Baldwin B253 oil filter

tom h

Like many, I use a Baldwin B9 filter with the RJC Biggie filter adapter, instead of a PF24 filter. The Baldwin B9 has consistently excellent build quality, plus is about 20% larger. Many are already familar with the B9, but here is a comparison pic: http://community.webshots.com/album/36060495QXkyhh
I also use Baldwin equivalents on my daily driver vehicle.

I have researched the possibility of another filter for the TR/GN cars ... the Baldwin B253. The B253's original application is in certain Ferrari & Porsche cars, and Baldwin notes "Can be used in racing applications."

The B253 has some nice improved features over the B9.

1) B253 has a built-in 20 psi bypass valve, B9 does not.
The measly, stock 4-6 psi bypass in the stock oil pump is probably always leaking some oil, bad news if there is a cam or bearing wipe.
So some run a plugged bypass in the stock oil pump. But a plugged bypass in the oil pump risks catastrophic filter element collapse and engine damage if the engine oil is very cold.

2) Both B9 and B253 have anti-drainback valve.

3) Pressure ratings
B9- 100 psi operating pressure with a burst pressure of 200 psi.
B253- 300 psi operating pressure with a burst pressure of 600 psi.
No one is operating this high, but it's an indication of even sturdier build quality on the B253.

4) Size and shape of B9 and B253 are nearly identical, to within a few millimeters.
Critically, same sealing gasket ID and OD is used. B253's gasket is 1/16" thicker, probably not a concern.

5) Thread sizes are a key difference, and prevent a direct substitution.
B9 is 13/16-16.
B253 is 3/4-16. (1/16" smaller ID).

6) As an incidental bonus, the B253 fits the Permacool # 5021 remote transmission filter mount (1/4" NPT inlet and outlet ports, and 1/8" NPT port for oil temperature). One could use the same filter for both engine oil and as an external tranny filter.

I have contacted RJC racing (Biggie adapter manufacturer), and time permitting, Jason may attempt fabricating a B253 adapter as a trial, in the near future.

Great info! I've been running the Baldwins on my GN's for a little over 5 years now.

Excelent info. Whats it say about the B279 and the B7? Ive been useing Baldwin since I saw a 5 filter cut away about 15 yrs ago at ANS. The Baldwin had like twice the media if not more and a better construction. The other filters were a Wix, Fram, Delco, and ? Not the Fram or Delco are on the top of my list, but Wix or Napa that was there is good, but the baldwin is better IMO. Been runnin Baldwin since then.
I run a B7 2 quart filter on the camaro, but that gets changed every other weekend :D

I buy mine from a Truck Parts place(heavy duty)
Truck Pro
Fleet Pride
International Truck
Ebay
or do a Google search
FRED

Well, eventually RJC Racing did not have the inclination to make yet another variant of the Biggie filter adapter.

So I took a standard Biggie and had the male thread machined down to 3/4"-16, now it fits the Baldwin B253 filter :)
See my original post #1 as to why I think the B253 is a good filter, especially with a plugged bypass.

Pics below.

Attachments

• Baldwin B253 + modified Biggie Adapter (1) lowres.jpg
    Baldwin B253 + modified Biggie Adapter (1) lowres.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 376
  • Baldwin B253 B9 compare lowres.jpg
    Baldwin B253 B9 compare lowres.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 391
I'm glad you showed the picture of the B9 and B253 side by side. I now know that sticking with the B9 was the right choice for me. B9. Center hole larger, parimeter holes more plentiful and larger. To me that means the B9 has superior flow capabilities.

Dave,
Through either filter, I think one could get a "fire hose" flow! Difference between 3/4" and 13/16" is fairly negligible.

re perimeter holes, both filters have same # of holes (8) and hole diameter (approx 9/32") ... it just doesn't show well in my side-view pic.

I'll try to shoot an end-view comparison pic later today ...

Dave,
Through either filter, I think one could get a "fire hose" flow! Difference between 3/4" and 13/16" is fairly negligible.

re perimeter holes, both filters have same # of holes (8) and hole diameter (approx 9/32") ... it just doesn't show well in my side-view pic.

I'll try to shoot an end-view comparison pic later today ...

Thanks.

Dave,

Since you machined down a standard biggie adapter, the difference between the 3/4 vs 13/16 would be zero since the hole on the inside of the biggie adaptor determines the flow through the center hole in the filter.

David

D'oh! Good point & obvious-in-retrospect. The stock Buick oiling system probably has far more problematic restrictions & limitations than this relatively large straight-through hole.

hey guys, I dont have the cooler adapter attached anymore, so no rjc piece either. I am not sure if the thread now is the same as the bigge?? I would like to buy the baldwin as well.

thanks
Ralph

Ralph,

Original, standard thread on the engine's filter adpater is M18-1.5.
A Baldwin B35-S is a direct, and IMHO, superior replacement to the stock PF52 filter.

The normal Biggie adapter is threaded 13/16"-16. This fits PF24 style filters. The Baldwin B9 is about 20% larger , and IMHO superior all-around.

Finally, my modification above re-threaded the male end of a standard Biggie adapter to 3/4"-16, to fit the Baldwin B253 filter.

Ralph,

Original, standard thread on the engine's filter adpater is M18-1.5.
A Baldwin B35-S is a direct, and IMHO, superior replacement to the stock PF52 filter.

For sure!!!! Run this one on my 87

The normal Biggie adapter is threaded 13/16"-16. This fits PF24 style filters. The Baldwin B9 is about 20% larger , and IMHO superior all-around.

For sure!!!! Run this one on my 86

Finally, my modification above re-threaded the male end of a standard Biggie adapter to 3/4"-16, to fit the Baldwin B253 filter.

thanks guys, so with my cooler and adapter off I can run a B35-S? i dont like the Fram race filters, I dotn trust them!