Proposed bill to ban all 'high-powered' vehicles.

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Not sure if this has ever been posted, but I saw it today on another web board and thought this has to be ridiculous....

HR 10200 IH
115th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. R. 10200

High-Powered Vehicles Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2009
To end street racing, and for other purposes.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
November 20th, 2008
Mrs. MCCARTHY of New York introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.
To which the Congress has recognized the capacity for damage and harm due to vehicles which are overpowered or possessing of features that make them capable of racing on the street while remaining legal to operate on the public thoroughfares, as well as the capacity for flight from pursuing law-enforcement vehicles and has decided to take action:
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `High-Powered Vehicles Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2009'.
SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.
(a) In General- Section 921(a)(30) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended to read as follows:
`(30) The term `High-Powered Vehicle' means any of the following:
`(A) The following autos or copies, replicas or duplicates thereof:
`(i) Ford Mustang, GT350, GT500KR, Cobra, Mustang GT, Mustang SVO, Roush, Saleen, Turbocoupe, Shelby, Mercury Capri;
`(ii) Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird;
`(iii) Buick Grand National, Turbo or GNX ;
`(iv) Dodge Charger, Challenger, Magnum, SuperBee, SuperBird, Viper, Plymouth Barracuda;
`(v) Chrysler Crossfire;
`(vi) Ford GT, Crown Victoria P71, Mercury Marauder;
`(vii) Ferrari, Aston-Martin;
`(viii) Maserati, Pagoni;
`(ix) Porsche 911, Carrera, Turbo, 928, 944, and the like;
`(x) BMW M & Z series & Mini-Cooper, Mercedes SLK & SLR, Audi TT;
`(xi) Subaru WRX & STi, Mitsubishi 3000GT and Eclipse;
`(xii) Honda Civic Si, Prelude, Civic VTEC, S2000, Acura Integra, Acura NSX, Acura TSX, Acura Vigor;
`(xiii) Nissan Skyline, 200, 240, 260, 280, 300 or 350 Z- or ZX cars, Infinity G, J, Q;
`(xiv) Toyota Supra, Supra Turbo, Celica GTS, Celica All-Trac, Corolla GTS, Corolla Type “R”, MR2, Lexus LX, LS, ES, GS;
`(xv) Mazda RX 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, Miata, MazdaSpeed;
`(xvi) Lamborghini;
`(xvii) Striker, Koenigsegg, Jaguar, Jensen;
`(xviii) Lotus Esprit, Turbo, Elise, and others;
`(xix) TVR, McClaren, Pontiac GTO, GXP;
`(xx) Corvette, ZR1, Z06, Mallet, Cadillac Northstar or CTS-V; or
`(xxi) DeTomaso Pantera, DeLorean, or Bugatti Veyron
`(B) The following trucks or copies, replicas or duplicates thereof:
`(i) Ford F150, F250, Lightning, Splash, SVT;
`(ii) GM Sierra, Silverado, Avalance;
`(iii) Dodge Ram, Jeep;
`(iv) Toyota Tundra, Tacoma; or
`(v) Nissan Titan.
`(C) The following SUVs or copies, replicas or duplicates thereof:
`(i) Hummer;
`(ii) Ford Expedition or Excursion;
`(iii) GM Suburban;
`(iv) Dodge Durango, Jeep Cherokee.
(v) Toyota Sequoia, 4Runner, Lexus GX/LX 470; or
(vi) Nissan Pathfinder Armada, Infinity 56.
`(D) Any automobile or light duty truck that has an internal combustion engine and at least one of the following--
`(i) a larger diameter exhaust system;
`(ii) a supercharger, turbocharger or forced induction or nitrous oxide system;
`(iii) a rear spoiler that stands above the rear bodywork or sheet metal;
`(iv) a custom body kit or shroud;
`(v) non-OEM wheels & tires;
(vi) Stickers, decals, artwork, or graphics such as are typically found on racing vehicles;
(vii) Modified ECU, PCM, or other device intended to alter the output of the engine; or
(viii) A High-capacity Fuel-feeding device.
`(E)(i) Except as provided in clause (ii), any vehicle with the capacity of producing over 150 brake horsepower.
`(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to an electric vehicle that has no means of internal combustion.
`(F) A street-legal vehicle that has the ability to accept a larger engine, and has--
`(i) a forced induction system;
`(ii) a higher-capacity fuel metering device;
`(iii) a large diameter exhaust system; or
`(iv) the capacity to accept a raised spoiler extending above the rear bodywork.
`(G) A medium-duty truck that is registered as a non-commercial vehicle.
`(H) A boat or marine conveyance that has any of the following--
`(i) a motor larger than 25 BHP;
`(ii) a jet drive;
`(iii) the ability to accept a larger engine; or
`(iv) a fuel capacity of larger than 5 gallons.
`(I) A motorcycle of larger than 200 cc displacement.
`(J) A frame or vehicle that is identical to, or based substantially on the frame or vehicle of, a vehicle described in any of subparagraphs (A) through (I) or (L).
`(K) A conversion kit or “kit car”.
`(L) A vehicle originally designed for military or law enforcement use, or a vehicle based on the design of such a vehicle, that is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, as determined by the Attorney General. In making the determination, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that a vehicle procured for use by the United States military or any Federal law enforcement agency is not particularly suitable for sporting purposes, and a vehicle shall not be determined to be particularly suitable for sporting purposes solely because the vehicle is suitable for use in a sporting event.'.
(b) Related Definitions- Section 921(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:
`(36) High-capacity fuel metering device- The term `high-capacity fuel metering device' means a device intended to replace or augment the fuel metering system for the motor such as fuel injectors, throttle body, carburetor, direct injector, fuel pump, injection pump, or similar device whose only purpose is to increase the amount of fuel available for the engine to consume over the factory original specifications and increase power.
`(37) Conversion Kit- The term `conversion kit' means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a nonracing vehicle into a street-racing vehicle if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
`(38) Large Diameter Exhaust System - The term `large diameter exhaust System' means an exhaust muffling device or any other component of the exhaust system which is intended to increase power above factory levels such as a turbo muffler, glasspack muffler, flowmax or flowmaster muffler, exhaust tubular headers, or dump pipe.
`(39) Forced Induction- The term `forced induction system' means any device contained in or attached to or any means by which an internal combustion engine may increase or boost the cylinder compression ratio, including turbochargers, superchargers, whipplechargers, rotochargers, Miller cycle, or ram-air.
`(40) Modified ECU, PCM, or other device- The term `Modified ECU, PCM or other device’ means an electronic device intended to alter the output of an internal combustion engine..
`(41) Nitrous Oxide System- The term `Nitrous Oxide System' means the system including tank, injection nozzles, foggers, plates, solenoids, or any other parts intended for introducing nitrous oxide into the intake air stream of an internal combustion engine.
`(42) Spoiler- The term ‘spoiler' means a wing, airfoil, deflector, plate, baffle, projection or other device intended to alter airflow over the bodywork.
`(43) Graphic, decal, sticker, or artwork- The term `graphic, sticker, decal, or artwork' means a feature or characteristic that is designed in such a manner to cause recognition that the vehicle may be a racing vehicle such as sponsorship decals, product advertisements, and custom artwork or paint schemes to increase visibility.
SEC. 4. GRANDFATHER PROVISION.
Section 922(v)(2) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended--
(1) by inserting `(A)' after `(2)'; and
(2) by adding after and below the end the following:
`(B) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any vehicle the possession or transfer of which would (but for this subparagraph) be unlawful by reason of this subsection, and which is otherwise lawfully possessed on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph.'.
SEC. 5. REPEAL OF CERTAIN EXEMPTIONS.
Section 922(v)(3) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended by striking `(3)' and all that follows through the 1st sentence and inserting the following:
`(3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any vehicle that--
`(A) is manually started by a crank;
`(B) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or
`(C) is an antique auto.'.
SEC. 6. REQUIRING BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR THE TRANSFER OF LAWFULLY POSSESSED HIGH-POWERED VEHICLES.
Section 922(v) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended by adding at the end the following:
`(5) It shall be unlawful for any person to transfer a high-powered vehicle to which paragraph (1) does not apply, except through--
`(A) a licensed dealer, and for purposes of subsection (t) in the case of such a transfer, the vehicle shall be considered to be transferred from the business inventory of the licensed dealer and the dealer shall be considered to be the transferor; or
`(B) a State or local law enforcement agency if the transfer is made in accordance with the procedures provided for in subsection (t) of this section and section 923(g).
`(6) The Attorney General shall establish and maintain, in a timely manner, a record of the make, model, and date of manufacture of any high-powered vehicle which the Attorney General is made aware has been used in relation to a crime under Federal or State law, and the nature and circumstances of the crime involved, including the outcome of relevant criminal investigations and proceedings. The Attorney General shall annually submit the record to the Congress and make the record available to the general public.'.
SEC. 7. STRENGTHENING THE BAN ON THE POSSESSION OR TRANSFER OF A LARGE CAPACITY FUEL-FEEDING DEVICE.
(a) Ban on Transfer of a Street-Racing Vehicle With any modificatons from the stock factory equipment-
(1) IN GENERAL- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after subsection (y) the following:
`(z) It shall be unlawful for any person to transfer a high-powered vehicle with a large capacity fuel feeding device.'.
(2) PENALTIES- Section 924(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:
`(8) Whoever knowingly violates section 922(z) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.'.
(b) Certification Requirement-
(1) IN GENERAL- Section 922(w) of such title, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended--
(A) in paragraph (3)--
(i) by adding `or' at the end of subparagraph (B); and
(ii) by striking subparagraph (C) and redesignating subparagraph (D) as subparagraph (C); and
(B) by striking paragraph (4) and inserting the following:
`(4) It shall be unlawful for a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer who transfers a large capacity fuel feeding device that was manufactured on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection, to fail to certify to the Attorney General before the end of the 60-day period that begins with the date of the transfer, in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Attorney General, that the device was manufactured on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection.'.
(2) PENALTIES- Section 924(a) of such title, as amended by subsection (a)(2) of this section, is amended by adding at the end the following:
`(9) Whoever knowingly violates section 922(w)(4) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.'.
SEC. 8. UNLAWFUL VEHICLE TRANSFERS TO JUVENILES.
Section 922(x) of title 18, United States Code, is amended--
(1) in paragraph (1)--
(A) in subparagraph (B), by striking the period and inserting a semicolon; and
(B) by adding at the end the following:
`(C) a high-powered vehicle; or
`(D) a large capacity fuel feeding device.'; and
(2) in paragraph (2)--
(A) in subparagraph (B), by striking the period and inserting a semicolon; and
(B) by adding at the end the following:
`(C) a high-powered vehicle; or
`(D) a large capacity fuel feeding device.'.
SEC. 9. BAN ON IMPORTATION OF LARGE CAPACITY FUEL FEEDING DEVICE.
(a) In General- Section 922(w) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended--
(1) in paragraph (1), by striking `(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2)' and inserting `(1)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B)';
(2) in paragraph (2), by striking `(2) Paragraph (1)' and inserting `(B) Subparagraph (A)'; and
(3) by inserting before paragraph (3) the following:
`(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to import or bring into the United States a large capacity fuel feeding device.'.
(b) Conforming Amendment- Section 921(a)(31)(A) of such title, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended by striking `manufactured after the date of enactment of the High-Powered Vehicle Control and Law Enforcement Act'.

Well they didn't mention "Regal T" so maybe I'm safe? :rolleyes:

I highly doubt this is a real bill... it says motorcycles over 200cc's that includes mopeds haha!? Having more than 5 gallon capacity? No more than 150 break horsepower? This has to be a joke or something.

`(ii) GM Sierra, Silverado, Avalance;
`(iii) Dodge Ram, Jeep;
`(iv) Toyota Tundra, Tacoma; or
`(v) Nissan Titan.
`(C) The following SUVs or copies, replicas or duplicates thereof:
`(i) Hummer;
`(ii) Ford Expedition or Excursion;
`(iii) GM Suburban;

great, now everyone in my state of west virginia is going to be unable to drive.
wtf are they thinking. next idea will ban cars that consume any kind of energy. lets just all ride bikes... but they YOU consume food... which is a form of energy... so thats not allowed either

thats kinda cool the buicks are number 3 on the list though haha

since this makes cars high powered right?
`(iii) a rear spoiler that stands above the rear bodywork or sheet metal;
`(iv) a custom body kit or shroud;

I highly doubt this is a real bill... it says motorcycles over 200cc's that includes mopeds haha!?

Most mopeds are only 49 cc. I believe this is just a hoax. Surely they don't plan to ban all vehicles except for Amish buggies.

Its those democratic ball suckers who are going to try and take everything from you and me. F-it, im driving a honda and wont street race....

What ever, thats some bogus bill that if it makes it anywhere, will have to do with emissions
BW

Correct me if I am wrong looks like a line . . .

Are you not in the 110th Congress right now?

Later AJ

Quoted from BTTM at ls1tech forums:

Everyone this bill is fake. First, there isn't a 115th Congress. The current Congress is the 110th. The 115th Congress won't sit until 2017-2018; plenty of time to get the Democrats out of office!

Second, if you do a search of the Library of Congress, HR 10200 IH doesn't exist.

Third, the House of Representatives' website reports that Congress wasn't in session when this bill was supposedly introduced.

Done.

THE BS FLAG IS FLYING HIGH! This is the most ridiculous thing i ever heard. How many thousands of jobs would be lost if this ever haappened. Total BULL CHIT!

What tools... Take a man's hot rod and you might have a fight:biggrin:

Waste of time.

If they want to stop drag racing then all they need to do is put a real stiff punishment on the act. 5 years in the sh!thouse would keep me from even thinking about street racing. Just a thought.

If they want to stop drag racing then all they need to do is put a real stiff punishment on the act. 5 years in the sh!thouse would keep me from even thinking about street racing. Just a thought.

That would certianly change my mind if I was thinking about it...

Actually that would cause more people to run. (Fight-or-Flight reaction)

Hence cause a even bigger issue to the general population. :eek:

And it would not stop street racing!

It would become a great revenue generator like it has UP HERE . . . :(

Later AJ

If they try to outlaw HP then only "Outlaws" will have HP. Fast cars don't kill people...people driving faster than their abilities kill people. They can have my high powered autos when the pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel. If the govenment takes away all the fast cars then they are the only ones who can drive fast (which is what they want). SORRY I couldn;t help myself!:biggrin:

If they try to outlaw HP then only "Outlaws" will have HP. Fast cars don't kill people...people driving faster than their abilities kill people. They can have my high powered autos when the pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel. If the govenment takes away all the fast cars then they are the only ones who can drive fast (which is what they want). SORRY I couldn;t help myself!:biggrin:

werd.

just saw this
`(iv) the capacity to accept a raised spoiler extending above the rear bodywork

i dont think theres a vehicle in exhistance that doenst have that

x2 on this being a hoax, way to rediculous

There may be a real bill proposed but it will never come to the floor.

There was a senator who for years tried to get a bill before the house and senate requiring all drivers and passengers to wear helmets no matter what vehicle you were in. It never got off the ground.

Mikey

Bill?

But, this stuff was made into law, and has been strictly inforced for many years now.

In France:D .

When they start to outlaw vehicles here in the US it will be gasoline combustion powered vehicles period.... Hopefully not in my lifetime.

hahah

They will get my hot rods right after they get my guns...bullets first.

I didnt see mercedes CL class in there...I guess I can still race the CL 65 AMG...lol