blown HG

27Skulls

Has anyone been lucky enough just to change out head gaskets and had no problems with engine internals? My drivers side went out a few nights ago and the rad is perfectly clean as well as cylinders #1 and #2. Drained the pan and about a gallon of water-antifreeze came first then about a quart of the oil-water mix. Oil filter is contaminated. I've had new OEM HG's PN: 25528486, for a while and the holes for the cylinders are "not" perfectly round! Is this normal for head gaskets?

You need to resurface the heads or it will happen again sooner than latter. Need new bolts too.. and address why the HG let go. Done a lot of cars over the years with no issues.

One of our local mechanics rebuilt this engine six years ago, and there's only 9,000 miles on this beast. I'll take your advice Julio, pull the engine and do it right. What puzzles me is, I "never" once, jumped on this engine, fed it the best oil and quite often. Even ran Xylene in it to decrease chance of detonation.

Thanks,
Walt

You might need to replace the oil pick up..

Pull the motor. Its a good time to find more problems..

One of our local mechanics rebuilt this engine six years ago, and there's only 9,000 miles on this beast. I'll take your advice Julio, pull the engine and do it right. What puzzles me is, I "never" once, jumped on this engine, fed it the best oil and quite often. Even ran Xylene in it to decrease chance of detonation.

Thanks,
Walt

A few years ago I built an engine for a customer. We use what we are brought. In this case we re-used a stock timing cover that had the oil pump blueprinted yada yada yada.. start engine for break-in.. run it for 10 minutes check oil.. milkshaked.. We're thinking cracked heads, cracked block, etc.. it ended up being the timing cover.

See building an engine you can get all your clearances dead on.. but then bolt on a simple intake manifold or timing cover thats now 25 years old.. and whalla. These parts have nothing to do with machining, type of oil used, octane, etc. You have a 25 year old motor.. even when rebuilt has a lot of 25 year old parts getting re-used.. and there you have it :D

LOL, I bought a new OEM GM cover about 4 years ago to be installed "one day", and now that day has come. Also, bought a new GM complete cam sensor and that will go in also. Even with me doing the labor, this will probably cost me around 2,000.00.:eek:
I hope to God, there are no major problems with the heads and the block. That would be sad! I know the General decided not to install seals on the exhaust guides. Is it possible and advisable to have the heads machined to accept seals on those guides as well?
My engine has a stock, flat tappet cam and there is a "Rollmaster" double roller chain on the car now. Is it safe to stick with another
identical, new set up on this re-build?

I would say try and diagnose the problem with engine inside car. Especially the coolant leak. If you drop oil pan and pressurize the system, there should be no doubt. Unless its a head gasket, and those would be suspect if the pressure test doesnt work(cough Cometic).

The cam is easy test.. just pull the VC and spin the engine over. A wiped lobe wont open the valve as much.