Blew up top end I think (1987 GN)

'just a 6' - who is an awesome guy]

Awww, geeze--thanks...:redface:

Eric I found that other MAF screen I had tucked away. It's slightly damaged from when I removed it from my MAF. I also destroyed my spare MAF to get the screen out of it without any damage, but it's the one I put on my car to test the other night and it was no good anyway. The screen from it is much thinner and has a looser mesh than the damaged one, but I'll send you both plus a MAF screen retainer ring and you can decide which one to use. I'm boxing the screens/retainer ring/chip/injectors up tonight; and I'll try to get it shipped tonight if at all possible.

Eric I just shipped your stuff; should be there by the end of the day on June 19th. Check PMs for tracking info...

Crud in cylinders - Jhanson1750 suggestion is a good one

With all the stuff sprayed on the deck I would roll the crank around by hand and see what kind of crap you can get out of the bore. The movment of the pistons will leave the crud at the top of the bore and you can easily wipe it out of there. Just a little tip. Jon Hanson

John, you were right about turning the crank over to reveal the crud left sitting at the top of the pistons/top piston ring. Not a lot of gunk at all, but a few bits that could have been scrapers.

Thanks!

Eric

By FAR the best car enthusiast group I've ever been a part of...

Eric I just shipped your stuff; should be there by the end of the day on June 19th. Check PMs for tracking info...

This is by FAR the best auto enthusiast group I've ever had the privilege of being part of. I cannot express how thankful I am for all of your (each and every one of you) kind and well-thought advice.

You all know that I'm on a budget crisis at this point - as I have another car of the Italian variety that is sucking me bone-dry as well. That car is out the door in short order. You've all, for the most part, been very good about not taking advantage of me as a noobie in terms of money-for-parts to get this thing back on the road.

However, with the help of all of you here, I'm learning quickly about the tender care/attention that the 198x Turbo V6 Buick motor requires. I'm also learning quickly what to look for and what NOT to do.

I DO NOT want this motor to blow up again. I just cannot have that happen - mostly spiritually since the soul of my car craze came from my 1979 Buick Sport Coupe - Turbo. I have a long lasting admiration of these cars and these engines. I learn day-by-day with the later generation (1987) engines, but it's all of you who keep that spirit alive!

Thanks to all!!!

Best,

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI

Eric...if you drop the pan...pull one of you main caps off. make sure the bearings are not showing copper. Also pull a rod cap off or two. Just a little added insurance;)

Pulled oil pan and it was actually pretty clean

Eric...if you drop the pan...pull one of you main caps off. make sure the bearings are not showing copper. Also pull a rod cap off or two. Just a little added insurance;)

I pulled the oil pan and there was some gunk, not a lot, at the bottom of the pan. Good thing I took it off. :) Pulled the rod caps off of two rods and 2 mains and the bearings look really good - nothing outside of normal wear. Oil pick-up was average too. Just dirty as it would normally be after 21 years - some funk on the screen, but not much and nothing really obvious hanging there. I think *most* of the head gasket material was left on the top half of the motor. Every chunk I found matched up to missing areas of the head gasket - with the exception of grit that ended up in the oil pan (as you all suspected).

I think I got lucky that I was able to shut the motor down within 30 seconds - or less of this happening. Looks like I'm in good shape. Most of the motor is now re-assembled. Just waiting for the UPS truck to show up with some misc. parts.

I ordered a TT chip last night too. :) So far, so good.

Best,

Eric

This is by FAR the best auto enthusiast group I've ever had the privilege of being part of. I cannot express how thankful I am for all of your (each and every one of you) kind and well-thought advice.

My sentiments exactly about this group. It has been very helpful to me as well.

I'm glad I was able to help you out some Eric, and you helped me out too--I just ordered a new polished aluminum radiator a few minutes ago from Mark Hueffman, and I managed to get my leaking AC Delco stock replacement radiator covered under warranty by the vendor I bought it from. He said it would have a 3-4 week :)mad: !!!) turnaround time; that's why I went for the aluminum radiator so my Buick wouldn't be down for half the summer. When I told said vendor how disgusted I was about the turnaround time and that I was getting a different radiator from somebody else, he agreed to send me a refund in lieu of another radiator. Hope to get my GN back on the road by next weekend!

Eric, very smart move not going with the Cometics with a stock motor. They are a PAIN to get sealed.

You have done very well with the teardown being new to these cars. Stay with it and you will be back on the road in no time. As I stated in my PM, listen to these guys about Scan Tools!!! They are a MUST have tool to keep these cars from detonating.

Bryan

Motor is FINALLY back together - completely. 1 more oil change and I'll be ready for the streets. :) I have a Casper's dial-a-tune chip in right now and it's SUPER mild. This is good though. I can build up as things progress with this (what has now become a) project.

Motor runs great right now. Lacking a bit in the boost department, but we'll see what Eric does for me with the TT chip. The Pit Bull chip which was in the car when I got it made this engine roar like crazy. SCARY fast, but also destroyed my motor - along with other things which contributed.

Thanks all for your help!

Best,

Eric McCann
Germantown, WI

When you get tuned right with the TT chip, it'll be even faster.... and you'll be confident you aren't pushing any limits while you moniter your NEW SCAN TOOL!! ;) Sounds like you did a great job with the repair.... bet you learned alot in the process, too... :smile:

Git r duN!

When you get tuned right with the TT chip, it'll be even faster.... and you'll be confident you aren't pushing any limits while you moniter your NEW SCAN TOOL!! ;) Sounds like you did a great job with the repair.... bet you learned alot in the process, too... :smile:

Good and bad news here right now is that over the weekend, I can hear the motor knocking under high boost. Fine, whatever, I'll take care of it. BUT, I will be VERY interested to see what the TT chip does.

I took care of EVERYTHING on the motor. Now it's tuning time. Here is my inspiration for tuning....

Attachments

• sarahottie.jpg
    sarahottie.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 167
  • sarahottie2.jpg
    sarahottie2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 175
Ah yeah....that can of Miller Lite looks tasty!!!!! Oh yeah..the chic looks good too!;)

Knocking a bit yet. Not getting on it until I get my scan tool and the new TT chip. It still runs a LOT better and I'm completely confident driving it around town and such right now. I just have to be patient and SMART about how I proceed.

Thanks for all of your help!

Best,

Eric

Knocking a bit yet. Not getting on it until I get my scan tool and the new TT chip. It still runs a LOT better and I'm completely confident driving it around town and such right now. I just have to be patient and SMART about how I proceed.

Thanks for all of your help!

Best,

Eric

My question was purely in jest after those pics you posted...:biggrin: I'm confident your car will be fine since you're going about everything the smart way, unlike my neighbor across the street who I swear is going to blow up his '86 T Type one of these days from running regular unleaded all the time (including at the track). Make sure you put a good boost gauge in it too as the stock LED bar graph is not to be trusted. Also, I can't remember if you said you installed an RJC Power Plate or not, but I'd recommend it to keep your rear 2 cylinders from leaning out. When you get all the above done post boost & Scanmaster readings & let me know with a PM as I'm interested to know how it's really running for you. Well, I'm off for tonight...enjoy your GN safely...:cool: