Before Black BS'ing thread.

Anybody ever see a tube like this in the end exhaust ports?...... I'm not sure if i should leave them or try to knock them out. I wonder what their function is?

That's original to heads which are 25506293. It is part of the A.I.R. system. The air pump would blow air directly into those ports during cold operation causing the catalytic converter to heat up faster. I don't know if there is any benefit to removing them. Even if the AIR pump is removed and you no longer use a cat it won't change a thing. I left mine on.

They are 293 heads. After I posted that I remembered having an air pump on a Cutlass I had and figured that was what they were for. I knocked them out since my engines do not go into a GM vehicle. My 4885 heads have never had the tubes. The passages dead end at my intake since it does not have any emissions equipment. Thanks for the info.

I went through my parts stash last week and found enough parts I forgot about to put the heads on the 3.8 last resort spare engine. New GM shim head gaskets, GM GN intake gaskets with heat passages blocked off, new Comp push rods, ARP head bolts, new exhaust valves with smooth stems, and Viton seals. I pocket ported the heads and did a valve job, cut the guides for seals, and put some Comp 980 springs on them. I have a KB intake for it. Maybe I will put the heads on next week. If I don't break something, I will be out of engine projects for a while. Just in time to go Tarpon fly fishing in the Keys.

Popping back in after a long hiatus. 3 kids 5 years old and under will do that to you...all boys too. No new news on the Regal, just another year older. Need to finish getting un-noticeable weight out of the car and get back to the track. Anybody want to babysit?

You have a whole Pre School there. One 20 month old grand daughter wears me out. Can't imagine 3.

I planned ahead and already picked up my winter car for next year. 04 rainier with a 5.3, 3.73's, posi, super loaded with bose sound, memory seats, sunroof, ect.

Gotta get a rad support, rad, ac condensor, hood, grill, and headlights.

Its a black buick, probably going to take the CXL and put GS badges on it.

Great vehicle. I have a 2002 Trailblazer with a 4.2 and posi rear. It's the same chassis. Tows my boats really well, and never spins a tire pulling the boat and trailer out of a crappy ramp. I wish they still made that design. It's a perfect size. The electronics are pretty complicated though, but then, what isn't these days. The 5.3 is way better than the 4.2. Power on the 4.2 is very good, but the piston slap when cold is pretty bad. It's knocked cold since new when my wife's cousin bought it. I got it 4 years ago in garage kept mint condition. Hope you enjoy yours.

Finished my spare 3.8. Now the spare parts I had laying around are being put to use, except it is going into my storage shed on a dolly for future use as a last resort engine. My wife likes the idea of having all those parts on an engine that she can sell instead of a bunch of parts laying around in the event I don't come home from a fishing trip.

photo (18).JPG

I am installing a 86/87 oil cooler in my car. I have the 86/87 radiator and all the stuff. My question is, does the relief valve on the adapter have to line up with the relief on the oil pump?

The inlet and outlet are more for clocking Matt. Te should be toward the top and slightly anti-clockwise.
So you don't have to have the relief valve marked in the pictures i am posting, line up with the relief valve on the front cover pump? Anyway i install the adapter will be ok right?

Attachments

• DSCF5527.JPG
    DSCF5527.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 111
  • DSCF5528.JPG
    DSCF5528.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
So you don't have to have the relief valve marked in the pictures i am posting, line up with the relief valve on the front cover pump? Anyway i install the adapter will be ok right?
You don't need them lined up Matt. I have always used full flow coolers and blocked the relief valve myself. Run it to the filter and then the cooler so it gets more protection from trash. The stock system is passive so it's not a 100% cooling of the oil.

You don't need them lined up Matt. I have always used full flow coolers and blocked the relief valve myself. Run it to the filter and then the cooler so it gets more protection from trash. The stock system is passive so it's not a 100% cooling of the oil.
basically, if i have the two ports (the line ports) facing up i should be ok?

The price is reasonable on that rear end after coverting AUD to US dollars. Shipping may be high, but that is one nice rear end for the money. Will they custom make the axles and tubes to your dimensions?