Before Black BS'ing thread.

The price is reasonable on that rear end after coverting AUD to US dollars. Shipping may be high, but that is one nice rear end for the money. Will they custom make the axles and tubes to your dimensions?
I have a dealers slip for that comapny, if you want one I can get you one for my price. Its an awesome unit. Of course, everything has to be checked, I found a few minor tolerance issues, but I'm equipped to correct those issues. I do all the tube and axle machining in house so I can't say if they would cut to your application. But if you wanted one, I would build you one for parts cost and shipping. I would ship military so don't consider that cost excessive. I bet that 54" unit I have on the shelf would fit your truck just right. Spring perches clamp on, so pinion angle is a piece of cake. .... Think about it.... Pm me.. Ha!

I think my 8" rear is 54". I will keep it in mind. I recently put new gears in the 8" to get rid of a whine at 45 mph after I put the Caltrac bars and solid spring bushings in, and it looks like it is holding up OK. It's always in the back of my mind as being a weak point though.

Don't feel bad, I've been running an S10 7.5 for years and have always felt like it was a grenade with the pin pulled. But I have been lucky so far.

Looking at that pinion bearing carrier reminded me of a 9" I set up in the late 70's for what was then a Pro Stock car. It used 2 really big sealed ball bearings like Ford axle bearings, but bigger, instead of tapered bearings. There was no spacer or crush sleeve. You just pressed them into the carrier and tightened the pinion nut. There was no play at all or preload to set. I never saw another one like it, and don't know who made the pinion carrier or what bearings it used.

Last edited:
Your right on the money boss, the center is set up for the HD Daytona style setup which gives you the 3.25 pinion bearing. Real strong stuff.

Those are tapered rollers, right? We used that bearing in a Schieffer pinion housing with a solid spacer and shims to get the preload on the alky funny car and TA dragster my boss ran. The one I was talking about used sealed ball bearings. Maybe that's why I never saw one again. Your pinion carrier has more bolts than the Sheiffer had, and the differential studs go all the way through. Looks bullet proof.

Cool tidbit. I dont know nearly enough about manuals.

Sent via a potato with the sour cream and shredded cheese app

Around 67 or so GM decided that the saginaw wasn't strong enough but the ford top loader would hold up. All the BOP manual bells had both GM and ford mounts for the trannies. I have an old article from 67 (?) in an extinct magazine with a test drive of an Olds that showed GM used ford parts in some cases.:eek:

Interesting. Sounds like its a good setup then since its a 67 so its probably got a good non smogger heads.

Where my current project sits now.