Best way to change trans fluid w/o major mess?

Steves87

I have a tranny kit to swap out the gasket, filter and changing fluid to Type f. I also bought a drain plug install kit for "next" time around. But how do you minimize the mess when dropping the tranny pan? The pan is rather large and I figure it is going to make one hell of a mess.

loosten 1/2 of the bolts .. The fluid will drip (sometimes fast, sometimes slow from the side that you removed the bolts from.. Drain it this way.. Remove the rest of the bolts after it completely drains.. Make sure that you use thread sealant with the drain plug. They have a tendency to leak if you don't

Some parts stores should have a "pan funnel"

It's like an adapter that fits on top of the trans drain pan, (actually made for stand up drains for use with lifts) to catch drips from a much larger area. Don't use thread sealer on your trans pan drain plug, it isn't (or shouldn't be) pipe thread. Ask for a 1/2" captive o-ring drain plug gasket. As the name implies, it has an o-ring molded into the middle of a steel washer. One of the best ideas ever for preventing leaks. :cool:

I bought some plastic tubing from homedepo. It is small enough that I can stick it down into the tranny dipsticktube. I then took the other end and put it in an empty glass bottle. (Jose Quervo). I took my shopvac and ducttaped the end of the hose to the mouth of the bottle and got it as air tight as I possible could. I turned the vaccume on and went inside and ate lunch. After lunch I came out and checked and I almost had a bottle full, so then I poured it out and redid the setup. While it was sucking that time I did someother things on the car that needed done.

After 2 bottle fulls I droped the pan. There was almost no fluid in the pan. I didn't get any in my hair, and I didn't even get any on the paper I put on the ground.

I also replaced my tcc selonid becasue mine was broken.

This made the whole job about 3 hours longer, but I had other things to do while I was waiting.
If I was in a hurry I would have just droped it, but I wasn't and I had came up with this idea and I wanted to see how it would work out.

Scott

I took a large box and cut it down to where it is about 6 inches tall, making it about 24"x18"x6" then put a few trash bags in the box pulling them over the box sides (kind of like a square trash can thats 6" tall) then loosen the bolts as described above to drain the pan. Catches it pretty good without making a big mess on the driveway.

When installing the drain plug, make sure you find a spot that has plenty of clearance, be sure to put the car in all gears and climb uner and see where the lever is so you don't obstruct it, or the filter.
Every car I have, the drain plug ended up in a different place everytime.

You already bought the drain plug kit right? Well just drill a small hole in the pan to let the fluid out. Then after its all drained, pull the pan and enlarge the hole to fit your plug kit........

AhhhhhhhhhhhC'mon.....

i'm lucky because most military bases have a large garage with several lifts. so like rickracer said, i use the lift and a stand up catch can with a large flat drip pan. very clean and easy. lucky me i guess.

look at it this way. atleast you don't have to go through the hastle that i do when i change the fluid on my 87 gmc conversion van. i have to, undo the tranny from the cross member, take the damn tranny crossmember completely out, and remove the t-convertor cover! then go through everything else.

the GN takes about 15 minutes and the van takes 2 hours.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
I took a large box and cut it down to where it is about 6 inches tall, making it about 24"x18"x6" then put a few trash bags in the box pulling them over the box sides (kind of like a square trash can thats 6" tall) then loosen the bolts as described above to drain the pan. Catches it pretty good without making a big mess on the driveway.

When installing the drain plug, make sure you find a spot that has plenty of clearance, be sure to put the car in all gears and climb uner and see where the lever is so you don't obstruct it, or the filter.
Every car I have, the drain plug ended up in a different place everytime.

I thought of doing that, but my concern is someone stated you have to watch where you put the drain plug to allow movement and to not restrict lingage when shifting. I won't know where to drill until the pan is dropped.
Secondly, what about getting metal shavings in the pan if I drill up through as opposed to down and out?

Remove a trans cooler line , slip a hose on it, and put the other end in a antifreeze jug to catch it. At Idle the fluid will be pumped out in about 30 seconds. Then make sure to let jug turn over and spill out.

I like the trans cooler line idea, keep it simple. Does that also purge fluid from the T/C?
Thats a good question...i think the answer is some, but not all fluid. The trans pump pulls from the pan and charges the convertor with fluid so id think once the pan empties there would only be cavitation in the pump thereby not allowing the TC to be purged. Be cautios not to let the motor idle too long as pump needs fluid to be lubed. Also , again as i posted, make sure to trip over the full jug thereby spilling ever gd drop of fluid. BTW, it will fill the jug.

theres got to some fluid trapped in the valve body anyway. I actually just changed my fluid in the pan today with a drill attached pump kit I bought. I changed filter a year agoe and am going to give till next trans fluid change and do that then. I didnt spill any trans fluid in the process so I just poured some new ATF on the ground to simulate a messy effort.

Yes, a trans will drip like crazy for days. How about this...I knew a trans builder who was allergic to trans fluid. lol. Use Lubeguard and put in a small cooler in series with the radiator cooler and change fluid every 10 years only . I wish we could use Dexron 6 but its supposedly known to harden seals in older trans'.

Poured new atf on ground!! lmaoff!

Last edited:
I installed a new Aluminum radiator last yearand ran an external front mount ATF cooler about a year ago, at the same time changed ATF in the pan only. refilled with dex 3 and lubeguard also and now smelling burnt from moderate driving so next time might go with the full flush and rolll the dice. with 129k its, very possible this is the original trans.

I wish we could use Dexron 6 but its supposedly known to harden seals in older trans'.

I have Dexron VI in ever one of my auto trans. It'd just be nice if Wal*Mart would keep more than 4 qts on the shelf at a time.

I wish we could use Dexron 6 but its supposedly known to harden seals in older trans'.

Lol where does this stuff come from

Being a simple person and tired of trans fluid "showers", my solution is to drill a hole in the pan with a 5 gallon bucket under it to catch the fluid!

Either weld up the hole, or install a bung, or best of all use an alum pan.

You guys need one of those mityvac dipstick tube suction fluid evacuators. Makes all kinds of jobs way less messy.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk