Boat stereo Question?

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
If this needs to be moved to turbo lounge, thats fine...jjst thought stereo section would be appropriate.

I have a 16ft Baja tri-hull, that I plan on installing a stereo system this summer. Alpine Marine headunit w/ iPod control, MTX marine 6.5" coaxials, and a Bazooka MBTA250D 10" amplified bass tube.

Space is a premium in this boat. I plan on adding a second Battery, looking at Optima Blue Tops, I've had ALOT of luck w/ the red tops in my vehicles.

Question is, how long can I expect the Optima Marine Battery to last sitting at the beach w/ tunes pumpin?? Bass tube is an amplified 10" sub w/ 250watt built in amp.. I've read about reserve Capacity and such, but looking for real world experience...Optima Battery will primarily be used as stereo battery w/ a selector switch for the "starting" battery, that way I'm never "dead" on the water...

Can I get 8 hours out of this setup????

try researching this

i helped a buddy awhile back with his ski boat, we added 2 amps and several mids and tweets and a sub. he liked to sit drink a few and listen and swim. So we did alittle research and there is a way to run a jumper of sorts if you want to call it wired into the charging system of the altenator that is used in boats. this will allow you to not have to worry about a dead battery due to long periods of listening to your tunes. check it out, should be able to find some info online. Farad would be a good idea, but the wiring i'm talking about does give your 2ndary battery with a trickle type charge but keeps it nice and charged for you when you need it. plus another battery isnt a bad idea incase one goes bad while your on the water.

Those bazooka tubes have I think a 10amp fuse in them, maybe a 15..So you're looking at a 5-7amp draw when you got it pumping. the Headunit is like 200-240watts mosfet, so it has about a 20amp fuse, so you're drawing about 10amps on the yellow wire. So you take the AH of the battery and divide it by the 15-17 amp stereo draw and that's the hours you got before the battery is dead. But, I'm sure you'll be using running lights on the boat as well, so that's another thing to consider. I don't think the stereo would kill your battery, but an extra battery with an isolator wouldn't be a bad idea.

Those bazooka tubes have I think a 10amp fuse in them, maybe a 15..So you're looking at a 5-7amp draw when you got it pumping. the Headunit is like 200-240watts mosfet, so it has about a 20amp fuse, so you're drawing about 10amps on the yellow wire. So you take the AH of the battery and divide it by the 15-17 amp stereo draw and that's the hours you got before the battery is dead. But, I'm sure you'll be using running lights on the boat as well, so that's another thing to consider. I don't think the stereo would kill your battery, but an extra battery with an isolator wouldn't be a bad idea.

very nice explanation, thank you..