Big Block is alive

Didn't know you where done caught me by surprise!!! :eek: Looking good as always, wish you the best of luck. Thanks for the start up tune will be in contact soon I hope for some tuning sessions!!! :biggrin:

Looks great Dusty, good luck with the new combo!:cool:

Made it back to the track this weekend but I got some valvetrain issues. So far the car hasn't made it out of the burnout box twice.

The bolts that hold down the exhaust rocker stands are backing themselves out. So far, #1 exhaust did this a couple weeks ago, then #3 exhaust did it this weekend. I know the spring pressure isn't making things easy on the shaft system. This week I'll be double checking a few clearances, the retainer to guide, piston to valve and distance from coild bind to make sure all that is still good. The plan is to weld the exhaust stand to the main stand so it becomes a 1 piece stand like all my Jesel systems have been. This T&D system has 4 exhaust stands that bolt to the main stand. Making it a 1 piece should help with stability and I've been told the bolts that hold the rocker stand to the head should be installed with the blue loc-tite.

Dusty, Thanks for posting your issues. I sometimes believe that most people in this forum think that if they just switch to a SBC or BBC that will end all there troubles!! I would say in most cases it just causes more and different types of problems , but still problems. Fact is if you want to go fast , you better be ready to take on whatever problems it throws at you and move onto the next one. I know you will conquer that beast , just may take a bit of time and lots of effort!!! Good luck Mike:cool:

Dusty, Thanks for posting your issues. I sometimes believe that most people in this forum think that if they just switch to a SBC or BBC that will end all there troubles!! I would say in most cases it just causes more and different types of problems , but still problems. Fact is if you want to go fast , you better be ready to take on whatever problems it throws at you and move onto the next one. I know you will conquer that beast , just may take a bit of time and lots of effort!!! Good luck Mike:cool:

You are right Mike. Anytime you push something to go faster, there will be issues. If it was just as easy as buying a part, putting it on and going faster, everyone would be fast;) There are issues and bugs to work out of just about everything. I have never had this problem before and I paid more attention to the valvetrain on this engine than anything before this. T&D is the only company that had the correct valve spacing system for my heads. I've ran Jesel on everything else. This is the 2nd issue I've had with the rocker system on this engine. I'll figure it out but I'm going to have to modify a few things to get it to work for me.

Hello Dusty its been along time give me some updates it looks bad ass.
Take care buddy........

Hopefully the valvetrain issue is fixed. I found the exhaust rocker stands were .250 too tall. Everything was supposed to be set-up by a "pro" when I bought the heads and rocker system. It got missed.

So far I've made 8 passes and it seems like the issue is gone. I'm still running the 94mm for my class but I'm not sure it's going to work out on the big block. The turbo can't keep up over 7000 rpm so I'll be short shifting the engine. It has been 5.19 at 144.2 on 16psi. Early testing showed the 94 will make 21psi. I'm still working on getting the big block down the track and making this 94 work for me. I want it to run 150 with the 94mm.

Well, buddy once it does with that time you and chad is going to be bumping heads in ez street, LOL!!! 4.96 with the sbc and now should be even faster with the bbc. You should be at Montgomery already by now for the OSCRA race, hope to be there on Sunday!!!!!!!

Dusty,

How about an update from this weekend?
I saw that you drew Chad Henderson in the second round.
That is tough when you are working on a new combination.

Dusty,

How about an update from this weekend?
I saw that you drew Chad Henderson in the second round.
That is tough when you are working on a new combination.

Hopefully some vids will surface. I asked another racer's crew to take some vids if he had time.

Track was tricky. MMP isn't known to be a good track for stock suspension radial cars. The races there are usually planned for early or later in the year because Montgomery is so hot and humid....well a warm front moved through this weekend so temps were 96+ with a track temp over 140 in the afternoon. Not good for radial cars.

I had issues getting a tune up in the car that could cross the dip in the track which is about 250 feet out. Finally on the 4th pass I found it and we went to #4 qualifier out of 12 cars with a 5.22. Knowing the track would go away in the afternoon heat I left it alone to see if it could repeat. It went 5.25 1st round. I drew my good friend Henderson 2nd round. He popped on the line so I never saw him and I went 5.24 at 145........but I also went -.005 on the tree handing him the win. I was sick. In the heat I had everyone covered by 2 tenths. Henderson marched on through the next 2 rounds for the win.

The big motor is touchy with the 94mm. As it turns out the boost curve it needs to get down the track puts the peak of boost right at the gear change. The big motor consumes everything the turbo can make so at the gear change the boost jumps 4psi....making it hard to control especially on a greasy track. I used some timing ramps at the gear change to get it down the track. The 94mm is definately better suited for a 400ci motor but I think over time this will still be competitive.

Thanks Dusty, I always love your reports.
Do you think you will make any races this year
with less restrictive turbo rules?
I would love to see you run a 114 or large.

Can you run the Pro Mod Turbine Wheel?

I ran 145mph with 16psi. I have more boost left (I know 2psi at least)but the track could barely take what I was throwing at it. Since I was .2 faster than everyone else in the heat of the day I didn't want to chance spinning the tires over the dip at half track and possibly blowing the race. Just playing with the a/f ratio has presented some gains that have yet to be used either. I think this 94 will run right at 150 like it did on the small block.

Precision has a new HP 94 that should make 100+hp more than the 94 I have now....but it's not cheap. They still call the turbine wheel a g-trim on the HP series. The pro-mod is the mid frame stuff. Without knowing for sure if any rule changes are coming I'm not dropping the $$$ for a turbo for 2 more races. I'll wait it out to see how it goes.

I have the 114mm also. It's going on the car this week so I can start testing for outlaw radial. Hopefully I'll have some good info after this weekend.

It was great seeing and talking to you Dusty and the crew. And guys the motor pics doesn't do it no justice its awesome in person damn near looks bigger then Chad's motor. You was on point like a damn bracket car but that red light demon got you. Cause Chad was the only car in your way to the win and paycheck. But if it was anyone it should of been a buddie atleast to hand it over too. I forgot to holla at Chad before they left out but see if he got a wore out set of the those 295/55 want to see if they cleared better then the 325/50 I had on my mustang during mock up. Well I'll see you in Valdosta, and bring the the shine also just couldn't handle a drink of it in the heat in MMP, LOL!!! Also we have three slots at SGMP by the staging area on the main gate so close you could drive to staging but my have a slot come open if you need one.

Precision has a new HP 94 that should make 100+hp more than the 94 I have now....but it's not cheap. They still call the turbine wheel a g-trim on the HP series. The pro-mod is the mid frame stuff. Without knowing for sure if any rule changes are coming I'm not dropping the $$$ for a turbo for 2 more races. I'll wait it out to see how it goes.

I have the 114mm also. It's going on the car this week so I can start testing for outlaw radial. Hopefully I'll have some good info after this weekend.

Dusty,

I am excited to hear how she does with the 114.

Here is the turbo information from the Precision Turbo 2010 Product Catalog that I was going off.

1620HP

Number
PTB 700-5050
Model Number
PT94

Compressor Wheel
3.700" Ind/5.560" Exd
Turbine Wheel
F or G trim turbine wheel
Compressor Cover

1825HP
Part Number
PTB 700-9402
Model Number
Pro Mod 94

Compressor Wheel
3.700" Ind/4.975" Exd
Turbine Wheel
HP112 TW 4.391" Ind/4.02" Exd

It looks like you could pick up some.
However considering how much you have left and the uncertainty about next
years rules, I would not spend another dime on a new turbo.

It was great seeing and talking to you Dusty and the crew. And guys the motor pics doesn't do it no justice its awesome in person damn near looks bigger then Chad's motor. You was on point like a damn bracket car but that red light demon got you. Cause Chad was the only car in your way to the win and paycheck. But if it was anyone it should of been a buddie atleast to hand it over too. I forgot to holla at Chad before they left out but see if he got a wore out set of the those 295/55 want to see if they cleared better then the 325/50 I had on my mustang during mock up. Well I'll see you in Valdosta, and bring the the shine also just couldn't handle a drink of it in the heat in MMP, LOL!!! Also we have three slots at SGMP by the staging area on the main gate so close you could drive to staging but my have a slot come open if you need one.

Stop by anytime.

Mine does look bigger because it still has all the fenderwells around the engine. When I had them out it looked like a small block......I put them back in because I like the street car look.

Chad will have some tires soon I'm sure. He sold his other take-offs.