Bob Bailey ignition module

not unless you count the service road over near Toots restaurant....

My car is not really strip ready, and its a long walk home if I have head gasket "issues".

I had considered loaning the system to someone to run, but didn't get anything set up.

Bob

if you run it leaner than about 16:1 you can feel the torque fall off. so I usually run at at 16.3 : 1 or so.

Sounds about right. :biggrin:

lean cruise.jpg

Bob hung out in the pits with his car at my trailer. He demo'ed the system and helped me troubleshoot my high speed engine miss. Together we figured out a path to correct the miss. Without his help, I probably wouldn't have qualified in the Super 16 or been the runner-up in Bracket 1. Many thanks!!

I can't wait to try the system on my S2 engine.

Bob hung out in the pits with his car at my trailer. He demo'ed the system and helped me troubleshoot my high speed engine miss. Together we figured out a path to correct the miss. Without his help, I probably wouldn't have qualified in the Super 16 or been the runner-up in Bracket 1. Many thanks!!

I can't wait to try the system on my S2 engine.

Always glad to help.

Bob

Beta Testing

Howdy Guys

I have the privledge to test Bob Bailey's TR-6 ignition system. This unit was very simple to install just like a stock set-up. The unit that i'm testing is just like the one that was seen on Bob's car in BG this yr.

Just one of the features this unit has is the Famous Bailey 2 Step!. Just simply wire up the 12v trigger wire and set the rpm and your ready to do the 2 step.

I'll be taking the car to the track sunday to give the unit a stress test!

please stay tuned for more updates!

View attachment 148503View attachment 148502View attachment 148504View attachment 148505

The ignition system it's actually called the TR-6 ignition from Bailey Engineering!
Since I installed the unit wed night I have put about 150 miles on it .

I'd definitely be interested in this setup... especially the arrangement with LS2 coils on top of the module and billet mounting brackets.

Coils on the valve covers just look so cluttered.

Talked to Bob last night. Some serious time and coin in this project.

SloGN what spark plugs and how much gap? Having any ignition issues before the switch? What if any drive ability improvements have you experienced in the 150 miles?

Are you XFI?

RL

Talked to Bob last night. Some serious time and coin in this project.

SloGN what spark plugs and how much gap? Having any ignition issues before the switch? What if any drive ability improvements have you experienced in the 150 miles?

Are you XFI?

RL

Rick

The plugs i'm using are the ngk racing 5820. The gap is currently set @ 30. Shortly after i got back from BG i had some break up when i got into boosy with the stock set-up. I put in a new set of plugs ( lead fouled) and all is well. I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong before the swap.

The biggest improvement i have noticed is start-up. The drive ability seems to be the same.

My engine management is XFI.

Rick

The plugs i'm using are the ngk racing 5820. The gap is currently set @ 30. Shortly after i got back from BG i had some break up when i got into boosy with the stock set-up. I put in a new set of plugs ( lead fouled) and all is well. I wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong before the swap.

The biggest improvement i have noticed is start-up. The drive ability seems to be the same.

My engine management is XFI.

Have you attempted to widen the gap yet? I would hope that we will be able to widen the spark gap and still run high boost [wishful thinking] with the improved spark.

aaron

I'm running .045 here, at 22psi (fuel pump is limiting my boost at the moment)

Pat will hopefully try a few things.

Bob

My understanding is that it is running pretty well. As Pat opened up the plug gap it started to act up sooner than we though it should, so we want to try a fresh coil. That coil has been beat to hell in testing (anyone remember me melting my spark testers at Richards shop last year?

Pat is going to try some of the coil-per-cylinder arrangements as well.

Bob

My understanding is that it is running pretty well. As Pat opened up the plug gap it started to act up sooner than we though it should, so we want to try a fresh coil. That coil has been beat to hell in testing (anyone remember me melting my spark testers at Richards shop last year?

Pat is going to try some of the coil-per-cylinder arrangements as well.

Bob

Update........

I took SloGN and the TR-6 out to the track today.

I made three back to back runs with the plugs already gapped @ 30 from previous. I did this to get a good baseline to know where i was at with my tune.

The runs were made with 93 octane boost @ 16-17 psi boost.

I ran a 7.08 @ 100 7.11 @ 99.8 7.10 @ 99.8

So after those great runs with very little cool down time. I decided it was time to swap in some fresh plugs and see how things go.

First try .060 gap I didn't have any trouble with burn out or on the 2 step. But the car got in to the spark blow-out in the bottom of second gear.

Ok well that didn't work

Second try .050 gap Again i didn't have any trouble with the burn-out or on the 2 step. But the car got into the same area again and the spark blew out again.

Back to the drawing board

Third try 0.38 gap Again i didn't have any trouble with the burn-out or 2 step. The car Made it into third gear before the spark blew out.

They were closing the staging lanes shortly after so i was done.

I didn't swap out the plugs to my orginal set i drove there one as i was being lazy !

I drove to Richards place On the way there i smacked the throttle and the heavens sang car pulled flawlessly well into third gear. So after visiting with Richard for a while i drove on home and again i smacked it and pulled flawlessly well into third gear.

I so i think one or two things happened here.

A. The coils are beat to death By bob showing it off at richards and then me tring to light .060-.050 plug gap under boost.

B. I may have fouled the plugs from the first two runs with stupid plug gap so that why the car acted on the third run. But after 30 mins of running down the highway they cleaned up and ran great with no misses.

So i'm gonna source out a new coil and go back testing !

So stay tuned in!