BFG drag radial users please read...

OneLethal87GN

R.I.P. Lethal GN
I'm getting some new tires for my car and was wondering how well the BFG G-Force drag radials held up under every day driving? My car is my every day driver and not just a weekend cruiser or strip bruiser. My car has a shift kit and I was wondering how the tires hold up to being chirped quite often? Any of you who run, or used to run, these tires please chime in with opinions and pros and cons of running these on a daily driver. If they're not capable of holding up for at least a year or so then I'll probably go the radial route. I just wanted these because they are wider than regular BFG tires. Thanks in advance.

BTW- I'm considering the first generation tread pattern, not the newer snakeskin looking design.

BFGs are a very soft tire. They will last only about 5000 miles. I use them all the time they hook very well but dont have much tread even when new. Wet pavement is not a problem but they hydroplane easily if theres standing water.

Mine lasted 1 1/2 years. I don't drive it everyday. I honestly don't know how many miles I got out of them. They do hook well.

1.60 ft on bone stock suspension. 4 lb launch on 255/50's.

I got my car in July and I got it with them on back and they were at the wear mark and after some burning rubber and about 3000 miles later. They have tread left but yet I need to get some new tires too. I use mine for DD also.

One time when I could have lost it was it was a heavy sprinkle and i was on a highway with a girl going back to her house and i floored it at about 55 mph and it downshifted to 2nd and after it boosted to bout 15-18 psi it took us sideways and i let off. I should have known better but I really didnt think it was gonna kick us sideways (DOH) I felt like an idiot since I could have wrecked and hurt both of us along with the car.

I have mine set at i belive 18 psi or 25 psi and they've been holding up pretty well.

-Adam

I ran them on my 85 monte carlo and I would not recommend them for a daily driver at all. I put them on the car a drove it almost everyday, I put quite a beating on them and they had to be replaced fairly quickly...I would not go back to them.. however they did hook well.

If you want a good hooking tire you shouldnt be concerned at all about tread life. Ive seen repeated 1.55-1.60 60's with them at the strip and they work really well on the street. I would not want to get caught with my pants down on a pair of crappy tires and lose a race i should have won. Dont expect much after 5k miles from them if your easy on them. Less if you do frequent burnouts.

Nittos

If I had a Mild combo (13.00-14.00 ET) on a DD I'd do the Nitto DRs.

I ran them on another car I had. They were toast in 4,000 miles.

I would maybe go with a good street tire, and then work up to getting another set of wheels with ET streets or something on them.

I think I've gone through 4 sets of BFG's and you sound like the perfect candidate for Nitto 275/60's Drag Radials.

They will wear twice as long as BFG's on the street and hook better than ANY regular street radial. The 60's are a better choice than the 50's for a few reasons (they rub less, hook a little better when its slippery, are faster in the 1/4 with a stock motor and they fit better on the stock rims).

Thanks for all the replies. The only reason I was thinking BFG drag radials was that I wanted tires to match the front. I'll have 225/50/15 BFG G-Force T/A tires on the front. Since they don't make those in a 275/50 I had to go the G-Force Drag Radial route to have a matching pair. They make a 275/50 in a regular radial by BFG but they have different tread designs and wouldn't be a matching tire. I wasn't concerned about a good hooking tire since I don't race the car. I was more concerned about matching than hooking I guess. Thanks again for the responses and keep them coming.

Bunko

MY nitto 555's have 14k on them with much abuse on mt daily driver lightning :) However , they are ready for replacement. :D My BFG's on the T are holding up just fine..........