Big Question, Need Input! 1/8th Mile Track!

Would you consider running at an 1/8th mile track?

• Yes!

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • No!

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Not sure!

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
This sounds great! Guys Clint will be the driving force behind this, he is a great person and member of this community. Sure is looking like we are going to try to make this happen:biggrin:

Well ill throw in my 2 cents!! It would be great to see you guys pull off a 1/8 mile race , even if its just for the fast class or classes. There arent too many people that drive the quick cars that wouldnt TOTALLY welcome that. 140 to 150mph at the 1/8 is plenty fast for most of us. Seems the second half of the track switches from fun to terrifing!!! Its great to see a ticket with a fast ET and speed on it, but the ride past the 1/8 and especelly the shut down area is NO FUN AT ALL!! Call me a Wussy but I think I speak for many , if not most!! Maybe this will finally catch on for the rest of the events.
Mike:cool:

Well ill throw in my 2 cents!! It would be great to see you guys pull off a 1/8 mile race , even if its just for the fast class or classes. There arent too many people that drive the quick cars that wouldnt TOTALLY welcome that. 140 to 150mph at the 1/8 is plenty fast for most of us. Seems the second half of the track switches from fun to terrifing!!! Its great to see a ticket with a fast ET and speed on it, but the ride past the 1/8 and especelly the shut down area is NO FUN AT ALL!! Call me a Wussy but I think I speak for many , if not most!! Maybe this will finally catch on for the rest of the events.
Mike:cool:

You are exactly right Mike, I've heard over the years people would like to have an event similar to the Nats to race at also. I think this is the start of something good and it is far enough away from the Nats (6 weeks early) not to interfere with anything unless I am wrong then someone needs to chime in and let me know. We are expecting a really good time and a huge turnout. There is also NO CHARGE for camping in the track, they have a dump station if anyone needs to use it. The track is excited to have us as they have had nothing like this before. Gotta start somewhere huh..;) I PROMISE that you will have a blast as I have a few tricks up my sleeve to make for an exciting time. All depends on YOU the racers... If you will support it than TB.com/BWR will make it happen. Keep chiming in guys....

1/8 Mile Racing

Clint, I know that if you are involved the race will be a 1st class event. Count me in - we need to spread the word to those not tuned-in.

Clint, I know that if you are involved the race will be a 1st class event. Count me in - we need to spread the word to those not tuned-in.

We will Bob, we just have to cross all the T's and we will be good to go. As stated we are almost ready to pull the trigger just have to check on a few dates to verify not to be on top of the IHRA Division race that Farmington has every year in March.

Hey Johnny,
I was reading your post on running 1/8mile. Good idea.. I would like to recommend something. You as well as I know there are MANY ppl who own v6's that are not on kill mode and run on simple 'free' mods. Knowing that I would like to suggest an 8.00s or 8.50s class. You breakout you lose.. With simple mods and a little tuning I think many will/can participate (Pat, myself, Richard W, Sam, Eric, Bill Farlow, Randy, Alonzo, Turk, etc..) AND drive it home without worry of breaking. Make it a $5-$10 entrée so nobody goes broke but yet has something to compete for (1st takes $75, 2nd - $25 or simple trophies for 1st and 2nd and 3rd). Better yet make some rules like footbrake only, street tires, street legal, but keep it simple (no restrictions to stock appearing or aftermarket EFI). Maybe Richard Clark will run his daily driver!! Just an idea.

Johnny..

Michael Banas
Global Automotive Division
Product Engineer

I voted no for the 1/8 mile. Here is something you have to consider going 1/8mi:

If the fast guys are going to come, they'll want to break records. All the current records are in the 1/4mi. It'll be pretty hard to convert the 1/8mi to 1/4mi.

Also, alot of the TSM guys keep their 1/8 mi runs a secret.

You'll have to be careful holding this event sometime in March. Up north we still have snow on the ground or snow in the forecast.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

another option would be to combine it with another event....I have suggested this in the past to combine it with the BPG event...it would be no expense to the Turbobuick.com owners and we already have the personnel to run the event...of coarse we would respect the opinions of the racers and the show car guys/gals and make it a great event for both V6's and V8's....just my 3 cents

I'm not too keen on 1/8th mile racing. However, I would have won the TSM class in Norwalk if it was an 1/8th mile racing:)

The thing about it guys is that we wanted to have another venue for the buick community. There is ALOT about this event for the time being that is being worked out. All I ask is to please dont discount it until you give it a try. You never know what may come of something and you have to take a few chances. Shane is going out of his way to make something happen and there is more to this event than meets the eye, trust me!! Fact is we WILL be running this event in March and we will have payout for the race classes that most of you currently run. Now, the only difference is 660 feet of track. Thats it!! Just because it is not something that most of you are used to doesnt mean that it wont be a great time had by one and all. We are having giveaways and drawings along with a bracket class that most NONE of you have heard of or seen. Im not doing this for me, Shane is not doing it for himself either. I think it is strange early on to see people in the Buick community seemingly not willing to support a buick event:confused:

I would ask for those that voted no to please give a valid reason why you would choose not to support an 1/8th event. If the sole reason not to support it is cause of the 1/8th mile then you will have to convince me and the current other 34 people that have voted for it why to not support it. Dont knock it until you try it.

I voted no for the 1/8 mile. Here is something you have to consider going 1/8mi:

If the fast guys are going to come, they'll want to break records. All the current records are in the 1/4mi. It'll be pretty hard to convert the 1/8mi to 1/4mi.

You'll have to be careful holding this event sometime in March. Up north we still have snow on the ground or snow in the forecast.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I totally understand that however alot of the real fast cars have stated that they would prefer the 1/8th mile as it was stated that it was also discussed at BG this yr. The reason for the March date is to stay 2 months out from BG and then for it not to be hot and humid as well as interfere with Norwalk, BPG, Reynolds, and other Buick events around the country that have been racing for a long time. Virtually noone does nothing for the first 4.5 months and up north I can see why. You guys MIGHT have 6 months of good racing weather. Thanks Billy for the feedback, anyone else??

its not that we are not supporting a Buick Event..but the fact is that attendance has been down on all the events....so to add another to the mix makes people decide between multiple events...and the way the economy is makes people think harder

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Billy, Facts are that many, many tracks are switching to 1/8 mile simply from insurance pressure. How about your sig saying 1/8 & 1/4 mile record holder??
You cant tell me that at 175 mph the shutdown area is anything you look forward to!! Norwalk is one of the finest tracks that you will ever run on and has a very nice shutdown area. Wait till you get to Columbus!! I think maybe you might start seeing my point. Mike:cool:

Opinion

As a former Super Stock racer I held numerous eithth mile and quarter mile records and both were recognized by the sanctioning bodies. It was fun and enabled me to hold many more records at once. I'm all for it, and as Clint says, "try it, you just might like it".

PS ii's gonna happen anyway!

bob aka stgman

Not to knock anyone, but I'll bet that most if not all of the guys who have voted NO aren't running anywhere near 175 at the end of the 1/4.

I run as much or more 1/8th mile than 1/4 mile anyway. There are a whole lot more 1/8th mile tracks than 1/4 miles when you look around.

We'll be there! :biggrin: :biggrin: