Best way to get these cars to hook?

63novass

I launched on the street with just some street tires and I don't even think I was spooled up and I blew the tires off the car. I want this car to be a driver but I want to be able to hook as well. Maybe some drag radials but what else do you recommend?

For the street...drag radials. Maybe some cheapie 70/30's up front and 50/50's out back.

Drag shocks? And is a 275 the biggest you can go in the rear before running into problems?

I've run MT DR 275/50/15's on the stock GN rim with no rubbing issues.

1.6 with Bilstiens on it. Just swapped out to Lakewood drag shocks. Should see 1.5's.

90/10 front shocks up front
255/60/15 Mickey Thompson Drag Radials
Cheap Bolt on Anti Roll bar
Polyurethane bushings in the rear arms and adjustable arms for the rear uppers.

255/60 15 on welds i have boxed upper and lower control arms and it had kyb shocks and a rear anti roll bar with no front bar and it hooks like a mofo.........

trans brak launches 1.44 foot brake launches 1.52 60ft

The car hooks really good in the street!

Why 255 when you can run 275?

cause i don't want to worry about hitting the sidewall of the tire with the fender lip and trim,

I tried the 275's on my 8 inch wheels and they hit on one side when the car launched hard and set down in the rear. When it did that i still only got a 1.45 60ft so they really don't help me so i'll stick with the 255's

been 6.45 in the 1/8 and 10.19 in the 1/4 on them.

255/60 15 on welds i have boxed upper and lower control arms and it had kyb shocks and a rear anti roll bar with no front bar and it hooks like a mofo.........

trans brak launches 1.44 foot brake launches 1.52 60ft

The car hooks really good in the street!

What type of drag radials are you running and which anti-roll bar? Thanks

I run MT295s and get no rub when launching.
I only get a little rub on the passenger side when taking a hard left turn at speed if I hit a bump or dip in the road.
The only problem is they still don't hook off the line if I leave with anything more than 3lbs. of boost, and will break loose hitting second gear, [when running the alky].
This is all running on the street.

What type of drag radials are you running and which anti-roll bar? Thanks

The drag radials are mickey thompsons. The anti roll bar is a H R parts n stuff unit . That bar works great and keeps the front end twist down a bunch.

I too run the skinny 255 MT's and have hooked 1.57 60' off the footbrake with them. I'll run a bigger tire when I need more top end, but the hook is good even with the 255's. Nothing will hook on the street like a well prepped track though so maybe the 275's or bigger are better in the street arena.

Putting a 275/60 on a mid 12 or low 13 second car gives it that " hooking" feel because they lack the power to break traction off the line. It makes them feel like they have a 3.23 or so rear gear. I would stick to the 255/60. No bigger.

................ I want this car to be a driver but I want to be able to hook as well. Maybe some drag radials but what else do you recommend?

Setting up suspension is much like your engine performance, it is all about "tuning", the right combination of parts, and the important item which is your budget, and of course your goal of how the car will be used. :)

There is no "magic" item, but many of them working together will give you the desired results.

Again, like engine performance, the list of items is long. Sure tires, springs and shocks are always at the top, but items like torque converter and frame mods are not initially considered in this mix of parts, as there also other parts that contribute to handling and traction like brakes.

Since many of us have been "messing around" with these turbo cars for 25 years, there is someone that has accomplished what performance level you want to achieve, so when you define that properly, find that person to follow his path which will save you much time and $$$! :D

There is no "magic" item, but many of them working together will give you the desired results.

I guess you haven't tried my Fairy Dust in a Bottle for traction and for those SERIOUS cars Unicorn Glitter in a Bottle.. Soo much traction that the tires won't even turn to get out of the water box..
:)
ks