Board members/Ebayers

Ktbregal

To the powers that be! I believe it should be a rule that if you are going to post an item for sale on here, then it should not be a for sale on Ebay also. Yesterday I agreed to purchase from a member and he sent me his PayPal info. Shortly after this I get a pm saying that it is already sold. I love this hobby and love these cars. I hope we can resolve this. Thanks Kevin

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

To the powers that be! I believe it should be a rule that if you are going to post an item for sale on here, then it should not be a for sale on Ebay also. Yesterday I agreed to purchase from a member and he sent me his PayPal info. Shortly after this I get a pm saying that it is already sold. I love this hobby and love these cars. I hope we can resolve this. Thanks Kevin

I understand the frustration of that. I don't think someone should be locked into posting on only one site. That said, I think it would be a nice courtesy by the seller to add a line indicating that the item is cross-posted to eBay, Craigslist, etc. Just my 2 cents....

Were you first to get the money to him or just have his payment information? If the other buyer paid him first that sucks, but first money wins.

Sounds like a fairly isolated incident to me. Not so much and 'ebay' thing as a 'advertized in more than one place' thing.

Really think a rule is necessary?

doesn't happen so much on this board, but others that i'm on there are so many flakes who ask for your paypal info and say they're going to send it, and then you never hear from them again. money definitely talks in most cases. I know it's frustrating as i've had it happen to me before but it is what it is. (y)

Well put Earl I agreed to buy and settled on shipping. I guess in the matter of minutes someone paid through Ebay. If I had known about Ebay I would have either not asked or been more aggressive.

Sounds like one of those 'shit happens' type things. I have no knowledge of anything concerning your transaction but I have a feeling the seller was under the gun.

Ebay takes 10% of what it sells for and 10% of what you collect for postage and then paypal pops him for 3% of the total collected.

I have a feeling he'd rather sold it to you. Since those fees can add up to close to 1/4 of the money.

It's up to the seller what he or she wants to sell and for how much and to whom. Personally I would never list on eBay without alerting that I did but even then it's still up to the seller. Maybe the seller doesn't want to sell to the first person who paid or has a local buyer and doesn't want to ship. Then he simply refunds the other buyer. Nothing can be done about this. You can't end an eBay auction when it's near the end. eBay will always get your final value fee. I've won auctions and know the seller shafted me because they had a no reserve auction and wasn't happy with the price it went for but there's little you can do to prove it even though they are legally obligated to sell you the item and not refund your payment. I've found that ebay's fees are ridiculous but the price you sell for is usually way more than you would elsewhere. eBay is a hassle but you reach so many people it's hard to leave it out of the equation if you're looking for profit.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

A counter point to the statement above is the buyers who say I want your part and hold for me and I will send you the money or pick up the item and then poof they disappear or I get my car got stolen, or my car broke or etc...... I've heard all the stories before and no longer believe anybody so the first guy who makes payment gets the item. Regular people who I have dealt with before get preferential treatment because I know they aren't B.S either.

Also I prefer local buyers because they can inspect the parts personally and see what they are getting. Don't get me wrong I have sold plenty of things to plenty of people through the mail and most transactions don't stand out but the 1 A Hole in the crowd always stands out