Rachelreed

Wondering opinions on this.
c282a7cfd3f85b656346b5539ccf83f6.jpg
80f2fee732c5de33b31dc5c3e39c07b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting that you have a different style piston on the middle cylinder there

That’s the flash from the camera. I thought the same and checked

Wait... now I see... it’s not impressioned it just has those markings? Not sure why but it’s the same piston

is this a stock setup ?? please present more info for the engine/combo build, miles ETC. , for the gurus to give you advice , what opinions are you looking for ???
you've gotten this far probably worth a hot tank , magna flux and rebuild

It’s a stock 22000 mile motor that was having a lot of smoke from the exhaust. Was told it was headgaskets even tho it wasn’t running hot... my question is if the gasket above #4 appears to be blown

white smoke will indicate a blown head gasket most of the time or a cracked block or damaged head , and grey or blueish smoke will indicate burning of oil usually from bad rings , hopefully a more seasoned engine builder will chime in .

It’s a stock 22000 mile motor that was having a lot of smoke from the exhaust. Was told it was headgaskets even tho it wasn’t running hot... my question is if the gasket above #4 appears to be blown

No it does not look blown

Do you have the turbo off the motor? Take a look at exhaust side. Is the turbine wet or is it wet inside the exhaust inlet? That's the part that bolts to the header.

Last edited:
Bummer... I guess we’re back to square 1... this thing is blowing white smoke like crazy... if it isn’t turbo, injectors, rings, pistons, or heads.... what can it be?

So many variables with these engines. It can be many different things causing the smoke. At this point you will only get speculation from people on the net. This is something that needs to be diagnosed before the engine is torn apart.

Sure it's not 122K miles? That block looks like it's been though a flood.

"Bummer... I guess we’re back to square 1... this thing is blowing white smoke like crazy... if it isn’t turbo, injectors, rings, pistons, or heads.... what can it be?"
Without some preliminary tests, before you pulled it apart, it's mostly speculation.
My$.02
#2 looks to be somewhat "steam cleaned" compared to the others.
Looks like a lot of oil on the others.
PCV?
Ring seal?
Turbo seals?
Valve guides?
Intake gasket?
If you have the plugs you took out, some good pics might help.
What do the chambers look like?

I'm w/ Pronto on this one. If this is a "real" 22K engine, it sure doesn't look like it.
Did you do the rebuild, is it an original low mile car, do you know for sure, or was it some :poop:, that the person you got the car from, tell you?

Botton line: As mentioned, time to pull it, and take a look at the rest of the parts.

"Bummer... I guess we’re back to square 1... this thing is blowing white smoke like crazy... if it isn’t turbo, injectors, rings, pistons, or heads.... what can it be?"
Without some preliminary tests, before you pulled it apart, it's mostly speculation.
My$.02
#2 looks to be somewhat "steam cleaned" compared to the others.
Looks like a lot of oil on the others.
PCV?
Ring seal?
Turbo seals?
Valve guides?
Intake gasket?
If you have the plugs you took out, some good pics might help.
What do the chambers look like?

I'm w/ Pronto on this one. If this is a "real" 22K engine, it sure doesn't look like it.
Did you do the rebuild, is it an original low mile car, do you know for sure, or was it some :poop:, that the person you got the car from, tell you?

Botton line: As mentioned, time to pull it, and take a look at the rest of the parts.

The car is a verified 22k mile car. There is more to that being that it sat since 97 in a barn not very well kept. It had mice and other unwelcome guests... I did do a compression test which showed 135 on all cylinders. The pcv valve had a rattle to it (it wasn’t a great rattle) but I definitely didn’t think it would make the car blow that kind of smoke? Wouldn’t the compression test rule out pistons and rings? The turbo is a known good one off of another car here. It is also the 3rd one to be sure[emoji2356] intake gasket was also changed as we thought that may be the issue... I will pull the plugs after work and post pics. When we last had the plugs out they had a ton of carbon build up and were dry

Too late now, just pull the pan and check the bearings. They might be not great. It's been my experience that any car that's sat somewhere unused and not kept well was put there because something bad was wrong. Engine, trans, electrical you name it. Next time and critters take it's toll.

The pcv valve had a rattle to it (it wasn’t a great rattle) but I definitely didn’t think it would make the car blow that kind of smoke?
A PCV should work like "On or off". "Almost seals" is not an option. Kind of like being pregnant: Either you are, or aren't. No middle ground!
Inside of the intake coated w/ oil?