Big Question, Need Input! 1/8th Mile Track!

Would you consider running at an 1/8th mile track?

• Yes!

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • No!

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Not sure!

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
Okay guys, you know I am always up front and honest so here is the deal...

You know we have been trying to do a National type event, at least at first, here in NC! Well we have tried a few times now to rent Charlotte and just flat can not afford what they require:frown:

So we have a couple of options. We would like to have the event near a big city so the ladies and kids could have something to do. Most of these tracks are 1/8th mile though...

Would anyone be interested in running the same type of classes but on an 1/8 mile track instead?

Are other option can be Rockingham which is a full 1/4 and nice track, however it is in the middle of NOWHERE;) and there wouldn't be much for the family could do...

Just tossing out some ideas. I have a great friend and member of this community trying all he can to help me with this... If he wants to chime in fine...

TIA!

ALL FOR IT!!!!

Thats pretty much all we have down here and I personally like it alot. Seems like it would be less wear & tear on your car.. Less gas usage... Less heat soak..

Scot W.

race

I absolutely love eighth mile racing, lots less wear and tear on the car, spectator's can see the cars better and it's over quicker. No down sides I can think of. Please go for it.

bob and trampas

Attachments

• 100_0881.jpg
    100_0881.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 667
1/8

Running 1/8 mi. was discussed at BG by several fast car owners and they all agreed on 1/8 mi.

Running 1/8 mi. was discussed at BG by several fast car owners and they all agreed on 1/8 mi.

I agree 100%. I was in on a couple of discussions about 1/8th mile vs 1/4mile while in BG. It's easier on parts, safer, and just as much fun. I can say from experience that the 2nd 1/8th of the 1/4 can get scary as the speed crosses the 160mph mark - especially considering Regals have the aerodynamics of a brick no matter what you do to them.

I am shocked:eek: Wow good deal so far:biggrin:

I want to hear from the TSM and TSO guys. We would want to run those classes if we have an event... Scott, Lonnie, Chris?

I am shocked:eek: Wow good deal so far:biggrin:

I want to hear from the TSM and TSO guys. We would want to run those classes if we have an event... Scott, Lonnie, Chris?
Shane I sent a PM to some others to give there input.

Sounds like this could be a great event!

Scot W.

Depending on time of year and how close it is to another event will be my deciding factors, not 1/8 vs 1/4. Personally I would prefer the 1/4 mile even if it is in the middle of nowhere, but then again I do not have the experience some of the other guys who have posted do. Also, it is doubtful my wife will come anyway :(

The biggest problem we run into down here is events like BG and Norwalk which are so close together and so far away. Speaking for myself only, I would love to come to the Carolina's for an event just try not to stack it on top of another one.

Ok, guess I will chime in:cool:

The thought process is to have a 3 day event as follows:

Wed - gates open at 5pm to allow parking and setup
Thur - Time runs would start around noon and run until 9pm. May throw in a gamblers race if enough interest
Fri - TNT and 3 rounds of qualifying for whatever classes show up. There will be a Quick 8 for fastest doorcars there
Sat - Car Show and Elimination rounds for said classes.

This is just a forsite of the thought process that we have. There will be raffle tickets for giveaways (LARGE GIVEAWAYS:smile: ).

Would be vendors and swap meet for anyone interested. The facility in question sits on over 200 acres of land so parking is a non-issue. The track is one of the best in NC, Fully concrete with a large shutdown area with 2 return roads, 1 on either side of the track. I also would like to have this possibly early in the year say around middle or end of March. Not to invade on other events of this nature. EVERYONE up North will be tired of snow and be ready to make the trip,

Thoughts??

I have a thought......

Now you NC boys are cooking with Hot Grease!!!

Sounds like a fun weekend!!! Like the idea of being earlier in the year!

Sounds like a great idea! I have to agree about the dates. While I would like to go to the Norwalk event, I just can't swing two events in two weeks. Spread them out so you aren't competing with another event.

While I do like 1/4 mile as it has always been the "standard", most drag races are decided by the 1/8th mile mark anyway. Safety is another big factor - a crash at the big end of a 1/4 would be a LOT worse than at the end of an 1/8th.

FWIW

I never thought I would enjoy 1/8 mile racing... But after moving down here to TN, it's all we have around here, and I really, REALLY enjoy it!!!

Go for it!!

I agree 100%. I was in on a couple of discussions about 1/8th mile vs 1/4mile while in BG. It's easier on parts, safer, and just as much fun. I can say from experience that the 2nd 1/8th of the 1/4 can get scary as the speed crosses the 160mph mark - especially considering Regals have the aerodynamics of a brick no matter what you do to them.

I couldn't agree more. Especially the small tire stuff. Having them break loose at the 1000' mark has a serious pucker factor:eek: Not to mention 99% of all races are over by the 1/8 mile.

I couldn't agree more. Especially the small tire stuff. Having them break loose at the 1000' mark has a serious pucker factor:eek: Not to mention 99% of all races are over by the 1/8 mile.

Chris if we decide to have this will you consider making this a point series race??

I see you guys are putting somthing together will there be room for v8 cars or is this gong to be a v-6 deal. I know you have your alpha bet soup classes but anything for us slow v-8 cars

I see you guys are putting somthing together will there be room for v8 cars or is this gong to be a v-6 deal. I know you have your alpha bet soup classes but anything for us slow v-8 cars

Of course!! We are open to suggestions about anything. Would be nice to get up a match race between Booher and another car, best 2 of 3 or something that way Mike doesnt feel left out.;)

What would you like to see Bobb??

Maybe a V8 only bracket class?? V8 only heads up index racing??
Maybe a classic bracket race for any 1974 and prior buick.. Non-efi race??
How about a heads up N/A class?? (Naturally Aspirated) ??

Thoughts??

I wouldnt mind having the sy/ty group there as well...