BOV at part throttle?

Never heard about the Godzilla but it looks like Turbonetics did a good job with that one. With the dual ports it appears to be the one BOV that will stop mid level boost surge.

Looks like there are three ways to go now to stop mid level boost surge.

( cheapest to more expensive )

Tornado
Ported Shroud Compressor Cover
Godzilla Blow Off Valve

Well, I'm not out of the woods yet. With the boost sensing port on the Godzilla hooked up it's bleeding too much boost away. The imbalance between the pressure in the up-pipe and the manifold is too great and it's pushing the valve open. I tightened the spring but it's still leaking. I unhooked the boost sensing port today and that finxed it but now it's too tight (though I do still have the spring cranked down as tight as it will go).

I may introduce the stock "Y" w/ the restrictor in the boost sensing line just for fun, but I think I can find a balance w/ the boost port unhooked by adjusting the spring tension..

Jim

Well, the verdict is in. The BOV does little for the surge. I may be able to hook the boost sensing line back up and get it to work, but the reality is that in order for it to work it needs to bleed boost away which isn't ideal. I mean it will work that way, but you're losing boost at part throttle.

So I'm going to try a Tornado next.

My surge is really bad. Until yesterday, I hadn't had an opportunity to get out on the highway for some extended driving. Ever since I put Cotton's 3" exhaust on the car the surge has been bad. Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing that my exhaust flows so much better, but now I have this surge. My old exhaust was rusting from the inside out and must have been plugged worse than I thought. Big flakes of rust fell out of it when I took it apart. Plus I had old 'turbo' style mufflers on it (restrictive, I guess).

Aaaannnyway, back to the drawing board. The BOV was an expensive gamble - don't do it. I mean it looks and sounds cool, but that's about it.

EDIT: For people willing to try the Tornado, the KI-100 (3 7/8") version is on Amazon for $21.53 (add $3.47 for free Super Saver shipping!!, so I bought a new Absorber - mine is 15 years old). Summit has the Tornado for $65 plus their $9 "handling".

Jim

Ah that sucks, it would have been nice to have another option in the surge stoppers.

Are you going to keep the BOV?

Nice find on the Tornado, $22 is really cheap. You will like it and it will cure the surge. Hard to believe $22 will do it but it will.

Tornado

You will still be able to use the Godzilla BOV for when you get out of it suddenly at least all that pressurzed air will be bled off so it's not a waste. 22 bucks for a Tornado cool. I just bought mine locally because I wanted to get rid of it now. TurboJimmy You will be relieved once you put it on and your surge is gone.

Ah that sucks, it would have been nice to have another option in the surge stoppers.

Are you going to keep the BOV?

Nice find on the Tornado, $22 is really cheap. You will like it and it will cure the surge. Hard to believe $22 will do it but it will.

Yeah, I'm going to keep the BOV. I had the flange welded into the up-pipe so it's pretty much permanent. At the risk of sounding like a ricer, it does sound mean when it blows off.

On the Tornado, I hope I got the right thing. I put the part number into Amazon and that's what it came up with. It's hugely cheaper than anywhere else. Not sure why.

ChavoLC2 said:
You will still be able to use the Godzilla BOV for when you get out of it suddenly at least all that pressurzed air will be bled off so it's not a waste. 22 bucks for a Tornado cool. I just bought mine locally because I wanted to get rid of it now. TurboJimmy You will be relieved once you put it on and your surge is gone.

Yes, the BOV is still good for when I get out of the throttle quickly. So where did you put the tornado? I'm thinking in the rubber elbow that comes off the turbo inlet - just in front of the turbo.

Jim

NE1 figure out why the "tornado" works??
Just my $.02:
It works because it does 2 things.
1. It's a restriction.
2. It creates turbulent flow at the turbo inlet, thus reducing the intake volume.
Other ?
How long will it last B4 it throws up it's guts?

Tornado

[ So where did you put the tornado? I'm thinking in the rubber elbow that comes off the turbo inlet - just in front of the turbo.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah just let it rest on or near the lip of the inlet. If your worried about it migrating put a extra clamp on the rubber hose over the Tornado and tighten it enough to keep it in place. The spot welds look strong and penetrate nicely making a strong seamless joint/connection and it would take a spot weld cutter for it to come apart at the double spot welds and throw-up it's guts and eat up the compressor wheel and send schrapnel into the IC. For now very happy not to have SURGE grateful someone come up with the idea of causing a turbulent restriction in the inlet to stop the surge. If I'm wrong and it all of a sudden falls apart and tears up turbo then "I will eat crow" and have to buy a replacement turbo one that has anti surge bullets machined into the inlet like the Turbonetics model shown(nice piece) until then I'm not going to loose any sleep worrying about the Tornado just randomly falling apart.

Bruce did a bunch of tests and found that first, there was no real restriction found at all, actually spooled faster from a couple psi to WOT. No difference in WOT fueling either.

Tornado is in the same boat as the Power Plate, is that a restriction? Some say yes, RJC showed no.

The Tornado works because it takes turbulent air ( during part throttle while the compressor is moving to the other side of the map ) and then smooth it out.

I am more concerned about alky lines, filters and pumps then the Tornado chunking apart.

Yeah, I'm going to keep the BOV. I had the flange welded into the up-pipe so it's pretty much permanent. At the risk of sounding like a ricer, it does sound mean when it blows off.

On the Tornado, I hope I got the right thing. I put the part number into Amazon and that's what it came up with. It's hugely cheaper than anywhere else. Not sure why.

Yes, the BOV is still good for when I get out of the throttle quickly. So where did you put the tornado? I'm thinking in the rubber elbow that comes off the turbo inlet - just in front of the turbo.

Jim

I must say that BOV does look and sound quite mean. Any updates on the Tornado?

I must say that BOV does look and sound quite mean. Any updates on the Tornado?

Thanks. The Tornado won't be here until the middle of next week. I'll probably pop it in next weekend and I'll post back. My surge is pretty viscious so I'd be surprised if it fixed it, but I can't argue with everyone else's success unless I try it myself.

Jim

We were just joking around about the tornados over on turbotransam.com. We didn't think there was a real purpose for this product. If the part you ordered from amazon isn't right I think the "turbonator" is the same thing for $34.95. Found the ad in the back of this months motor trend. Print ad says 69.95 but turbonator.com says sale price of $34.95. Sure sounded lame to me, I'll really be curious to see it work.

We were just joking around about the tornados over on turbotransam.com. We didn't think there was a real purpose for this product. If the part you ordered from amazon isn't right I think the "turbonator" is the same thing for $34.95. Found the ad in the back of this months motor trend. Print ad says 69.95 but turbonator.com says sale price of $34.95. Sure sounded lame to me, I'll really be curious to see it work.

I'll admit that it sounds pretty goofy but it seems to work. I can't wait to see what happens with mine.

Jim

I'll admit that it sounds pretty goofy but it seems to work. I can't wait to see what happens with mine.

Jim

I just noticed the compressor surge on my GN get worse as I gutted the cat, never really noticed it much before that. Also I've been driving the car a little more and maybe thats why I notice it more. Well anyway I just ordered one of those tornados, should be here Tuesday I will give it a try. I picked a new one up on ebay for $20.00. Kit Ki-75 3"

Let me ask you guy's a question, is the turbonator basically the same thing as the tornado? :confused: They seem to do the same thing. Is one better than the other? Has anyone done any type of testing with both units? TIA

They work

All I know is they work come the middle of the week TurboJimmy will not have to worry about "the Surge" no longer. he will be able to enjoy driving his ride again and get back to dialing her in.

If I couldn't find a Tornado was going to try a Turbonator as they are similar in design and function.

All I know is they work come the middle of the week TurboJimmy will not have to worry about "the Surge" no longer. he will be able to enjoy driving his ride again and get back to dialing her in.

If I couldn't find a Tornado was going to try a Turbonator as they are similar in design and function.

Well the Tornado fixed the lower RPM, low speed surge. Like when I leave a stoplight hard and let off a little - it would flutter and surge and the boost gauge would be all over the place. It doesn't do that anymore.

But, I still have the highway speed surge. If I'm cruising along and give it some gas to pass someone, it will surge. It actually scared my son today who heard it for the first time. If I give it more throttle it stops, but it seems I either have to be out of the throttle or all the way in it - no in between.

I'll see if I can get some vids of it tomorrow.

Jim

Here's a video. Unfortunately after taking the car out a second time I really don't think the Tornado has done much of anything. Just to be clear, the 'fluttering' is indeed compressor surge right? You can't see the boost gauge as well as I had hoped, but it's fluttering with the flutter.

http://www.youtube.com/v/RIC4MOq5w9s&rel=1

Jim

Flutter

Watched video Yeah that's it for sure it's terrible. Your sure you put it in the right way?, the blades turn the air to the right. And it's next to the turbo inlet? That's a bummer was hoping it would get rid of it for you. You have a 4" inlet? This all started when you changed IC or turbo?

Watched video Yeah that's it for sure it's terrible. Your sure you put it in the right way?, the blades turn the air to the right. And it's next to the turbo inlet? That's a bummer was hoping it would get rid of it for you. You have a 4" inlet? This all started when you changed IC or turbo?

Yes, the blades turn the air to the right. It wouldn't go in the 45-degree elbow right at the turbo so I had to put it at the end of the MAF pipe (I have another rubber elbow there where the MAF used to be). If I could get it closer to the turbo that might help but I didn't want to hack up my chrome MAF pipe. I have some extra 4" aluminum tubing that I might be able to goof around with in order to get the Tornado closer to the turbo.

It's always surged, but it wasn't really bad until I put the new exhaust system on it. My old one must've been plugged up pretty good. I havent' touched anything else other than the exhaust and I got the surge AND the stupid thing hit like 32 PSI in that video (you can't see the boost gauge, but you can see the knock gauge go up a couple of ticks).

I guess I have some tuning to do. The BOV will work but I need to limit the boost it sees. I'm going to try putting the stock "Y" restrictor on it and/or a pop-off valve (I have both collecting dust in my toolbox).

Jim

Rubber connector

Mine isn't in the MAF pipe per se' it's in the "silicone hose coupling "that connects MAF pipe to Turbo Inlet, slip it in the silicone housing right next to turbo inlet. It should be between turbo inlet and end of MAF pipe in that hose.That's as close as you can get. Yeah it can't be by the MAF that's over a foot away it needs to be closer.