Beehive springs and guide wear – Iron heads

Or use +.050 keepers and shim as needed

So you can get thinner retainers? That would solve a lot of problems. I know that the seats have to be cut for the springs anyway so I figured test the springs to get the right weight on the seat and measure the height so I know how much to cut. I'm estimating about .050 to get them under 100 lbs for the flat tappet design.

So you can get thinner retainers? That would solve a lot of problems. I know that the seats have to be cut for the springs anyway so I figured test the springs to get the right weight on the seat and measure the height so I know how much to cut. I'm estimating about .050 to get them under 100 lbs for the flat tappet design.

The spring rate on a beehive is progressive.
Be carefull. ;)

Same here??? Mike doesnt mention it & lets face it, thats another part sold with each order so that $$ in his pocket but yet he doesnt even sell them?? I dont get it??
Paging Mike please!

If there is more parts to sell we want to sell them, but the truth of the matter is 6 or so years ago when I gave the stock seat dimensions to the guy at Comp he said on an iron head they would not be needed. We do have locater/cups in stock for Champion aluminum heads which must be used. When Comp switched suppliers on the beehive springs a few years ago and they all started breaking we switched to PAC who is the originator of that spring and Comps original supplier. After selling hundreds of sets I do not know of any problems related to this topic. If you guys want spring cups, no problem, we will get them, but the heads will need to be machined in most cases to get enough installed height. So far I have not seen the need.
Mike

If there is more parts to sell we want to sell them, but the truth of the matter is 6 or so years ago when I gave the stock seat dimensions to the guy at Comp he said on an iron head they would not be needed. We do have locater/cups in stock for Champion aluminum heads which must be used. When Comp switched suppliers on the beehive springs a few years ago and they all started breaking we switched to PAC who is the originator of that spring and Comps original supplier. After selling hundreds of sets I do not know of any problems related to this topic. If you guys want spring cups, no problem, we will get them, but the heads will need to be machined in most cases to get enough installed height. So far I have not seen the need.
Mike

Thanks Mike!!

The spring rate on a beehive is progressive.
Be carefull. ;)

Thanks Jerryl but I know that. I'm trying for a better system so I need 1 spring for now to do some checking. If it works then the valve train will be much more stable and if you can get a "stock" seat presure with better readings when open I think it would be the best of both.

The retainers are the same...

The difference is in the keepers (locks)

The locking groove is machined .050" lower in the keeper so it creates a +.050" installed height.

I used a set of these in my motor and they work great.

I also don't have locators in my motor... just good hardened shims.

Next time it comes apart however, I will have the pockets cut a little deeper to accomodate the locators.

Here's a visual... (7deg std vs 10deg +.050)

Attachments

• DSC07879 (2).jpg
    DSC07879 (2).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 235
Thanks Art. Now all I need a spring to check presures and if everything is good then I'm set up to use these springs. Cool.

Old Thread Alert.....Hey Man, I searched.

Now, with some more years of experience behind us, have we learned if spring locators are needed with behive springs on stock iron heads?