Best Converter

guys can you tell me which to buy for a 200r4 for a street car with limited track time.also need the vendors name or web site.thank you:)

Hey Dusty i have been meaning to chime in on our stage 2 motor the ptc convertor had 5.6 percent slip and we managed to run 9.32 at reynolds with the tsm motor a year ago when you where there .I can tell you Ptc will get the job done and its a good buy . I even like the one behind my 4 banger mustang and it was a good deal compared to others i priced .Laz

guys can you tell me which to buy for a 200r4 for a street car with limited track time.also need the vendors name or web site.thank you:)

You need to state your whole combo.... especially turbo.. camshaft... and heads. The converter can be "the missing link" to combos to really make them "haul the mail". You need to match the stall speed to the size turbo and engine displacement...

Yes, Lynch was flying. He's using ATI's tranny with the huge by large input shaft. He kept breaking the standard size input shafts so they made the change this year or late last year. ATI is the only company who makes a converter to fit their input shaft.

Neil Chance makes it too. It was on display at Orlando.

All i can say Dusty spec'd me a converter for use with a th400 and gearvendors and it works exactly the way i want it. I can cruise on the highway@2500 without excessive slippage, but the converter will flash to 4000 on the transbrake as soon as the boost comes up about 2secs. I am currently running a 231 with 8.5 compression and a 71GTS turbo with a 4 bolt .81 housing. Dusty worked specially with PTC to match the unit to my application. I can;t get to the track this year but the car feels great. These units rock!

Which PTC did you go with ?

All i can say Dusty spec'd me a converter for use with a th400 and gearvendors and it works exactly the way i want it. I can cruise on the highway@2500 without excessive slippage, but the converter will flash to 4000 on the transbrake as soon as the boost comes up about 2secs. I am currently running a 231 with 8.5 compression and a 71GTS turbo with a 4 bolt .81 housing. Dusty worked specially with PTC to match the unit to my application. I can;t get to the track this year but the car feels great. These units rock!

Your welcome Norb...lol ;)

Neil Chance makes it too. It was on display at Orlando.

I imagine you will see other companies offering their own versions. With turbo motors making over 3000hp the move to the larger input shafts are becoming necessary if they stick with the auto's.

His 9.5 is a weld together like most out there. The only Buick running our bolt together is Dick Kereny which is also a 9.5

I'm using Performance Trends' Drag Racing Pro v2.0 Analyzer. With the data I have up to this point I'm seeing 10% slip at the 660 ft. mark and estimate I'll see 7% slip at the 1320 ft. mark. I haven't had this setup on a quarter mile track yet. One more week.

Don,

Have you been to the track yet ?

That analyzer looks like a nice program, is yours the team engineer version ?

Im going to look into a buy in for my customers.seems like a good choice for he high powered stuff.nice to get it right the first time.

Don,

Have you been to the track yet ?

That analyzer looks like a nice program, is yours the team engineer version ?

It's the Pro version. I'm not sure if it's the team engineer version.

Last weekend was a milestone for the car. Clicked off a 9.19@145. Decided to try a major fueling change and it worked great. There's more in it too. Haven't had a chance to study over the data logs much. Been too busy working with the videos we took over the weekend. I will work that slip number for you guys and also the stall characteristics of the T/C at launch with the nitrous.

Im going to look into a buy in for my customers.seems like a good choice for he high powered stuff.nice to get it right the first time.

I know what you mean Chris. The feedback on these torque converters look very nice.

Getting real close to being ready to test out your new VB too.

It's the Pro version. I'm not sure if it's the team engineer version.

Last weekend was a milestone for the car. Clicked off a 9.19@145. Decided to try a major fueling change and it worked great. There's more in it too. Haven't had a chance to study over the data logs much. Been too busy working with the videos we took over the weekend. I will work that slip number for you guys and also the stall characteristics of the T/C at launch with the nitrous.

Ran into a little problem with trying to calculate the slip. I've adjusted the engine power curve in my drag racing software to more closely match the new HP level of the engine and the datalogs, but it won't let me use a stall speed under 5200 rpm. When I try to plug in a converter factor to lower the stall to my actual 2350 at 0 boost, it comes back with a message that the stall I'm trying to use is too low for this power curve.:mad: I'm trying to tell the program, 'but it works' and it just keeps arguing with me. I'm going to call the programmer and see if they'll change the software to allow lower stalls with the kind of power curves this turbo engine puts out. I don't have a VSS or a speedo so it's hard for me to come up with a slip number without the help of the sim. I'll keep you posted.

I figured out that I'm getting 8% slippage from my Neal Chance. That is taking into account just under 6% tire growth. Crossing the finish line at around 7,500 @ just over 145 mph.

I figured out that I'm getting 8% slippage from my Neal Chance. That is taking into account just under 6% tire growth. Crossing the finish line at around 7,500 @ just over 145 mph.

Don
Did you try the ATI....:D
I should post a picture of the Unit I just got...:tongue:

The Neal Chance is the only big name T/C I've had in the car. I just don't have the budget to try out different T/Cs like some of you. As Scott pointed out to me lately, the way this car chirps the slicks on the 1-2 and 2-3, I don't think I want anything tighter anyway.