BOPC event in Gainesville

Beamer

Who all is planning to attend the BOPC event in Gainesville on Feb 13th?

It would be nice to have several of us together there. I hope to have my T ready to test some 60' times and compare between a stock sway to an ATR to a HR system. I can't make my capable full runs in the 10s with no cage, but I can check out my 60' and 1/8 mile times.

Mike

I plan on being there.

Maybe running my car. Not positive yet. I'll be driving it, and it's about 2 hrs each way.

My dad will probably run his Olds again if he gets the rear back in. (Broke it at the postponed event in Dec)

I'm in hope to see yall there unfortunately both cars are down right now and won't make the event,Went to the december event hoping for a better turnout and little warmer weather.

You got that right... Winds from the NW, which way does the track run?

My T has a blown headgasket, so I am arriving solo. Don't want to drive the Suncoupe, it is getting ready for a fully ported set of heads, intake and exhaust manifolds along with roller rockers next weekend.

See everyone out there...

Mike

So how was it guys?? Anybody got some pics or video from the event? If so, please post it up when you get a chance.

It was OK. Definately chilly and the wind was at a slight tail wind, as the track runs west to east. The turnout was mild, a little more than November. I am thinking about 8 Buicks, all but one were turbo powered. One was a 455 transplant black car. Having been there 2 times in a row, I do not think the attitude that the track has toward us regular guy racers is all that great. We are not the NHRA. The track could have used some more prep work, and definately in a much timelier manner.

With that said, maybe I am spoiled with Reynolds. I have never seen such an effort put toward our group as we get there. Maybe I am expecting too much.

Mike

With that said, maybe I am spoiled with Reynolds. I have never seen such an effort put toward our group as we get there.

Wow!! Thank you Mike! The crew at Silver Dollar work hard to keep us happy.

Wow!! Thank you Mike! The crew at Silver Dollar work hard to keep us happy.

I agree entirely... I started going there for the Buick event 4 years ago with my Suncoupe. I had not drag race in years and just had a blast there. I followed up the next year with Jim Rodgers and his stock appearing, helping him tune his car (nothing like you do, lol - rochester carbs...and a LM1). The next year I had my own turbo car that was in need of a roller cam replacement. This past year, I made my goal with many 10 second runs. I was able to run as many times as I wanted. They keep the track going and going and there is no way anyone can say they did not have time to get enough runs in. I made 22 passes over the weekend, and stopped because I was becoming fatigued from the mental and slight physical stress of trying to do better. I was really wanting to bring my T to Gainesville, but was reserved as I could only run hard for an 1/8th until I felt I had a good tune to make one last full 1/4 blast.

Needless to say, it was great to get out and see some of the Buick crowd there and the sun was strong. And to see what is in store for us this year, was a definate plus. I truly can't wait for Reynolds this year. It is not too early for all of us to start getting ready...

Mike

Having been there 2 times in a row, I do not think the attitude that the track has toward us regular guy racers is all that great. We are not the NHRA. The track could have used some more prep work, and definately in a much timelier manner.

With that said, maybe I am spoiled with Reynolds. I have never seen such an effort put toward our group as we get there. Maybe I am expecting too much.

Mike

The real problem is the track manager at Gainesville. I have spoken to some local racers including a very well known chassis builder in the area and he has told me the guy is not very friendly to regular racers and that he especially does not like sportsman style HU racing. This well known chassis builder was even trying to arrange some ORSCA HU racing at the track and this clown wanted no part of it! Several people have tried to get him removed from that track, but for some reason the NHRA won't do anything about it.

Reynolds was/is a much friendlier atmosphere and because of the support from guys like Cal that event will always have a much better turnout and for good reason.

Some pics from Gainesville, thanks to those who came out for support...

Attachments

• buickpits.jpg
    buickpits.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 142
  • carlos.jpg
    carlos.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 142
  • don.jpg
    don.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 151
  • doncruz.jpg
    doncruz.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 140
  • george.jpg
    george.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 143
A few more...

Attachments

• gnshow.jpg
    gnshow.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 153
  • matt.jpg
    matt.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 141
  • staged2.jpg
    staged2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 140
  • steve.jpg
    steve.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 138
  • TTgn.jpg
    TTgn.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 153
Yep, Champion has always given back to the Buick community. Last year they sponsored quite a few Buick classes along with being at several events. Tom must of been there checking on Don's new "changes" to the car.

I also want to mention, my friend Chris S, won the car show with his beautiful white 1970 GS-X