Barrett Jackson Auction?

Tmizunocherry

Been watching last years auction today and the next edition is coming in a couple of weeks. Please feel me in on how or where do these people get there money to purchase these cars and trucks? They spend it like monopoly money.
Plus there has to be some shady cars at this auction too even though they try to get the most history from them. Was just curious and thought some of you guys and gals shed some light on this.

Dont you know all rich people are notoriously cheap!!! Unless its something they really want then all the big dollars come out!!!! Besides where do you think all of the home mortgage scam $ went:rolleyes:

When people (wealthy or not) come together at high-end auctions, it becomes almost a pissing contest to see who can outbid the other guy, or gal. Add to that the fact that almost everyone has a beer or mixed drink in their hand while bidding, and you have the perfect recipie for a bidding war. I'm not knocking any of the participants or the high-end aution houses, it's just human nature.

On this subject under this same category (lobby) check out my New Contest with Prizes involves this very same Barrett-Jackson Auction this month centered around one particular car which could prove your point basically stupid money being paid for a notable stupid car.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

As a wise (and probably rich) man once said:

"It takes money to make money"...but the buyers here have so MUCH money, they can just SPEND money.......

Powerball don't fail me now.....!

People were spending stupid money on cars not worth half what they went for. A 66 Mustang GT that was not a complete resto that the announcers said was okay but not great without matching numbers and all the original underhood engine parts gone went for $32K yet a 15K mile GN went for $20K and a GNX for $70K. The same with 6 cylinder full bodied 60 Chevy's that someon put a big block; Really? I can buy them all day for half that. My son was going nuts and said we have to start buying these things and take them there for these morons to throw money at.
I really need to start doing that. Oooohhh will that put my wifey over the edge.

Mikey

Some of us choose to consider that those who live in areas with high taxation and cost of living make more money, which in turn drives those of us in the hobby already, out of it when they decide they all want what we have here in the sticks and we suddenly can't match their earning power achieved thru stupid high population density. They aren't more talented or they'd build the cars themselves. They aren't smarter or they wouldn't get into silly pissing matches that drive prices out of sight, and they can't possibly enjoy what we have suddenly come to expect is worth stupid money in their retarded 35mph suburban environments either.

the whole thing pisses me off. Now ask me how I really feel.....;)

hello; I watched it for a little while the other day and most want the car for personal reasones. I saw it in a guys look when he bought a 69 mint stock GTO. It was nice with all of the correct factory markings and all that. Then you have the people with money and want a toy. Then you have the collector that have more cars than a parking lot and alot of money who just have them in almost a personal museum.
Whatever the reason it takes some coin and good luck to them. There are some super nice cars.
IBBY

I'm willing to bet that the guys buying lots of high dollar cars (like Ted McIntyre) have no faith in the market right now and are buying these cars as long term investments. They will probably just store them in climate controlled warehouses and you will see them resurface in about 10 years or so. I personally would have done much better with my money buying up future collectibles, cleaning them up, and reselling them a few years later. Instead I get to laugh at my statements I get from my broker.

Probably what's happening is the bidders get into a bidding war, then later learn "oh shit my bank won't finance me for that amount". But BJ still makes it look as if the car went home with a new owner. Just a thought. 95% of what you see on TV is fake anyways. Probably half the bidders in the audience at BJ don't have the cash. LOL I used to think Price Is Right contestants actually took home their won prizes, until I learned most of them can't afford the taxes on them. But they sure know how to "act" excited on camera.

Probably what's happening is the bidders get into a bidding war, then later learn "oh shit my bank won't finance me for that amount". But BJ still makes it look as if the car went home with a new owner. Just a thought. 95% of what you see on TV is fake anyways. Probably half the bidders in the audience at BJ don't have the cash. LOL I used to think Price Is Right contestants actually took home their won prizes, until I learned most of them can't afford the taxes on them. But they sure know how to "act" excited on camera.

I can assure you all the bidders you see at BJ have the means to buy the car they bid on. You have to have a letter from from a bank guaranteeing funding for the amount you are bidding to get a bidder number. I have bought and both sold cars at BJ and this is the way it is.
Most of the people I have met at BJ are well to do and have worked hard to earn the money to buy the cars they do and yes their is the occasional bad apple. Most likely their are others with different stories and experiences. Each and everyone of the people that attend BJ is a individual with a different story and should not be judged as a group.

I can assure you all the bidders you see at BJ have the means to buy the car they bid on. You have to have a letter from from a bank guaranteeing funding for the amount you are bidding to get a bidder number. I have bought and both sold cars at BJ and this is the way it is.
Most of the people I have met at BJ are well to do and have worked hard to earn the money to buy the cars they do and yes their is the occasional bad apple. Most likely their are others with different stories and experiences. Each and everyone of the people that attend BJ is a individual with a different story and should not be judged as a group.

Interesting. What's with the bidders I see on the phone during the auction? Are they bidding for a buddy? Or asking the bank if they can "up" the amount they can buy? Or maybe asking their wives "darling can I bring another car home?" Also what's the advantage of buying/selling on BJ?

The people you see on the phones are not bidders. They are auction reps talking to bidders on the other end of the line.

kidglok said:
And it seems the ones without money always find a way to make people with it seem like crooks.

And when you don't put money back into the system, but keep taking it out of the system makes them saints.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

The people you see on the phones are not bidders. They are auction reps talking to bidders on the other end of the line.

Some of those are reps bidding by proxy for bidders not in attendance. They have quite a few Internet folk monitoring bids from there as well. It's a HUGE operation and it's legit.