Blew up top end I think (1987 GN)

Gauges, etc.

My question was purely in jest after those pics you posted...:biggrin: I'm confident your car will be fine since you're going about everything the smart way, unlike my neighbor across the street who I swear is going to blow up his '86 T Type one of these days from running regular unleaded all the time (including at the track). Make sure you put a good boost gauge in it too as the stock LED bar graph is not to be trusted. Also, I can't remember if you said you installed an RJC Power Plate or not, but I'd recommend it to keep your rear 2 cylinders from leaning out. When you get all the above done post boost & Scanmaster readings & let me know with a PM as I'm interested to know how it's really running for you. Well, I'm off for tonight...enjoy your GN safely...:cool:

Since I have a digital dash panel, I have an Autometer aftermarket boost gauge on the pillar right now - and have all of this time. This is what I've been using to check VAC/boost while driving. I have not yet installed the RJC powerplate, but it's on my list.

I'm seriously thinking about going with MegaSquirt with this. I have a spare MegaSquirt unit that I built and have already set it up (programmed) for the GN - did that tonight. I'm going to get a couple of ECM's and wiring harnesses so I can make a wiring harness adapter so as to not mess with the stock wiring harness in the car and try out the MegaSquirt on this puppy. I get (understand) MegaSquirt and know it's capabilities for tuning. Seems to me that with theses motors, there is a lot of guesswork and a tendency to just throw parts at it not knowing what exactly is going to happen. Just my take so far on tuning these motors. I'm still not sure yet what the tuning process entails with the stock FI components (hardware or software). With MegaSquirt, I have complete control over everything.

The bad part about MegaSquirt is that it's not stock and few people who own these motors understand it. The good part also is that I can say bye-bye to the MAF. :) Again, I'm weighing my options right now. It won't cost me anything to try the MegaSquirt since I already have it. :)

Regarding 'dirty dirty...' above, that's what happens when I spend a week replacing head gaskets and not washing the car after rainfalls. Eeek! She's clean now though (the car, that is...). I drove it to my son's Tee-ball practice tonight and it most certainly drew some cool attention. :) The kids love this car!

Best,

Eric

Update:

The motor is working flawlessly now. Just had my first "race" on Friday since the head gasket replacement, this time with MUCH better results. No knocking, sputtering, or any bad things anymore after setting the Caspers chip to #4 and I always run 93 octane gas in the engine. The chip had been set at #2 when it was knocking (post head gasket replacement). All seems quite well with the world right now. :) The TT chip from Eric should be here sometime this week or next week so I'll be interested to see what effect that has.

I'm going to have a hard time keeping tires on this thing. It's running absolutely FANTASTIC! No problems at all at the moment. I'm running Mobil-1 fully synthetic oil as well and no leaks anywhere. This motor appears to be very solid, for which I'm so happy about right now. I was just out earlier today and driving about 40 (39)MPH and I hit it and the rear tires were squealing. Yes, all is well.

This is also in large part due to all of your help. Thanks again!

I learned a LOT already.

Best,

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI

Enjoy it . These things are a blast when they are running properly.

Bryan

Just when I thought it couldn't run any better, I was presented with the TT chip from Eric. I installed it, following his instructions and started the engine. WHOA! I soon discovered that THIS is the way these engines were intended to run. Again, I thought it couldn't get better, but with Eric's TT chip, it did. The engine runs smooth at all RPM's, idle is PERFECT (no misses or bobbles), the trans shifts just right and the overall response is INCREDIBLE.

Thank you, Eric for your work. Thank you to everyone here for making me get a TT chip.

My engine woes should be a case study for this forum in terms of what can be done with these engines when the advice given is actually listened to and followed through on. I listened and followed through and I now have an engine which, well, I cannot even believe runs this good for it's age. Runs as smooth as my Lexus GS300 2JZ-GE motor - which runs VERY smooth.

Anyway, I'm offering thanks again to all of you. You all helped to save my 1987 Grand National from almost certain demise.

Best to all and Happy Independence Day!!!!

Best,

Eric McCann