Best brake fluid brand

RICER X

I'm getting ready to change out my brake fluid, and I know not to use any DOT 5. And I see a lot of staff and support recommend DOT 3. But as for a brand, any recommendations???:)

Powermaster?
Yes, still the old powermaster, and still working so far. I read somewhere that I only had to suck all of the fluid out of the resivore. This has got to be wrong, you would kind of be defeating the purpose wouldn't you.

The reason I asked is - one of the most important things you can do to keep your Powermaster working properly is to change out the fluid frequently. Once a year minimum. I do it every 6 months when I change oil. Maybe a little overkill but brake fluid is cheap :)

If you do this once or twice a year you can just suck the fluid out of the reservoir. You won't get all the fluid but you'll get 80%.

Hmmm. 27 years now. I never even thought about changing the brake fluid. It has had some added here and there when I did brake work. Original power master never had a problem with it. I guess it's dumb luck.

I didn't realize I was supposed to do it either until I started reading all of the forums about the powermaster.

Hmmm. 27 years now. I never even thought about changing the brake fluid. It has had some added here and there when I did brake work. Original power master never had a problem with it. I guess it's dumb luck.
27 years? LOL! Consider yourself damn lucky :D.

Yes, it's a good idea to depressurize the PM twice a year, and suck all the fluid out of the reservoir, and refill to PROPER levels. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TURN THE KEY ON until you get the proper fluid levels back up, as per the pictures I've posted in several places.
You need not worry about cleaning out the lines, things will circulate enough over time that they'll get their share of clean liquid over time.

You may be right; but he asked for the best...and the best is 5.1

I agree with kidglok, it has the highest boiling point to help reduce the chance of fade if you were to really heat the brakes. But as Turbodave said, don't bother otherwise.

Paul

Thanks guys. I am checking what's going on with my threads. I've been going thru and been checking all of my old post. I just found all of these. I didn't even know anybody posted anything since my last post. I already changed the fluid out the other day. I never even knew there was a DOT 5.1:confused: I went with DOT 3