Best place to buy weather stripping?

For a perfect fit buy the OEM GM. Kirban has them. It is NOT cheap.

For a less perfect fit you can buy the cheap softseal stuff. The fit is good but not near the quailty of OEM.

Or buy some decent used stuff if the car isn't a show car.

kirban 2 cents worth

going thru a dealer may take alot of time because of the gm situation also yu ahve to tell what seals you need you got a hardtop T Top or what?

Plus keep in mind ging to GM you are probably going to pay list price which can vary from dealer to dealer plus they will require a deposit of some sort.

Several supporting vendors on this forum Myself icldued) Gbodyparts.com etc stock or have readily access to gm seals....

The only seal that we have found in the aftermarket that is actually superior to GM and cheaper is the door sill strips that are on a GN or blackout package or 1986 and back cars....we stock them...but you give no clues as to what car model Turbo you own.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Most aftermarket seals are too stiff which makes shutting the doors difficult and as you know or will shortly know removing your old weather strips and the residue is a lot of work.. one reason new GM is the best way to go.

I have the Sofseal stuff on my 1986 GN. Fit was ok, and it is soft and pliable. Still working on getting the windows to seal properly though, as I have a lot of wind roar at highway speeds. I couldn't justify spending the huge dollars on the official GM stuff, when the Sofseal package is less than 1/3 the price.

kirban 2 cents worth

here is a trick you might want to try on the wind noise. Pete Serio the original window rattle guy showed me this

in the front corners take a small setion of like windshield wiper hose thin diameter stuff and work it in behind your seal so it pushes the new seal outward more to contact the glass wherever you got a weak spot.... that way nothing will show

member if you got wind noise you got water leaks....

only trick I know to kill the problem...

good luck

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My car is an 86' T Type. I just got it home today and noticed it is getting water in the passenger side floor board from somewhere. Looks like it's ran down the door panel. I'll try to get some pics of it.

kirban 2 cents worth

You want to nail down the leak as soon as possible as the carpet and under carpet works as a sponge stays damp, eventually rusts the floor not to mention the mold smell lingers a good while.

First, check the doro sill weather strips this is the strip along the leading edge of the door on the outside....yu being in Georgia (Peach State)...heat is a killer on that rubber like strip....cracks seperations means water flows into the door by the glass....that is the one piece that the aftermarket is superior to the GM and also cheaper....we have that item.

Other weatherstrips GM is the bst way to go from any of the vendors on this forum etc...

Not sure who carries the door sill aftermarket ones that we do other than us.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Member water always runs downhill...

Thanks for the reply. It's left a mark where the water ran in over the door panel. It's up close to the hinge and the water marks flow right over the Concert Sound speaker on the door panel.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the wind noise, Dennis.

I don't worry too much about water leaks, as the only time the car sees water is when it gets washed. Only comes out on sunny/car show days.

I purchased the "how to adjust windows" book from you, and will follow that, see if I can cut down on the wind noise. I realize that, given the design of the G-bodies, I will never get it 100% quiet, but would like to get it so that my passenger and I can have a conversation on the highway, without having to shout!:biggrin: