Blue smoke on start up and reving off idle

bogie1

Well I finaly have my 86' GN running strong and consistant. It took 2 yrs of build up to reach this point.
I just noticed that when I start it up a cloud of blue smoke comes out the exhaust. Also if I blip the throttle off idle I can see some blue from the exhaust. Not like I am spraying for bugs but it is noticable. Does this indicate rings or valve seals of some kind?

Original owner, 136,000 valve covers never been off.

Any Ideas? How worried should I be?

It can also be caused by oil in your intake. I installed a homemade pcv catchcan on mine, and about 1000 miles later, the puff at startup is 90% gone. Take your PCV valve out, plug the port where it plugs up to the vacuum block, and remove the drivers side breather. Do you see smoke coming out? Your rings and/or valve seals arent in great shape. Also, stick your hand over the breather tube to plug it up. Rev the motor up and see if you feel pressure.
Ive had the revving problem before. I turned my cam sensor a little counter clockwise, and it went away. Best to adjust it to spec with the instructions on Gnttype.org. That is, if the site isnt down like it seems to be all the time lately.:mad: