, front frame braces, core support braces, and replaced all the body bushings (added #5). Besides putting a cage in the car, I would think you boxing the frame and weld extra braces in elsewhere.

Last edited:
Dennis Kirban has said the brace that goes under the rad. From side to side, does the best job. However it will only bolt up if you have the stock intercooler.

Dennis Kirban has said the brace that goes under the rad. From side to side, does the best job. However it will only bolt up if you have the stock intercooler.
Correct. The other braces that go from the crossmember to the frame will also hit the intercooler if its deep enough like the GN1. I made a plate to drop the bars down enough to clear.

From the descriptions I have read, the sc&c front brace will work with fmic. I have not purchased yet so cant confirm that.

Can confirm....with an eastern FMIC at least.

Will say this. I have the front mount RJC. I got a used front brace from Dennis Kirban, with the idea of re-fabing the brace to clear the RJC front. It did but it hung down to the point, to low, we decided it would not sell.

Thx guys the car has a precision FMIC i looked at the SC&C but didn't think it would clear, if it does I am defiantly going this route it will triangulate the entire front end. Toxic you can get it right on the SC&C website http://scandc.com/new/node/632 here is the link to it. It does say "The Grand National version is designed to clear the stock intercooler, or front-mount intercooler pipes." I guess I missed that when I looked at it originally.

Thx guys the car has a precision FMIC i looked at the SC&C but didn't think it would clear, if it does I am defiantly going this route it will triangulate the entire front end. Toxic you can get it right on the SC&C website http://scandc.com/new/node/632 here is the link to it. It does say "The Grand National version is designed to clear the stock intercooler, or front-mount intercooler pipes." I guess I missed that when I looked at it originally.

I can see why that brace would clear. It is step much futher back then what Kirban's has.

Well I'll start with this...don't waste your $$$ on the crisscrossed rear seat braces. Get the GNX rear seat brace and WELD it in...don't drill and bolt it. I put about 15, inch long welds all the way around it.
Next is the HR Parts rear sway bar. For a T top car...it's a must.
I also changed the body bushings and added the GNX bushings over the rear axle. I added the front braces, but ended up designing a front brace to my liking. After I went to the RJC FMIC, I had little choice.
The GNX seat brace is the by far the best investment. Followed by the sway bar.

Well I'll start with this...don't waste your $$$ on the crisscrossed rear seat braces. Get the GNX rear seat brace and WELD it in...don't drill and bolt it. I put about 15, inch long welds all the way around it.
Next is the HR Parts rear sway bar. For a T top car...it's a must.
I also changed the body bushings and added the GNX bushings over the rear axle. I added the front braces, but ended up designing a front brace to my liking. After I went to the RJC FMIC, I had little choice.
The GNX seat brace is the by far the best investment. Followed by the sway bar.

Wish I had knowed about the criss/cross. The only good, I think is I did not drill and bolt. They are welded in. Would play hell to get them out. And go with the GNX one. Have everything else that you mention other then the front brace. Do you think the SC&C would not work? With the RJC. If not I can fab up one.

Im just a little skeptical molesting such a low milage car but i bought it to drive so i guess it wont be low milage forever. Do you need to take the rear seat and tray out to weld it in? Is it the Gbody one!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1390609060.033147.jpg

Im just a little skeptical molesting such a low milage car but i bought it to drive so i guess it wont be low milage forever. Do you need to take the rear seat and tray out to weld it in? Is it the Gbody one!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
My car had 16,000 miles on it when I had it welded in. I couldn't stand the rattles and squeaks. I had to do something.