Belt tensioner bearing issue

PaulRV6

I have a stock 86 and the belt tensioner is squeaky. It drives me crazy. Last I new the tensioner pulley is discontinued. Is this true? What are others doing to fix this problem? Thanks

Have you tried a shorter belt? Sometimes that works. The bearing can be replaced, too.

There are after market Billet ones out there, kind of pricey, but the one I have works really well.

I bought it in a group purchase several years ago, so i don't know who sells them, but I've seen several original style ones on Evil Bay. I think Original Parts Group, or something.

In addition, i'm sure someone on here has one stashed away they might be willing to part with.

Last edited:
Then I would have to press the brg out and press the new one in? Is that a simple job? Thanks

January 6, 2015 reply has the bearing part number at Autozone.

Gbody parts has tensioner assemblies & I bought one a few months back(some people have had issues with them, I only use their eBay store & have had none).

Other option is to take the 10ish minutes & do it yourself. Take belt off, take bolt off of pulley, take pulley off, pound out bearing, pound new bearing in, replace pulley & bolt.

I used a Timken 6203-2RS-C3 bearing.

Even I'm more civilized installing the new one, properly sized socket for the outer race and a big vise to squeeze it in there evenly.
Then again the BFH that you got the old one out with is right there too. :p

I have a stock 86 and the belt tensioner is squeaky. It drives me crazy. Last I new the tensioner pulley is discontinued. Is this true? What are others doing to fix this problem? Thanks
Just replace the bearing and keep on truckin'

Here's the same post as above, but with the pictures.

Thanks guys for all your replies. After removing belt found out its the front alternator brg and not the tensioner brg. Does anyone know the P/N for the front alt brg? Is it the same as the rear? Is this easily replaced? Thanks for the help.

Thanks guys for all your replies. After removing belt found out its the front alternator brg and not the tensioner brg. Does anyone know the P/N for the front alt brg? Is it the same as the rear? Is this easily replaced? Thanks for the help.
Not the same as rear. Not bad to do, watch videos on YouTube...I did it.....
But I would rebuild the entire unit while you are at it......regards