Be patient with me (Noob)

I would say the odds are better that a Honda or whatever will bite off more than they can chew just on appearances. . Today there is a much better chance that that stock looking GN or T in the other lane is an Alcohol burning, large turbo powered terror that runs 10's or 11's than a 14 second stocker.

P.S. I do love the new stuff too.

What's this not bad for being stock..

My best friend BigAir used his 86T grocery getter put the smack down on 2 Saleens and a Cobra R in one night not bad for 20 yr.technology with a few Bolt-ons. Then he raced a guy in a twin Turbo Porsche Carrera, the Porsche guy was decent though cause they stopped and talked after the run and he gave kudos about my buddy's Buick but then finished the compliment with my car did good for being stock. Yep a 120K stocker gets spanked by a 4k Buick that had over 100k miles before my buddy bolted on a PT 49, 3" THDP, 009's with a Joe Lubrant chip, PT FMIC and ET streets and a TransGo shift kit old school

What's this not bad for being stock..????

My best friend BigAir one night used his 86T grocery getter put the smack down on 2 Saleens and a Cobra R in one night not bad for 20 yr.technology with a few Bolt-ons. Then he raced a guy in a twin Turbo Porsche Carrera, the Porsche guy was decent though cause they stopped and talked after the run and he gave kudos about my buddy's Buick but then finished the compliment with my car did good for being stock. Yep a 120K stocker gets spanked by a 4k Buick that had over 100k miles before my buddy bolted on a PT 49, 3" THDP, 009's with a Joe Lubrant chip, PT FMIC, and ET streets and a TransGo shift kit, and some C16 all old school bolt-ons. Less then 4K in boltons and he beat all those stock perse' mentioned cars ...What a stupid statement a 120K stocker..The other stockers cost between 50-60K off the show room floor. The red Cobra R with a huge wing was at least 60k and was pathetic for that amount of money payed.;) ;)

Just remember that our cars are unique and were made by people that had imagination. In the 60's-80's the idea of a v6 blowing away a v8 was hillarious. And imagine the embarassment for the lead foot idiot driving a muscrat. I used to kill with my skyhawk 231 in the 80's and everyone couldn't believe it was a v6, and it was NA. With the newer technology imagine what you could do today with the equiptment we used to run.

I agree w/ the above statement.....dude, its a friggin 20+ year old car. OF COURSE cars now will be faster. If not, technology advancement has hit a serious plateau. You can't compare ANY 2008 car w/ ANY 80's car. A more accurate comparison would be a 1987 BMW or Audi or Mustang or Honda or any of that crap. Most V6's now make more power than V8 "musclecars" in the 80's. I understand you don't know much by the "noob" moniker, but this has to be one of the most asinine, idiotic things I've read in my life...just sayin....

Don't sell the GN short. In 1987 you could have driven a GN out of the dealership, bolted on slicks, filled up with race gas, adjusted boost to 22 lbs and ran a mid to high 12 sec 1/4 mile - All for $2-300 and a few minutes of your time. How many new cars can you do that with? In a recent Hot Rod article, they spent a pile of money on mods for the new Challenger and still didn't get it into the 12's. These cars are all about potential.

I have to admit technology has come a long way. Here is looking at it from another perspective.

Road & Track, Motor Trend and some other magazines are always big on 0 - 60 times. I never understood this but with todays technology my wifes takes her Buick to the track on Sunday rips off a 6.33 !/8th mile @ 110 MPH and runs 9.90 in the 1/4 then drives it to work on Monday.

Yep, technology has really advanced I see their point, they are right.

That is the slowest 0-60 time I have ever heard of for a GN. Car and Driver got a 1986 GN to do 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and the 1/4 in 13.9 seconds. Do 85% of cars today beat that???

No car of the 1980's was fast by today's standards.

No new car you can buy today for under 40K will run low 12's with $1500 in bolt on mods, however (other than a 150 shot of N20) (with the exception of the 03-04 Cobras, of course)

A stock Turbo, stock intercooler, stock injector, stock transmission, stock motor, stock rear end, stock interior, stock body, stock wheel T/R will run low 12's @ 110 mph with really only the following mods:

Chip
K&N Filter
Fuel Pump
FP regulator
adjustable wastegate
Sticky Tires
Exhaust
Octane

+ Free/Cheap mods.

It isn't 1 or 2 people that have done this either, but thousands over the last 20 years.

No, a slightly modified stock TR isn't faster than a new Z06, but it is quicker than the other 99.9% of cars on the road.

I like to keep in mind that our cars are rear wheel drive, and basic physics are
at our advantage when it comes to launching and weight transfer. For a reasonable amount of money, the rear control arms can be upgraded, air bags can be added, and solid launches are guaranteed with good quality tires.
Most new cars now are front wheel drive, or all wheel drive, and it requires much more work to get them to hook up better I think. Dollar for dollar, a GN
with even minimal upgrades still smokes most cars out there. And besides, they're fun to work on and learn about.