New to the GN with a few questions

BlackonBlack

Hey fellas, just bought a very nice and all original GN with only 20k miles. It's in great shape, but nothing has been done to this car in 30 years besides oil changes. After my due diligence on this board and others, I'm ready to dive in with my spring cleaning (this fall).

I'm happy with the stock performance and will eventually be getting a scanmaster and tt chip, but for now, I just want to get things ship-shape.

A few questions:

1.I have a rusty gas tank and will be replacing it along with a Walbro 340 fuel pump and Hotwire kit. Is this overkill if I plan to keep it largely stock? Do I need to do anything with fuel lines for increased volume? Can I keep the stock fuel regulator?

2.I'm changing most fluids and filters. After reading on here I was planning to swap out the oil pan gasket with a cork one. Is this necessary and why cork? Is this accessible (it'll be on a lift) without doing anything else to the engine?

3.Transmission fluid change and new tranny gasket and filter. Do I need to do this at 20k? Street driver only, but the fluid is 30 years old.

I'm also swapping out a rusted exhaust with the GN1 package this week. Beyond stoked for that.

Let me know what you think, and thank you for any advice!

Congratulations on your GN, sounds nice.
Post some pictures of the engine compartment, etc. There are some extremely knowledgeable folks on this board they may help spot something out of sorts.
To answer your questions :
1) fuel pump and Hotwire is a good move period. You'll want an adjustable fuel regulator at some point. Stock lines are fine.
2) unless your sure the oil pan gasket is leaking, don't mess with it. Cork is a popular option.
3) transmission fluid and filter change absolutely do this. Stock tranny isn't very stout and prone to fail once you start increasing HP. Change the rear end fluid too.
There is a lot to absorb with these cars, do your research. But if anything just enjoy it, they are fun when there running right..

ditto what scgnx said.

I have 3 TR's and 2 are low mileage and bone stock. The third has the same pump and hotwire kit you mentioned and i highly recommend it. My plans are to mod the third slightly more to break into the 12's.....which is fast enough for me.

Be sure to use Dextron 6 for trans fluid.

And don't forget the posi additive.

Is it a posi rear end? G80 code on trunk label.

D