Bailey 2 step, intake backfires

trashmechlv

Got 2 step installed and went out to try today. Engine starts backfiring in intake when activates. It did clear up once and worked ok. Other times when it backfired in intake it lost boost and rpms. Could it be the TT 6.1 chip trying to correct afr? Any idea thanks. Car runs great otherwise with no miss or problems when driving.

Last edited:
When i really started kicking the two step rpm up on my sbc blow thru car, it started doing that. I had to add fuel. Popping from the intake is typically caused by either low timing(usually just at tip in) or not enough fuel.

Got 2 step installed and went out to try today. Engine starts backfiring in intake when activates. It did clear up once and worked ok. Other times when it backfired in intake it lost boost and rpms. Could it be the TT 6.1 chip trying to correct afr? Any idea thanks. Car runs great otherwise with no miss or problems when driving.

Got a log of it on the 2 step

The A/F correction should NOT be on while the two step is on. This will cause backfires/popping through the intake.

Im having trouble trying to upload PL file now. I did post on TT forum with PL file and Eric gave me some things to check and try. Im not sure how to turn correction off during 2 step than have correction on after launching car.

I'm not sure about using just the 2 step, but with the TR6 ignition (which has a 2 step) you apply power to D11 at ECM during 2 step activation to turn off correction. So you run a wire from the button to D11. Like I said, not sure if this is the same for just the 2 Step.

I went back and dug through a few logs and maybe the boost was low and RPM but the chip wasn't in correction on the 2-step.

Just to update I sent some PL logs to Eric at TT and he made some corrections to my 6.1 chip and now popping in intake is gone. His customer support is great!

I bet huntsg is right . Did u tap into your ecm at all ?

I bet huntsg is right . Did u tap into your ecm at all ?
I wired the 2 step in per the instruction book. Cant remember what wires it tapped into without getting book out. I dont have the TR6 ign just the 2 step box. Im not sure what corrections Eric did to my chip but it took care of the popping without me having to change things on my end.