Backfire

RICER X

Hey guys.
Went up to start my car. I usually fire it up 3 or 4 times a winter. Stock motor and it was about 30 degrees. Is there any cause for alarm. It has done this before but each time it has it was cold and I have found no damage. So far. Any ideas?

Leaking injector on shut down. Wasted spark ignites the fuel on start up.

My thought.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It's a good possibility, it's the original injectors, and maybe that also could be the reason it smells so rich at start up. I burns your eyes. Thanks

Why do you start it during its winter storage? Unless you actually drive it on the highway for 20/30 minutes, its not completely warming up, all your doing is creating condensation in the oil, and exhaust. Your doing more harm than good. When storing mine for the winter I drive it until its hot then put it away, and that's it till spring.

My old service manager used to say this about starting a car in storage.

"Its like going to the bank, withdrawaling a dollar and not putting anything back in"

Each start removes far more from your battery than idleing will ever replace. 10 minutes of driving or a battery tender.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Why do you start it during its winter storage? Unless you actually drive it on the highway for 20/30 minutes, its not completely warming up, all your doing is creating condensation in the oil, and exhaust. Your doing more harm than good. When storing mine for the winter I drive it until its hot then put it away, and that's it till spring.
I wasn't aware of that. Is this the case even when i let it come up to temp. I usually let them run for approx. 20 min. And where I store it at I really don't even have the option to drive it usually until mid march. This year who knows.

I wasn't aware of that. Is this the case even when i let it come up to temp. I usually let them run for approx. 20 min. And where I store it at I really don't even have the option to drive it usually until mid march. This year who knows.
20 min idling is nothing. the exhaust system is actually still cool, (except for the manifolds) and the engine oil is cool also. Just leave it till mid March.

20 min idling is nothing. the exhaust system is actually still cool, (except for the manifolds) and the engine oil is cool also. Just leave it till mid March.

hmmm... I idle mine for 20-30 minutes monthly during the winter and the oil pressure drops to what I would consider hot pressure (25-35 psi)
thanks
Jim

The engine under a load (driving) is what heats the oil up, it will get warm a bit idling, but not hot.