Big smoking problem from valve covers

Damn, I think I did the same one! Don't remember.... Mine was a coolant oil fuckfest. [emoji30] I'm currently using RJC's bulletproof head gaskets.
I just ordered that kit with some other turbo gaskets and valve covers and exhaust manifolds, wasn't sure about vendors on this site but rjc seems like a good place so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May want to do a search or 2 if you havn't done the head gasket thing on a buick before.
A couple things to think about is ,are you reusing the stock head bolts i believe they are tty and are probably stretched,(that is assuming they are the stock ones).
If they are stock, you may want to upgrade to arp's ,especially if you are planning on high boost in the future.
And remember that these bolts are going into your water jackets and need sealer, not just a bolt lube.

While it's apart you may also want to try looking at your cam lobes and make sure that none of them are looking worn.
These motors are known to wipe out cam lobes if people don't use zddp oil addditive (For more zinc in oil ) or using some synthetic oils, etc. etc. especially if stronger springs were added .
If you have a worn lobe or lobes ,now is the time to discover it.
Good luck .
Yes arp studs are on order, the guy a rjc informed me about the sealer needed for the studs, when I pulled the lifters to inspect them they barely have any wear on them, my uncle maintained the car pretty well on fluids and mentioned something about 15w40 schaffers oil he's been running in it seems pretty thick does that sound right? But all looks good, no big carbon build up on the Pistons or intake runners.

Also, I seem to have a wastegate or controller issue. I've got it turned all the way down and it was around 17-18psi and just seems to be going up and I don't even touch it. When the head gasket popped I seen my gauge as 23-24psi, I've got a simple controller, has a black knob and seems cheap. Any suggestions?

Also, I seem to have a wastegate or controller issue. I've got it turned all the way down and it was around 17-18psi and just seems to be going up and I don't even touch it. When the head gasket popped I seen my gauge as 23-24psi, I've got a simple controller, has a black knob and seems cheap. Any suggestions?

Can you try not using the manual boost controller? Just route Turbo to Wastegate and see how that works. The internal spring on the Wastegate is for a set psi... This would be the easiest way to figure out the problem. If boost still climbs high now that you aren't using boost controller, then you know it's the Wastegate.

I've heard horror stories from people that use the manual controller (however, I'm still using one... Mine is the same simple knob, black plastic controller that looks cheap too). They're pretty flimsy and can be wide open even though you've got it turned down.

Can you try not using the manual boost controller? Just route Turbo to Wastegate and see how that works. The internal spring on the Wastegate is for a set psi... This would be the easiest way to figure out the problem. If boost still climbs high now that you aren't using boost controller, then you know it's the Wastegate.

I've heard horror stories from people that use the manual controller (however, I'm still using one... Mine is the same simple knob, black plastic controller that looks cheap too). They're pretty flimsy and can be wide open even though you've got it turned down.

Will definitely try that, guess that would tell me what pressure springs are in it too then?. And I believe that when I turn the controller up it just keeps turning, and feels like the valve isn't moving... I'm leaning toward that it's broken but I will check when she's up and running.

Will definitely try that, guess that would tell me what pressure springs are in it too then?. And I believe that when I turn the controller up it just keeps turning, and feels like the valve isn't moving... I'm leaning toward that it's broken but I will check when she's up and running.
Cool, let me know how it goes once everything is up and running. This has been a fear of mine. Yes, you'll be able to tell what specified spring you're using.

My controller feels slightly stiff when I'm turning the knob, and it clicks when I push it back down. It shouldn't turn freely.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Update on the Buick, everything is running well and tight. Running on wastegate at the moment which seems pretty high 25+, so looks like a boost controller asap. I've attached some photos over the past few days. I've got a lot of cleaning up to do still, but looking forward to years with this car and making some new friends.

Thanks to rjc "bulletproof head gasket kit" and other gaskets. Jason shipped on time and also gave me some pointers on other things.

Nice work. Looks really good. I was going to mention you can run year specific license plates in Ohio but I looked them up, their green and white, lol. Historical ones look better.

Thank you, yeah for sure keeping the historical plates. Now I got power master problems as my brakes went out on me the other week, saving up for a new booster and hopefully get this thing up to Woodward this year.

Thank you, yeah for sure keeping the historical plates. Now I got power master problems as my brakes went out on me the other week, saving up for a new booster and hopefully get this thing up to Woodward this year.

Nice work. Looks really good. I was going to mention you can run year specific license plates in Ohio but I looked them up, their green and white, lol. Historical ones look better.
I blew a head gasket on my way home from buying mine.

I had just called my wife and told her that I would be home in the car in five minutes so she could see it when I pulled up, but my buddy that took me to pick the car up pulled up beside me in his Camaro and stopped and that's where things went wrong.

Needless to say when I pulled up to my house and the car was spitting and sputtering and smoking my wife was not happy.

I noticed the power master in your tear down picks. I replaced with a standard vacuum set up for the gbody. I purchased from pep boys and got pedal from junkyard. Was very inexpensive and works well.
My accumulator ball went bad from sitting so pump was running and breaks were spongy.
Joel

I had just called my wife and told her that I would be home in the car in five minutes so she could see it when I pulled up, but my buddy that took me to pick the car up pulled up beside me in his Camaro and stopped and that's where things went wrong.

Needless to say when I pulled up to my house and the car was spitting and sputtering and smoking my wife was not happy.

nothing like buying a car and having to fix it before you get it home!, I just recently got done doing a 408 stroker on my 4th gen Camaro and I decided to take out the buick for the first actual drive around the city and took it to the moon.... (because I can and I am not afraid to take that accelerator through the carpet in either of my cars lol), and I found the weak point real fast... looked like a spring barbeque in my rear view mirror and 5 lanes of traffic behind me got a nice oil coating... I mean its Cleveland we like to call that "rust protection" ;) but now shes down for a master cylinder.... I will have it back out hopefully soon!

nothing like buying a car and having to fix it before you get it home!, I just recently got done doing a 408 stroker on my 4th gen Camaro and I decided to take out the buick for the first actual drive around the city and took it to the moon.... (because I can and I am not afraid to take that accelerator through the carpet in either of my cars lol), and I found the weak point real fast... looked like a spring barbeque in my rear view mirror and 5 lanes of traffic behind me got a nice oil coating... I mean its Cleveland we like to call that "rust protection" ;) but now shes down for a master cylinder.... I will have it back out hopefully soon! I got this car so cheap I don't even care what blows or breaks, if the motor goes..... its time to take it to the max (y)

nothing like buying a car and having to fix it before you get it home!, I just recently got done doing a 408 stroker on my 4th gen Camaro and I decided to take out the buick for the first actual drive around the city and took it to the moon.... (because I can and I am not afraid to take that accelerator through the carpet in either of my cars lol), and I found the weak point real fast... looked like a spring barbeque in my rear view mirror and 5 lanes of traffic behind me got a nice oil coating... I mean its Cleveland we like to call that "rust protection" ;) but now shes down for a master cylinder.... I will have it back out hopefully soon! I got this car so cheap I don't even care what blows or breaks, if the motor goes..... its time to take it to the max (y)

if a moderator can come in and delete my duplicate posts that would be great.... between my phone and my work computer ive come to the conclusion... they suck...

I noticed the power master in your tear down picks. I replaced with a standard vacuum set up for the gbody. I purchased from pep boys and got pedal from junkyard. Was very inexpensive and works well.
My accumulator ball went bad from sitting so pump was running and breaks were spongy.
Joel
pep boys really? Id have to look and see if I got one local, im just not sure what to do between going vacuum or keeping the powermaster, I believe that this is the original unit and it finally took a dump, I was told to stick with the powermaster over the vacuum.... im new at this stuff and I got 2 weeks before woodward and id like to take the GN up there.... at the same time I am trying to get my Camaro to pass e-check but the som bitch wont fully complete this stupid drive cycle and I got 10 days before my plates expire... need to do some cold start junk to make my "02 heater" "ready" , its looking like the Camaro will be up there unless I can get a powermaster from somebody (y), maybe have one laying around collecting dust... long shot...

I installed my vacuum In a day and was easy. All you need other than the canister is the break pedal and some vacuum line and I purchased the replacement vacuum block for the top of the intake that includes extra nipple for the breaks
The set up works great and I build plenty of vacuum in between pulls to have no issues stopping

The stories on the power master spooked me and I pulled it out and put on the shelf

I'm happy I went with vacuum

I do need to replace my break pads and shoes as they are original and in thinking modern pads would provide a bit more bite

Good luck either way
Joel