Boost Gauge info

JamestownGNX

Boost gauge info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had my engine in my GNX totally rebuilt. It was rebuilt to stock specs with all stock parts. I also put on a brand new GM regular(not GNX) turbo. This was bought right from GM and was not a rebuild. It has an adjustable wastegate on it, and I would assume the wastegate was adjusted to stock, as it had a paint on the threads and nut. I had my friend adjust the cam senor and time the engine. It runs strong with no knocks. I took it out today for the first time in about a year, put 93 gas with an octane booster additive, also changed oil again and added ZDDP. The car does not seem to have the power of my other GNX which is also stock or even the power of my Turbo Limitied. Looking at the factory boost gauge it read about 10 in the red when acclerating and then 10-15 when I take my foot off the gas. It is also running hot to me, about 200-220 and under the hood is alot hotter than I remember. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

220 is not good, you need to address your cooling system ASAP.
How many miles are on the car, does it still have the stock radiator/fan?

10 in the red, means 10in vacuum?
never had an x, but all the lc2 cars i've owned have been around 15-18.

again no experience with the X turbos, but aren't they bigger than the stock gn turbo which you have on there now?

that could explain your loss of power. kinda like a 44 vs stock?? if youre not seeing knock you can try to crank the boost up some and see how it feels then.

or if you have the time swap the stock gnx turbo from the other car on it and see if that is the problem.

what numbers were you seeing on the gauge before the rebuild with the lost power your comparing it to?

maybe an x owner can chime in and give you more detailed info on running a gn turbo on that car, but i'd put dual fans in and get a new radiator in there before even addressing the turbo if youre running 220.

Yesterday was 90 in NYC, even if it's a similar temp where you are, 220 is not a good number to see even with the AC on max in august temp/humidity.

G'luck, might want to post in the GNX section as well.

10 psi in the red on a real GNX is 10 pounds of boost. If your thermostat is stock its a 195* unit. What was the temp outside when you were driving it? It really is normal to feel sluggish at 10psi and your other GNX has the ceramic wheel turbo still on it and reaching 14-15psi correct?

Your friend adjusted the cam sensor and timed the engine... No No. It will not change spark timing. That is not its function. If he did move it he may have changed the injector timing and could cause a problem if too far out of adjustment. That could be adding to your lack of power issue.