boost with alky

nboost

wondering how much boost you boys are running here that only have 91 oct. at the pump with alky? Im currently running 18p.s.i with 0 knock and I know that I can crank it up and find my limit but was just curious....
also, how many full rotations on the WG rod to achieve a pound of boost?

I've heard guys running mid or even high 20's on boost???

Personally, I'd keep it to 20-ish.

1 full turn = about 1 PSI, until the rod get tight, and then things happen quickly..

guess I should have mentioned that I have a turbo tweak chip with 20*23* of timing. Lower 20's then i take it as far as boost goes?

with a 21/23 degree timing extender chip, bone stock motor, TE-44 turbo and 50's combo I was running 25 psi of boost on a dual nozzle setup...no knock...

Got up to 23psi with 100% denatured, thrasher 92 chip, and 93 oct. Still didn't have any knock and O2s in the 800-810 range. Was shooting for 25psi but the trans wouldn't let me play with it anymore. I'm sure that 25-27psi is plenty possible with turbos a little larger than stock, doubt the stock one would get that high but it might.

i just put on a pt-54, MSD 50's have a front mount so do you think ill be able to get more boost having a larger turbo?

usually the larger turbo you go...the less boost you can run but still get the same amount of power compared to a smaller turbo...

for example 20 lbs of boost on a PT-54 turbo is the same power as 25 psi on a TE-44/TA-49 turbo (this is of course given the fact you have the other stuff to go with it like ported heads, free flowing exhaust, good intercooler, etc.)

you can't just slap on a big turbo on a stock motor and expect to go faster than with a smaller TA49 turbo...wanna know why? because the stock heads can't flow that much air to begin with...you are really at the flowing limits at 25 psi on the smaller TA49 turbo...unless you port and polish the heads and etc. you can't take advantage of the bigger turbos...

to answer your question...i would bet you can run about 22-23 lbs of boost on that PT54 with alky and no knock...

Always ran 23-25 boost using a thrasher 108 octane chip (don't know the timing) with very minimul knock. That's with a TE44 turbo, stock IC, 3" Postons downpipe. I use a 2 stage setup that I always felt improved drivability on the road. I'm restoring my 86 but she's running again. I hope to have everything including paint done this summer. My alky setup will be the same mechanicaly but I am fabricating a tank, moved the pump in front of the radiator support,and I'm having some machining done to my nozzle holders so I can use braided lines and AN fittings everywhere. Mostly just for that high tech appeal. Lights are now installed in the dash along with others for tcc,fan,ac,line lock,alky armed,alky stage 1,alky stage 2. Starting to look like a christmas tree in there.;)

Originally posted by nboost
i just put on a pt-54, MSD 50's have a front mount so do you think ill be able to get more boost having a larger turbo?

Hope ya have a converter for that 54. If you pump a lot of alcohol into the motor you'll split the block before you find the limits of AI. On stock heads and cam i've blown past 30 PSI many times.

I ran 98.42 in the 1/8 last wed nite, 120.78 in the 1/4 two weeks ago.. i'll put this sled into the 10's with little turbo, bone stock IC, 58 mm tb, 50's.. on 93 octane and alcohol.

Again.. if your able to pump in sufficient alcohol.. the sky is the limit. If your limited in the amount you can spray, the results will vary. And tune tune tune.

had a 3200-3800 10" converter which was way too much converter, so i took it out and put in a 2800- 3200 10" and still is very responsive and more street friendly especially with the 400 trans.
I appreciate all the replys, Im going to take the car out later and see how it does with a few more cranks on the WG.

2 more cents

Dollar for dollar alky IMHO is the best money spent on these cars, it's the great equalizer! I'm playing around the 26 PSI mark with my Extender set up on 21 degrees of timing. Got to get the steering a little tighter though, ditches are gettting harder to stay between. - FAB6

k guys i went for a few bursts down the street and at 22 p.s.i, i had 0 knock and 02's about 780 or so. Should i bump up the fuel pressure? I want to try and also squeeze a few more pounds out since i have no knock.
I did the DIY alky and instead of the .32 jet specified in the directions, i went ahead with a .40 jet since it said that a larger jet may be better if you have a larger turbo in which i have.(pt-54)
More advice please:D

well if you have no knock, and 780's.. up the boost a couple lbs. That ought to lean them O2's and make more power..

"if you have no knock" :D The sky is the limit on what you can do.. keep adding boost, till you start seeing knock.. then add alky.. and add FP accordingly to balance them out. You can add alky by upping the pressure on the pump.

The lower the O2's the more power.. the more boost=the more power, and when you get to your "max" boost number you want to run, then start adding timing.. mix and match till the motor makes the most power.

To whatever level your comfortable with. ;) As long as its not knocking.

Thanks Julio. I just wanted to make sure everything was cool since im kinda new to this stuff

yesterday driving my car with a 25* race chip and my combo in my sig. 26 psi of boost on 93 and alky. let's just say i had really bad traction problems on the street. i can't wait to get it to the track. oh, my 02's were in the 750 range ( lean is mean huh ? :D ).