Before Black BS'ing thread.

Fuel system for a EFI setup on the cheap?

Sump the stock tank or get a GN pickup
GO to stock lines
Splice in a C5 corvette filter regulator
Going to have to get rid of the factory rubber stuff.

SC swap isnt that simple though. Theres a reason why im one of the few to have done it.

I put my 3.8 back together after robbing the heads, rockers, and cam for my 4.1 spare. I dug out a Kenne Bell MK2 cam and lifters I used to run, and built an aftermarket Pioneer front cover I have had for 12 years. It surprised me by how well it was machined. .002 end play on the gears and 60psi with a 600 rpm drill. I used an old KB high volume pump I used to run on this engine because I used Kenne Bell full groove mains when I built this engine from a 29,000 mile core. I think they were .001 undersize because it had almost .003 clearance on a standard crank. This engine, and some spare 4.1 blocks, are ballast for my storage shed when a hurricane comes our way. At least the floor will be held down.

I'll be updating "Repeat procedure" soon. Received the last few parts I needed to get started and finish it now on a slightly different path than I intended this year. I'm freshening up the top end on the small Chevy in the Corvair right now and when its done it's all free time spent on the Buick. I've missed hanging out here lately but had nothing to add until now. Look for the updates guys.

Anyone been to an automotive paint store lately? The cost of paint is rediculous. I had to strip and repaint the front bumper on my Trailblazer. 1/2 pint of custom mixed candy red base coat, reducer, and a quart of clear with activator-$172.00! That's not counting epoxy primer I already had. When I painted my Toyota truck in 2011 with PPG laquer, it was $110.00 per gallon. It is now $400.00 a gallon. Dupont quit making laquer altogether. It's all single stage and two stage urethane now. I can see why good paint jobs are so expensive. I guess big shops buy in quantity and mix their own paint. I paint under a pop up awning. Bugs love paint. I painted a mosquito into my hood. He sanded and rubbed out nicely.

everything has gotten rediculous lately... price of gaskets? sheesh.... price of chrome moly tubing? stupid.... price of paint? i couldnt agree more..... price of beer? still resonable.

so we may be okay.

ive been swamped... havent done any buick stuff in awhile now. too busy with customers and family life. I miss you guys. lol.

A.j.

Customers and family life is a good thing. More money=happy wife. Happy wife= lots of good stuff.

I got my internship at my home town for the summer so it looks like ill be able to get my 2004r in finally. Woop!

Sent via a potato with the sour cream and shredded cheese app

all good points. but i feel ive neglected my buicks far too long... poor little buggers!

Internship is awesome. pray you have a cougar as a boss. lots of overtime.

Well ive kinda got a delema.

That complete $450 forged rebuild kit 20 miles away from me is up for sale again. Gaskets, .040 forged weiscos, 218-218, head studs, valvesprings, timing set, ect.

Ive had the urge, as cool as drawthrough stuff is, to change the setup. Ive already got a set of good heads and those pistons would make myself a nice reliable high 10 second motor.

Plan ive been tossing around is get a kennebell/wieand intake, build an elbow, L67 throttle body, on3 70 turbo. Set of ebay headers and mod them to put turbo up front, build a down pipe, megasquirt EFI. Take a decent amount of work but id get me high 10's.

I told myself I wasnt going to do a major build on a 3.8 since the series II motors are so awesome, but its such a deal. Unless somebody wants a deal on the stuff?

Good price. Nice plan for a blowthrough. I just bought a nice Kenne Bell intake really cheap. I already have one on each of my engines. Since I run N/A with a nitrous plate system, my idea is to convert the manifold to a direct port nitrous system on my girdled 4.1 stroker, and put the plate system on my spare 4.1 stroker. I am not sure if I can run it with single solenoids. V8 systems use a solenoid for each side. It should give better distribution, and allow tuning each cylinder independently. Wether it will increase power over the plate system is the big question. Anyone have experience with converting to direct port from a plate system?

Only reason that I want to go EFI over blowthrough is i want to run E85 and getting a carb to do that AND blowthrough is kinda a special art.

Anybody have a single plane they want to get rid of? Haha!

Cool, ill see how it falls together. Megasquirt costs more than I want to spend. Not the box thats expensive but buying all the plugs, harness, and tuning cable gets annoying. Its like $350 and I still have to solder together the ECM. I want to mess around with adapting a GM 3800 ECM onto it since I pick up the awesome spark system but I already have my MSD BTM and good HEI so theres nothing to pick up besides knock retard and better control. But the GM system doesnt run on speed density well since it wont pick up over 14 PSI.

Kinda split between keeping it the way it is or doing a 3800 turbo swap on something else. Machining/welding stuff for me seems straightforward and easy to plan, not sure where the fuel control sits. Pretty set that I dont want blowthrough. Ive got a good running car, probably smartest just to get my 87 GN compressor in, 2004R in and call it good. Wont run 11's but its simple and cheap.

Anybody ever see a tube like this in the end exhaust ports? I pulled these heads out of the shed today and decided to do a pocket port, 3 angle valve job, and match the ports to the gaskets to put on my old spare 3.8. These are not 8445 heads. They came off the block I used to build the 3.8. I think it was a 1980 Regal engine with 29,000 original miles. I'm not sure if i should leave them or try to knock them out. I wonder what their function is?

photo (18).JPG