Best turbo for this set up

Double-L

I have asked this before without to much help so here goes, I got my 87 Grand National some years back, It looked better than a new one, I parked my new black Jeep Grand Cherokee beside it and the GN with the original paint just blew it away, Very few people has set in the right seat and my wife is the only one I know that has set in the back seat, Still has the plastic on the dash, Still has some of the stock parts and blows cold ac and rides like a Caddy and get good gas mileage, It had 6,000 miles on it, It was a toy from day one, In a heated garage in the winter and ac in the summer, I guess that is why the paint is 10, The guy wanted a car to race with his friends and when the car got to fast he had a roll bar installed, He was one of them guys where everything had to be perfect, He even put the car back in the trailer between rounds, What I want is a car that runs as good or better but boost a lot faster, I drive with a hand control so I need a fast boosting car, Now the cars mods--

JE with total seal filed rings
Champion GT1 aluminum heads
1.65 shaft mount rockers
Comp part # 69-400-8 Cam
Girdle
Egale Crank
Eagle H-Rods
Hemco plenum
Accufab 70mm throttle body
Big front mount Intercooler
83lb injectors
Meth Injection
Walbro twin pumps, Best you can get
200 4r with the best parts you can out in it
PI 5 disk convertor,lockup at 126 mph
3.42 gear
LT1 mass air meter with translator
4" cold air intake
Turbonetics 66 BB turbo
TA performance headers
ATR 3" down pipe
Turbonetics delta gate mark II 6psi
Turbonetics boost controller

Oh it runs 10.40 at 130 and the 60 ft isnj't that good a mid 1.50 and trouble hooking up, I run 20-22 pounds of boost

I've got a 6766 turbo with a pro mod style stainless ex housing that uses a v band clamp.. It will support 900hp worth of air. You would need to alter your passenger header and dp to get it to work but it will support way more than your current turbo.

I am looking for more air but it has to spool faster than the 66 BB and not hurt the street driving, I know I need a better wastegate and boost controller

Which 66 do you have? There are a few

To get better spoolup with what you have now, you could add a few pounds of increased spring pressure on the external wastegate. Too much spring and you might get more compressor surge on the street in part throttle driving in a 10 sec car. I run a 15# spring and then bleed that reference line from the turbo to the wastegate and leave the wastegate top half vented to the atmosphere.

TurboTnZ06 said:
To get better spoolup with what you have now, you could add a few pounds of increased spring pressure on the external wastegate. Too much spring and you might get more compressor surge on the street in part throttle driving in a 10 sec car. I run a 15# spring and then bleed that reference line from the turbo to the wastegate and leave the wastegate top half vented to the atmosphere.

This would work well but he's making enough power where the backpressure will overcome the wastegate spring and cause the boost to drop out the back end.

A Turbonetics 66 BB from Cotton I am pretty sure it is a CPT, He said it was his favorite turbo but that was about 3 years ago, I run pump gas and alky, A couple friends that race it some time don't have any trouble spooling it but said you have to heat the rear breaks up and really stand on the breaks and bring it to about 5 pounds any more just blows the slicks off

Double-L said:
A Turbonetics 66 BB from Cotton I am pretty sure it is a CPT, He said it was his favorite turbo but that was about 3 years ago, I run pump gas and alky, A couple friends that race it some time don't have any trouble spooling it but said you have to heat the rear breaks up and really stand on the breaks and bring it to about 5 pounds any more just blows the slicks off

Turbonetics has more than a few 66 turbos out there. The ones with the larger cover will support more power. 6680, 6676 clipped, 6665, 6662, 6676 no clip, small diffuser, large diffuser, etc. The 6680 with the large diffuser will support the most power but won't show much till the car is trapping over 134mph

It was the only 66 BB that Cotton sold 3 years ago and I don't care how many or how much power, Like I said I am looking for a little more air and faster spooling

Double-L said:
It was the only 66 BB that Cotton sold 3 years ago and I don't care how many or how much power, Like I said I am looking for a little more air and faster spooling

You will need a ball bearing cartridge with a 64,67,68,70, etc. Your probably not at the "air" limit of your current setup. So you will need more boost and or more rpm.

Well if we can get it to hook up we will turn the boost up but even at 20-22 it should run about 10.20's, It has pulled a 30 out on a good track spinning the tires, So I think I am about at the limit of the 66 if I turn the boost up but I don't really care about the time, I am sure the car will run high 9's but what I want is the fastest spooling turbo I can get and keep the power or a little more than I have, So maybe they don't make what I am looking for yet