Before Black BS'ing thread.

Alchy and cigars make it all better man. I been playing with guns and not my vehicles lately...

My Durango has a power drain but its too cold to find where it's draining from so i have to disconnect the battery every time i park it. Doing that when it's -15 out sucks. And people wonder why the guy with the black thing has to open the hood anytime he drives it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'd check the ABS motor, I found a similar issue with a friends truck.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Why is everyone afraid of a z71 with a 5.3 and nitrous and a good tune? Oh and I'm on 35s with a 311k motor.

Some photos of the mock up for my spare N/A 4.1. RPM 4340 3.625 stroke crank, Molner 5.960 rods. The pistons are from my old 4.1 that cracked the main webs. This is a 291 block that I honed to 3.972 and had the 3.962 pistons ceramic coated .005-.006 to get them large enough to get .0045 piston to wall after I got the bores straight and round. This block sonic tested .160 at the thinest spot in one cylinder, so I did not want to bore it, and I wanted to use these custom pistons I had. The Molner rods are made very well and cleared the oil passage by .073 with only .060 ground off the block. The cam also has .041 rod to cam clearance on a .318 lift lobe. Molner did his homework when he designed these rods. I will probably give the rods a little more clearance to be safe, just in case I change to a roller cam. This cam is an old KB Mk2R flat tappet grind. Ported irons with 1.770 intakes and T&D rockers. I am using all the parts I can from my 3.8 spare. Clearances checked out perfect. Mains .0018, rods .002 with .006 side clearance (my Cat rods have .018 in my girdled 4.1) .008 end play. The crank turns easily just by grabbing the snout with my bare hand. It makes me wonder if I should even bother with a line hone?

photo (15).JPG photo (16).JPG

I think you will be okay with out the line hone! Totally impressed brother, if you got the peanut butter bring it cause I'm totally jelly!

I clearanced all the rods today. I only took off about .040 on the cam side below the bolt threads, and then tapered the bolt threads on cylinders 2 and 4. #1 had enough clearance with a standard bolt. There is no interfearance on the other cylinders. I have .082 clearance on the flat tappet, so a roller with wider lobes should clear with the same lift if I ever decide to put my roller in. If you take the piston and rod out of the opposing cylinder, you can get feeler gauges in between the cam and rod with your hand in the bore as you rotate the crank. Now it's off to be balanced. I hope the local shop can do it without a long wait. The other option is 75 miles away, and maybe a longer wait.

Just found this. Awesone little article on the story of the ESC and CCC system. Turns out the 81 turbo 3.8 engine WAS the paramiter that every 81 GM ecu was built around...aside from historical worth, you guys see any practical use to be gained by this?

Also fount this archived paper/report. The 1981 EPA Knock Sensor test program...uses a 1980 buick Regal 3.8 turbo as the testbed. An excellent read...some info/paramiters and charts on the ECS's retard capabities!! Mostly MPG and emissions info based on fuel octane. Final pages have relavent SAE paper numbers to research further.

Last edited:
Hey Charlie I snuck this pic of the "work truck" getting washed said it cant be dirty nomore since Im the boss now.

Attachments

• 1391749996901.jpg
    1391749996901.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 79
Rotating assembly balanced and installed. After 24 Spiro Locks, I need new finger tips. I'm ready to swap all the parts from the 3.8, but I need an internal balance dampner. I think I may go with the one TA has. It's just a stock looking dampner with a removable weight.

photo (17).JPG

Last edited:
Are you guys shoveling snow? I'll take Hurricanes any day, as long as the wind is below 100. The local 1/8 mile strip had so many cars last Saturday night, I only got 2 runs in all night. A 7.99 with 30 pct @ 4 seconds to 100 pct on the NOS controller. Then somebody did an oil down in the lane I had and the track got slick, so I gave up after I spun the tires hard with a little more NO2 dialed in. Mickey Thompson Street radials don't do well anyway. I got a TA nuetral balancer for the spare engine today. Not sure when I can get back on that project.

Building a 500whp LS powered malibu to play with gn is down turbo melted

Nice. If I had another foot of space in my truck, that would be my choice. What year Malibu?