Billet Tensioner

Well my Tensioner that I bought is leaking grease from the back. Not from the pulley but where the internal spring is. So I think I might need to send mine in.

Well my Tensioner that I bought is leaking grease from the back. Not from the pulley but where the internal spring is. So I think I might need to send mine in.
A good amount of grease is used during assembly for the roller bearings.

Old thread, new problem...
R& r'd the engine, cleaned everything up. No issues w/ belt alignment, noise.
Engine fell thru it's ass, r&r'd. Same ft accessories, belt, etc. Loud squeek on the belt. Appears to be at/near the tensioner. Removed pulley, checked brg, cleaned the contact surface, put it back on. Still squeeks. Removed pulley, again. Loosened all ft accessory fasteners, retorqued. Belt contact appears to be on the ft 2/3's of the pulley face, belt running against the ft lip.
The ? is, do the tensioner internals "give up", and allow the pulley to tip, so the belt won't track? This tensioner has 59K on it, and appears to be snug, good spring tension.
Have others changed to the billet tensioner for just noise issues?

Sure am glad the guy that invented the engine hoist, also designed the V-Sicks!:rolleyes:

I solved my belt squeal ....
Installed a 4 rib belt instead of the 6 ....problem gone !!! Yes I have raced with it too , no issues

Bryan

Belt to long or to short? What lower crank pulley are you running?
Stock crank pulley. All the rest of the pulleys are stock, also.
Interesting "experiment". I dug thru the trash pile, and found what appears to be the OEM belt, complete w/ GM pt #. I put it on, marked the tensioner where the indicator sits. Dead on in the middle, from the rt hand hash mark.
Removed it, put the new belt on, hash mark moved all the way to the left, in between the 2 hash marks.
Called the AP guy. He said the new belt was .7" shorter. He also said the "belt rep" had told him that moving the tensioner to a higher load, using shorter belts, can/will cause noise. My thinking: Use of a belt that puts max load on the tensioner, & off the "sweet spot", can cause it to deflect, and run the belt toward the ft of the pulley. The new belt is worn on the ft edge.
He has a new, same length belt. I'm going to try the old belt, then a new one. If it works, I'll just keep the oldie for an emergency.

Bryan, an interesting use of a 4 rib belt!(y)

I'll make the tests, and report back.

Too tight of a belt will eat the front alternator bearing too. Recommended is the 6K640 as the OEM equivalent. Many go with the tighter 6K635 but I found those to be too tight there is a 6K637 which is a Subaru and other makers belt so it isn't that expensive and that seems to work fine.
The billet tensioner guy seemed to have dropped off the earth I haven't communicated with him for a while since he didn't keep his word.

Too tight of a belt will eat the front alternator bearing too. Recommended is the 6K640 as the OEM equivalent. Many go with the tighter 6K635 but I found those to be too tight there is a 6K637 which is a Subaru and other makers belt so it isn't that expensive and that seems to work fine.
The billet tensioner guy seemed to have dropped off the earth I haven't communicated with him for a while since he didn't keep his word.

Steve, what I found this am:
1. The recommended belt is 64.0" {6K640}.
The belt I took off w/ the GM # 2552518, is a 6PK1619, {61.9"}
The belt that crosses to the belt I took off is 6PK1620 {61.9"}
I looked at the Hiway Stars site.
They have the following info:
Gates belt # K0606, 6PK16?? Is said to be the correct belt length.
They also have an original GM belt, pt #v 88984193, @ 1620mm/63.78".
So, after putting the belt I first had for a replacement at 63.0", the tensioner indicator was too tite.
I would think that a 64" would be too loose, and the tensioner indicator would be out of range??
I now have a NAPA, {Gates}, # 060637/6PK1620. It's going on in a few minutes.
Will report back.

I have to look at marks on tensioner but it's seems the belt is too loose or spring doesn't have enough tension. I can literally move tensioner up and down by hand w ease...