Billet 67 runs 9.71

THS will be interesting. I know of another car that will run good:biggrin: Not mine though:(

THS will be interesting. I know of another car that will run good:biggrin: Not mine though:(

When we leave the dyno today, we should know where we're at and what we need to work on :) See you in an hour

What we need to take from this thread is the capability of the turbo.....nothing more.

It doesn't matter if it's a stroker or stock stroke. The turbo is capable of 9.70's on any motor. Cal could list everything this car has and I guarantee people could copy it down to the T and only run 10.50 if they aren't on their game. Every detail has to be gone over to get the car to work, get the right boost curve in it, get the proper valve springs and valvetrain for the boost level and rpm range. This is why paying someone like Dan or RPE to build a motor program is worth the $$$$. It's all about the details.

What should be learned from all of this is if your wanting to go mid 10's......you don't need a 67mm. Put something smaller on it to help with spool-up and driveability. If you can't go mid 10's with a new 62mm.......something is wrong and it's not the turbo.

The turbo is capable of 9.70's on any motor. Cal could list everything this car has and I guarantee people could copy it down to the T and only run 10.50 if they aren't on their game.

Nuf said.........

What we need to take from this thread is the capability of the turbo.....nothing more.

It doesn't matter if it's a stroker or stock stroke. The turbo is capable of 9.70's on any motor. Cal could list everything this car has and I guarantee people could copy it down to the T and only run 10.50 if they aren't on their game. Every detail has to be gone over to get the car to work, get the right boost curve in it, get the proper valve springs and valvetrain for the boost level and rpm range. This is why paying someone like Dan or RPE to build a motor program is worth the $$$$. It's all about the details.

What should be learned from all of this is if your wanting to go mid 10's......you don't need a 67mm. Put something smaller on it to help with spool-up and driveability. If you can't go mid 10's with a new 62mm.......something is wrong and it's not the turbo.
Imo its capable of 9.20's-9.30's if the correct combo was in place and it wsa ran hard. Its the same ex wheel as the 71 that has been 152+. You would be working it hard but i can see it happening. If people buy a 67 turbo and run high 10's oh well. Its not an accomplishment by any means.

I'm now a believer. Sometimes I just need to see something happen in front of me.

Its still nice to know it has more left in it..Even if you buy it and dont use it to its max potential and it also shows that whatever is wrong with your combo its not your turbo so it forces you to work harder at getting things right...

Imo its capable of 9.20's-9.30's if the correct combo was in place and it wsa ran hard. Its the same ex wheel as the 71 that has been 152+. You would be working it hard but i can see it happening. If people buy a 67 turbo and run high 10's oh well. Its not an accomplishment by any means.

Hmm - I see you've changed you're tune about this turbo. I said this was a 9 sec capable turbo over a year ago.

I said it then and I'll say it again now - it's a 9 sec turbo with the proper combination and in the hands of a good tuner. A lot of folks will get this turbo and be lucky to crack the 10s. It needs a good cam and heads to see the real benefits.

I'm kinda waiting to see if any of these show up in TSM...... wouldn't that be someting to ponder...........I do think however.....it would likely require the 4 bolt version though to have a shot in TSM to be competitive.

I'm kinda waiting to see if any of these show up in TSM...... wouldn't that be someting to ponder...........I do think however.....it would likely require the 4 bolt version though to have a shot in TSM to be competitive.

See Bison's quote.

Hmm - I see you've changed you're tune about this turbo. I said this was a 9 sec capable turbo over a year ago.

I said it then and I'll say it again now - it's a 9 sec turbo with the proper combination and in the hands of a good tuner. A lot of folks will get this turbo and be lucky to crack the 10s. It needs a good cam and heads to see the real benefits.

Where did i say it wasnt a 9 sec turbo? The old cast wheel has been 9's and i doubt anyone ran it all the way out. The old 6776 has been 9's. Imports are making a lot more power than we are with it. Im talking a 67HPQ here. Mid to low 9's. The 6765 should be able to hit 9.50's. Imo a 6265 could hit 9's with the right combo.

Where did i say it wasnt a 9 sec turbo? The old cast wheel has been 9's and i doubt anyone ran it all the way out. The old 6776 has been 9's. Imports are making a lot more power than we are with it. Im talking a 67HPQ here. Mid to low 9's. The 6765 should be able to hit 9.50's. Imo a 6265 could hit 9's with the right combo.

Not trying to be an A-hole but since you asked - remember the thread I started back in early 2009 when the billet 67s first came out?

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...let-wheel-turbo-has-landed-3.html#post2144723

I doubt running 9's with 6765 will be an easy chore. Nevermind mid 9's if thats even possible in 3 bolt config at 3600lbs. The 6776 and its replacement the 6765 are very solid mid 10 sec turbos (with a good tune of course) in 3 bolt trim with cast wheels at around 25 psi. Mid 9's would be 150hp more out of nothing but a comp wheel design change. Not going to happen. Well not very easy in a 3600 lb car anyway. The HPQ version could go mid 9's with the 67 compressor wheel but probably only in a heads up class where the racers have to beat the balls off it to run those times. In those cases its possible but not anywhere near practical for someone to try and duplicate it if they wanted similar performance out of a combo.

I will be the first to agree that it's not a "bolt-on magic 9sec turbo" but it can get the job done with the proper combination as we see here in this thread. This guy's supposedly doing it at 3800# to boot. You are right though - it's not an easy chore and there are certainly better/easier choices out there if 9's are the goal.

Not trying to be an A-hole but since you asked - remember the thread I started back in early 2009 when the billet 67s first came out?

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...let-wheel-turbo-has-landed-3.html#post2144723

I will be the first to agree that it's not a "bolt-on magic 9sec turbo" but it can get the job done with the proper combination as we see here in this thread. This guy's supposedly doing it at 3800# to boot. You are right though - it's not an easy chore and there are certainly better/easier choices out there if 9's are the goal.
No problem Will. You can be an a-hole to me anytime you want. I still stand by my post where i said it wont be easy. Never said it was impossible. Not many will get there. Not many could run sub 10.5 with the 6776 even though it has been 9's. We dont know his combo so we cant really comment on it. If hes 3800lbs then his bench racing bud knows alot more about the car than we may think. No class racer will come with their car at 3800lbs if they want to win. Therefore we should expect easy 9.40's out of that car on the same tune it ran the 9.60's. If there is a car within a tenth or less of him and his car runs slower than 9.40's id call BS on the 3800lbs if he hits the scales and is at the minimum for the class. If someones that close in a heads up race you are going to throw it all at it. Its not the compressor wheel thats getting it done. Way more to it than that. It sure is easy to get boost out of those new turbos though. Seem to be way less sensitive to backpressure. Very few have the nuts to crank it up.

No problem Will. You can be an a-hole to me anytime you want. I still stand by my post where i said it wont be easy. Never said it was impossible. Not many will get there. Not many could run sub 10.5 with the 6776 even though it has been 9's. We dont know his combo so we cant really comment on it. If hes 3800lbs then his bench racing bud knows alot more about the car than we may think. No class racer will come with their car at 3800lbs if they want to win. Therefore we should expect easy 9.40's out of that car on the same tune it ran the 9.60's. If there is a car within a tenth or less of him and his car runs slower than 9.40's id call BS on the 3800lbs if he hits the scales and is at the minimum for the class. If someones that close in a heads up race you are going to throw it all at it. Its not the compressor wheel thats getting it done. Way more to it than that. It sure is easy to get boost out of those new turbos though. Seem to be way less sensitive to backpressure. Very few have the nuts to crank it up.

Like I said Bison, I don't mean to come across wrong. I agree with what you're saying and with the fact that we don't have enough information to make much out of this guy's combo. Reading though this would lead one to believe the car is THS legal with a compressor cover change. After my earlier post today, I was informed that this is a T4 flanged turbo so that changes things a bit. The 3800#s is a bit questionable - not many TRs that heavy. The billet 67s are probably capable of 35# plus and the real power isn't there until 25# or so.

Since I'm probably just going to be farting around with my street car at BG this year, I may just have to be one of the few with the nuts to crank one up. I didn't really build the current engine or go with the billet 6765 with intentions of running 9's - it definitely has a low 10 in it but I may just have to crank it to 30#s and see what happens. I ain't skeered................:biggrin:

Like I said Bison, I don't mean to come across wrong. I agree with what you're saying and with the fact that we don't have enough information to make much out of this guy's combo. Reading though this would lead one to believe the car is THS legal with a compressor cover change. After my earlier post today, I was informed that this is a T4 flanged turbo so that changes things a bit. The 3800#s is a bit questionable - not many TRs that heavy. The billet 67s are probably capable of 35# plus and the real power isn't there until 25# or so.

Since I'm probably just going to be farting around with my street car at BG this year, I may just have to be one of the few with the nuts to crank one up. I didn't really build the current engine or go with the billet 6765 with intentions of running 9's - it definitely has a low 10 in it but I may just have to crank it to 30#s and see what happens. I ain't skeered................:biggrin:
No offense taken. If the T4 thing is true dropping to the minimum weight and a 3 bolt isnt going to hurt it. The weight removal would more than offset the ex restriction. Crank it up and let it rip. Billet 67 is 35psi capable all day long. I hope we get to see some run like that.

My Buddy is bringing the car to BG and it will do 9.71 or better with the 3 by 2non ported cover.
All we have to do is change out his aluminum fuel cell and then its on. The aluminum fuel cell and 3 by 2 cover is all that seperates us from the other ths cars.

Go ahead and reserve the trophy guys.

ULOST

I wasn't at the Nats. Did this car show up???

Someone did go 9.90 in ths though from what I read. Thats cool!

That was Sean Hayes with his street car. Awesome runs Sean, congrats on running the first 9 second THS pass.

Once people start turning up the wick on these Billet 67 turbos, more and more impressive results will be posted. They are both serious turbos for stock motor builds and stroker motors. Billet 6765 and Billet 67HPQ are very popular through out the country right now, especially with SP and HP compressor covers. With Will running easy low 10's with his Billet 6765 and stroker motors running high 9's without having to scream the boost to the moon, these are both win win combos.

I'll still stick by my original specs:

- Full weight car with a stock 231 bolt on combo to a built 235ci combo wanting low to high 10's?
Billet 6765 with either .63 or .85 A/R Buick 3-bolt. A/R would depend on the desired goals.

Full weight car with 240-250ci stroker motor build, wanting mid to high 9's? Billet 67 HPQ with .85 A/R Buick 3-bolt.

Who knows? Maybe we'll see some low 9's on a stroker combo with the boost up to 30-32 psi and timing at 26*. It's definitely possible.
Keep those updates coming everyone and happy hunting out there.

Patrick