Best alchy nozzle location

HellOnWheels

HellOnWheels
Has it been determined as to where the optimum location in the intercooler, or up pipe is for the alchy nozzle?

What about direction of spray?

Opinions....

HOW

I installed mine on the side of the up pipe about 3-4 inches from the TB. Direction of spray should always be toward the TB/intake.
Inadvertantely filling the intercooler with alky would not be a desirable condition.

Mitch

Best location is "inside the pipe" :D

Where... doesnt matter. Cept place it higher than the tank due to siphoning possibilities.

HTH

I don't know where you should put it, but check out the tb.com alky forum. Your every question can be answered in unending detail. :D

I believe most people with side mounted nozzles, like the one pictured above, spray much of the solution to collect on the opposite wall, pooling and recombining, defeating the atomization purpose.

Aligning the nozzle to dispense 'with' the airflow is the way to evaporate more, the obvious objective.

I have mine located on the driver side of the up pipe about 5 inches back from the TB. I have no problems at all.

Alky System/Location Question

I'm in need of advice. Let me describe my set up and then I'll ask my questions...

Vehicle Description - 74 Vega, 4.3 turbo (with a/c & heat) P&P Vortec heads, 200-4R, 3.73 gear, TE-60, 72# injectors, F.A.S.T. system, FMIC, etc... Yes, it easily runs in the 9's!!!!!!!

I'm using the Edelbrock 2114 four barrel intake. I converted it to EFI and it has a 2" aluminum carb spacer welded on to ad more plenum space.

MY ALKY INJECTION IS IN THE PLANNING STAGE AT THIS TIME. IT WILL BE A 5 GALLON FUEL CELL, WITH A SENDING UNIT & FUEL LEVEL GAUGE INSTALLED, 80 PSI PUMP, FILTER, & 3/8 LINE.

Question 1 - Would a four barrel nitrous plate with the smallest nitrous jets on each end work for alcohol injection? I'll be using the 80 psi pump, 3/8 line, and a "Y" with two lines going to the nitrous plate. I'll be using either 90% isopropyl or methanol.

Question 2 - Will proper atomization be able to occur with the alky being injected so close to the runners?

Question 3 - Am I nuts for wanting to do it this way? I think (know) that this will be very visually impressive on the car. My car is pretty over the top so hiding the system is pointless anyway. :)

I know it's a Chevy, but I have owned two TR's in the past. I appreciate any help and/or advice anyone can give me.

The plate is not designed for alcohol, you'll need a solenoid, and the pump you'll be using probably will fail with alcohol after extended use.

I'd like to see the fuel level sender that handles alcohol.

So aside from you trying to do alcohol like it was gasoline, your setup leaves a lot to be desired.

Its not bout looks, but effectiveness. You have two choices, go with setups that are proven, or go on your own. One has higher risks than the other. Rewards of going on your own can sometimes prove beneficial... Had I not gone on my own, I wouldnt be doing what I do today.

Tho I pay attention to whats being done and why.. and make decisions based on what I think may work better.

HTH

Thanks for the input...

I have spoken to a tech at one of the nitrous companies and was told that the spray bar would work fine since gas and alcohol have very close to the same density and flow rate capabilities.

I'll be using the same pump as in some of the alky kits talked about on here...So I guess everyone else has to replace the pump after awhile too.

I know the tube type sender will handle alcohol. However, I've not tried the arm type sender to see if it will also.

It seems to me that ALL of the other kits out there do alcohol like it is gasoline as well. My method of delivery is a spray bar instead of a spray nozzle...And the difference is???

I'll test it out and let you know if it works as expected.

TAD

Originally posted by evilv6
Thanks for the input...

It seems to me that ALL of the other kits out there do alcohol like it is gasoline as well. My method of delivery is a spray bar instead of a spray nozzle...And the difference is???

I'll test it out and let you know if it works as expected.

TAD

The differece is $$$$$. Nozzle is 10.00 and no special fittings are required.

But hey, you have the plate so its free. But you will still need a solenoid. Thats $$$.

Pump.. mines been in straight methanol since April '03.. no failures yet. Actually I may take it down and apart post some pixs of it internally.

If the sender has aluminum or steel.. it will rot.

Pressures, type of lines, type of fittings, type of delivery, tuning, is way different than gasoline. WAY different.

My pump runs 170 PSI, lines are teflon, fittings are brass, injection varies with boost pressure, and the tune-up is way different than you would on straight pump.

Think you need to do a little more digging.

HTH

So it is best to have the nozzle spraying directly down into the throttle body, right?
Right now, mine is actually pointed/spraying at the opposite side of the pipe's wall.

On a turbo application, straight across the pipe is fine. Air rushing past it will carry into the motor. The old way using the NOS nozzle was pointing the nozzle torwards the IC.

On a supercharged(roots) application, then yes pointing torwards TB is how its done.

so theoretically, if we had one of your kits and hooked it up to a nitrous plate, we'd be okay?

Only way i'd use a nitrous plate would be with a carb'd setup. My opinions are mixed pre'carb spraying alcohol.

For an EFI forced induction, simple nozzles are proven.