balance

87action

A work in progress
Is it neccessary to run a heavy duty flexplate(the wheel) and bhj balancer on a high end motor or will the stock appearing sfi approved one work. Is this an rpm related issue or what. Don't want to spend more money if not exactly needed. Engine(new combo) will turn 7000 no problem.

A Buick V-6 engine built right to last at over 7000 RPM will cost over $10,000, maybe $15,000. So this is not a "low budget" build.

To worry about spending a couple hundred $$$ more for the best flexplate and balancer is not the best plan. If you run it to 7000 RPM, then the rev limit must be set at 7500 or 8000 RPM. :confused:

I do not know anyone that has built, or run, an engine like this that would NOT use the best available parts. :)

Not to say ANY BIG TIME CLASSIC NAMES, but you would be SURPRISED what people do to build sleeeeeper street cars. I think I will just keep saving for the bhj and jw wheel and then rebalance the rotating assembly for the second time. This is an internal balanced assembly and the forged bms crank is full up of mallory metal. thanks for the reply

If your engine is internally balanced, the flywheel and harmonic dampner ought to be neutrally balanced (perfectly balanced by themselves). Changing parts is not a problem on an engine balanced this way. You should not need to have the crank re-spun.

You can always have any new part spun and checked to see that they are properly balanced.

I never liked the traditional JW "Wheel" due to the incredibly heavy weight.

I think they make a lighter version of it though with holes cut in it...

I just put a $59 SFI flexplate on my car because in my opinion, it's primary purpose is to connect the crankshaft to the converter.

As far as balancers are concerned... I'm not positive, but I believe the BHJ unit actually works as a vibration damper, (using an elastomer ring) whereas the stock replacement unit is just a hub to mount a pulley on.

Can someone verify this ? as I'm about to buy one soon too. ;)

Edit to add:
Looks like I am correct... the BHJ balancer is a much better unit and uses an elastomer vibration damper.
Now... if they made these out of lightweight aluminum, it would be the cat's whiskers. :D

Our SFI approved balancers are of the Encapsulated Elastomer type and are specifically made for Buick engines, not retrofitted Chevy balancers. Our balancers fit like originals and use original type pulleys, while giving you the security of a high performance balancer that can handle the most severe combinations. Our Turbo V6 balancers incorporate the crank sensor ring for proper triggering. Most are available as original type External balance or as Internal balance for higher end combinations.
TA%20V2027A.jpg

This is the stock replacement with no elastomer ring or dampening ability:
TA_V2026.jpg

Just have the balancer and flexplate checked for zero balance. The rest of the rotating assembly will be fine.
Use a proper damper and protect the investment you have in that engine.
JW does make a lightened version of The Wheel for the Buick V6. I highly recommend it.

Also, use ARP flexplate bolts and tighten them to a torque value dictated by the size and grade of the bolt. I add 5 to it.
OEM bolts at factory torque values will loosen up on you.

if using the BHJ balancer

place a center punch mark on the inner and outer rings, ( on the face)
Was up to Duttweiler's, he has seen alot of them moving .020 to .060 after running. which alters timing.

place a center punch mark on the inner and outer rings, ( on the face)
Was up to Duttweiler's, he has seen alot of them moving .020 to .060 after running. which alters timing.
This would change how the operator observes the timing to be. The actual ignition timing would only change if the sensor ring on the hub changed position. But still, that's a very good point. It would be important to be able to realize how the timing mark has changed position on you to keep you from freaking.

bhj

so you are saying that Kenny has seen the balancer's inertia ring actually spin a c-hair while after being run? Now that sounds like a good investment for $500! Thanks for the good info, I guess I'll be purchasing it anyway?

what else is there?

so you are saying that Kenny has seen the balancer's inertia ring actually spin a c-hair while after being run? Now that sounds like a good investment for $500! Thanks for the good info, I guess I'll be purchasing it anyway?

Some, not all!
thats why place punch marks, to see IF it moves.