Best BOV for the Money?

89drivin87

Goin' Fast With Class
Thinking about getting the new billet 6265 turbo from precision and i think we all know they are not cheap.I never thought i would put a BOV on my Buick but with the cost of that turbo, any premature wear that could be stop is money well spent.I just dont know which are "the best bang for the buck". Any information would be great thanks

If you have the money to spend just get a Tial 50mm. $200.

If you want to save some money there are dozens of knock-offs of common BOV designs out there for $50.

I just bought the Tial 50 mm BOV. I didn't buy it cause it was the best deal just because I thought it was the best one. Bought one of their new WG's as well. They are really sharp and u rarely hear anyone complain about them!

The Tials are good.
But you will find comparable quality and prices out of Turbosmart and JGS. Ive had their products. Both a high quality.

You may be able to find some deals on the other brands..

GNBRETT,
who did you get your TIAL stuff from?

I just picked up a Tial Alpha Q for a customer. Looks like a nice piece. 50mm. A little over 200.00

If you're Speed Density, an open BOV is fine. If you're still MAF, you should use a recirculating BOV.

Been running a MAF with a valve vented-to-atmosphere for a long time, no problems.

I'm just curious. What does your O2 read when you close the throttle with boost going on? I'm assuming it goes pretty rich. Does it?

My car doesn't have a BOV and it goes to 10.0 on the wideband when I let off for about 2 seconds under any amount of boost over 5psi. or so.

Never an issue. :smile:

Then again thinking I need a BOV isn't an issue either. ;)

If you're Speed Density, an open BOV is fine. If you're still MAF, you should use a recirculating BOV.

Please elaborate..I have a MAF and have been vent to the atmosphere for years without any problems..11.9 to 12.5 on the WB when off the gas. Tial is the way to go.

Please elaborate..I have a MAF and have been vent to the atmosphere for years without any problems..11.9 to 12.5 on the WB when off the gas. Tial is the way to go.

I wouldn't imagine that it would cause any drivability concerns. If you go by the book, if you're running a maf, the bov should recirculate. You'll just be injecting too much fuel for about a second as the turbo spools down just after closing the throttle.

A speed density fueling system uses a map reading to calculate load. Close the throttle and the map goes low. The ECM see low map and delivers an appropriate injector pw.

A maf driven fueling system uses the amount of airflow passing through the maf sensor to sense engine load and fueling requirements. When the throttle is closed, airflow through the engine goes low. The pressure in the uppipe along with the low map causes the bov to open and exhaust airflow. The turbo doesn't drop rpm instantly and requires a small bit of time to spool down. As the turbo is spooling down, it is still drawing airflow through the maf sensor. Airflow that is not going through the engine and is being dumped through the bov. The computer sees high airflow while the turbo is spooling down, so more than the needed amount of fuel is supplied to the engine. The computer thinks the added fuel is going to me mixed with the air that is actually being dumped through the bov. Ooops.
When you recirculate the air being dumped by the bov and route it to between the maf and the turbo, it cuts the airflow through the maf and the computer delivers the proper fueling to the engine.

Thanks for the input.Think im gonna go with Tial.It sounds like they are the best overall and look good in my opinion.anybody recommend a place to buy?