boost question

iamjeff

next gen buick enthusiast
i have been have problems getting my boost down to a safe level where i dont have to worry about knock at all. i couldnt get it below 17-18 lbs with my hd actuator, so i switched over to the stock actuator. i was still having problems. to i lengthened the rod as long as i could, and you could actually hear the wasegate chattering againset the dp (the actuator rod was holding the wastegate open). the car still make about 13 psi of boost(it comes up kind of slow, but still steadily climbs)! so, i just tighten it enough so that it isnt chattering any more. the car is making 17 psi of boost again. Im confused. is it just time that i switch to an external style dp so that i can control boost better? thanks for any advice.

-my combo is in my sig

-jeff

i also have a 3000 stall lockup precision converter,tin man intake, 3" dp, cas v2, and hooker exhaust, etc.

-jeff

Sounds like you are not bleeding off exhaust fast enough.

I would take off the turbo and port the waste gate hole and elbow and make sure that the puck operates free and clear.

What size is the WG hole in the exhaust housing now? With a 3" DP, usually it has to be ported out to about 15/16".
Check the puck placement before porting it out any further as the puck is not always centered over the hole...you should have some carbon build up so that you can clearly see the puck imprint...if not, then apply a thin layer of grease on the puck...keep punk open....mount the DP back on with all bolts....manually close the puck a few times...then tie it back open...remove the DP and you should have a nice imprint of where it contacts on the exhaust housing. Sounds like its needs to be opened up a bit more from where its at now, maybe just a 1/16" - 1/8".