Better than the Scanmaster?

I am always nervous of things like this. The quality in things like this (little black box) is usually very poor. The scanmaster was designed by a Buick guy for Buicks. Oh and I am too old for more apps;)

There is no comparison between the 2 units.

The Scanmaster was designed a tool to provide useable data for the turbo Buick, you can read codes with a paper clip.

I have a bluetooth plug in for OBDII that works with the android app Torque. It does several things besides view the engine parameters. Don't know what that app in the ad will do but one thing this will do that the scanmaster can't is save the data as a file on your phone, tab or pc.

Last edited:
Nick it is not a code reader it is an adapter that sends the data stream to an app on an android based tablet or phone. I have one for OBDII vehicles and works great. I was just wondering if anyone has used one of these on our cars.

Buy it and run both. If it holds up and provides more useable data then the scanmaster sell the scanmaster here for $200 and make your money back and then some. And you can give members real world results.

1. Better than a Scanmaster? NO, Different? Yes. Remember it all plugs into the same 160baud data stream so it isn't going to provide any faster data or any more data for that matter. As a matter of fact, with the newer fast update software modifications available in the Extender chips, the Scanmaster will actually be a better unit.
  2. Comparing OBDII and Torque and expecting anything even close is a dream at best and a myth at worse.

This is what 160 baud will look like on the ALDLDroid, using a $42 .adx(7747 ECM), but still a C3 ECM and 160 baud. $42 has a better definition, so there are more features in the .adx.

Isn't he data stream is the same speed that the Scanmaster receives (without the Powerlogger update)? Plenty of people have used only a Scanmaster to tune into the 10s. I'ld like to play with the software. It may include deleting codes. The file saving feature would probably be the most useful.

Last edited:
It is the same speed as the Scanmaster-160 baud which as I recall is 1.2 frames per second. Many are just missing the point here. This can do everything a Scanmaster can and display multiple parameters at once on a high deff screen. It can also captured data for play back. You can wire in the adapter and hide it undet the dash. No need to have an ugly bud box with an antiquated LED display that looks like crap no matter where you mount it hanging around. Just start the app on your phone or tablet when you want to use it. Add also that it is less than half the price of a Scanmaster AND WORKS FOR ALL GM OBDI CARS-not just 86-87s!

For the record I never said this would be the same as OBDII and the Torque app. I was saying I have a scan tool that use wireless Bluetooth technology and it works great.

I'm curious to hear the feedback on this. For the price it's deff worth a try, I'm sure we have all spent far more on less.

Isn't he data stream is the same speed that the Scanmaster receives (without the Powerlogger update)? Plenty of people have used only a Scanmaster to tune into the 10s. I'ld like to play with the software. It may include deleting codes. The file saving feature would probably be the most useful.

Well, sort of. He states he has the same 160 baud that our ECM's have but his update rate seemed to be once every second, while ours is once every 1.5 seconds. I've used several different scan tools over the past 27 years and they are all the same, one update every 1.5 seconds.
But remeber, even without the Powerlogger, if one is running a chip with the fast update patch, the update rate is MUCH faster into the Scanmaster.

I don't see where this device is going to be advantageous to many. There's a lot of file manipulation that a lot of guys just aren't going to want to mess with, especially mucking around in the file system of their droid device. That assumes they will even find the correct adx file for our ECM and understand the need for such a file.

All kinds of pitfalls here!

The vendor sent me the correct Adx file for free. There is no "mucking around" in the file system. You down load a file and copy it to a folder. If someone can't even do that they have no business even owning a scan tool In the first place.

Might be cool to play around with but the scanmaster is always there and ready to go.
The ability to recall knock and o2 millivolts at any time is hard to beat.

I just wish it could be redesigned to fit in a round gauge so it could be mounted in the pillar or under the ashtray. I really hate the way it sticks out like a sore thumb, I'm working on mounting mines in the dash hopefully it works out. Anyway I would love to see a more modern version of it or something similar.

When I first got into TBs there was Direct Scan and Turbo Link for scanning tools. Both seem ancient now.