Attn: Computer Worm Alert

This bugger got my wife's laptop. Still gotta download the patch, etc. But it looks like my own laptop is immune because it runs the "Me" software package. One of the few good things about that system, I guess!

What I don't understand is that if the virus keeps shutting down the computer, how do you manage to download the repair file, especially since it's pretty damn big and I'm on a dialup connection? :confused:

Originally posted by Matt Weiser
This bugger got my wife's laptop. Still gotta download the patch, etc. But it looks like my own laptop is immune because it runs the "Me" software package. One of the few good things about that system, I guess!

What I don't understand is that if the virus keeps shutting down the computer, how do you manage to download the repair file, especially since it's pretty damn big and I'm on a dialup connection? :confused:

If it's XP, right-click on your interent connection icon, and enable the XP firewall..

Then you can stay online long enough to d/l the patch.

Mine shut down the fastest when I was emailing, for some reason. Other than that, I did have to try a couple of times before I got the whole download (I'm on dial up at work). I saved it rather than just opening it, which helped. Took 2-3 tries before it happened to stay up long enough.

FROM MICROSOFT WEBSITE

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Services Edition
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Server™ 2003

Not Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
============================================

HTH

I downloaded the XP patch and when I try to install. I keep getting a message asking me to check to see if Cryptographic service is running. I cannot seem to be able to find this on my computer. I use XP Pro.
Can anyone tell me what to do?
Thanks,
Bob

You mean there is actually a benefit for running Windows ME?:D According to Microsoft it is unaffected. No mention that I saw of Wndows 95 or 98.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
You mean there is actually a benefit for running Windows ME?:D According to Microsoft it is unaffected. No mention that I saw of Wndows 95 or 98.

Well you can say the virus doesn't cause it to crash, thats because that is a built in function of win ME.........LOL

GN One Day

If you uninstall Norton Antivirus and reinstall it, you will have another year to use it and get updates. Just make sure you don't enter a previous registration code as that is how it determines when it expires. HTH

i just did a file search in winxp, for msblast.exe and accociated files and deleted them, same thing with that tftp crap. i installed the patch and havent gotten anything yet...

i dealed with this virus this morning, i am a PC technician, on windows XP you simple hit control/alt/del and get the systems manager, then hit processes, find msblast.exe and end the its process, you also right click on your computer find and disable your recovery system something something i forgot, this will allow you to download the update patch from microsoft, download and install, then download and update your virus software and do a complete scan on your PC, find the bugger delete it and your done, you also have to remove it from you registry , for this you go to /start/run then type regedit the click on the + sign of Hkey_local_machine then,software/microsoft/windows/current version/run, once this is done look to the right and find the line that list (microsoft update msblast.exe) , highlight and delete, reboot and your done. hope this helps.

Originally posted by 1badTTA
GN One Day

If you uninstall Norton Antivirus and reinstall it, you will have another year to use it and get updates. Just make sure you don't enter a previous registration code as that is how it determines when it expires. HTH [/B]

Yeah, I've been done that. This was Nortons 2002. It's let me do that before a couple of times, but when I completely reformatted the drive a month ago and reloaded everything, it cut me off at July 14, or something like that. It was telling me daily :mad: that I needed to renew. I guess they have a cutoff date for older versions??

I'd seriously consider a Mac if I could run my software on it.

wheres the file?

I cant find that darn file anywhere. I keep getting kicked off at&t everycolp of minutes> I read an article in the paper ( News journal) on how to fix it, and i tried. It just kept shutting down. My computer is brand new, only three weeks old. This is making me mad. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Re: wheres the file?

Originally posted by scojack_2001
I cant find that darn file anywhere. I keep getting kicked off at&t everycolp of minutes> I read an article in the paper ( News journal) on how to fix it, and i tried. It just kept shutting down. My computer is brand new, only three weeks old. This is making me mad. :mad: :mad: :mad:

If you are running XP, see the post above on how to enable the WinXP Firewall until you can get the patch and the removal tool as also indicated above.

Well, we were able to download the patch and get my wife's laptop working again. Do I still need to go through everything and delete any "blaster" files, like Wicked87 said, or does the patch do that automatically?

Also, all the screen fonts are now messed up on the computer. They all look kinda scrambled and are hard to read in every program. and they even print out this way. :mad: Anybody else get this? How to fix?

Many thanks for everyone's help! :)

Apply the patch, then go to Symantec's website and follow the detailed removal instructions, as linked above.

Ok, guys. I wasn't able to figure out how to enable the XP firewall, but I got the patch downloaded. I ran that and then dounloaded the removal tool from symantec. The virus didn't get into my computer, but I still had the problem. I'm hoping I got it fixed. I am by no means a computer genius.

Scott

Thanks for the info

SuperSix ,

Great info... fixed the worm last night by following your instructions. One question - when you are done, do you have to turn the firewall back off in Win XP?

Thanks for the help.

Alan

:D

Re: Thanks for the info

Originally posted by AlanJ
SuperSix ,

Great info... fixed the worm last night by following your instructions. One question - when you are done, do you have to turn the firewall back off in Win XP?

Thanks for the help.

Alan

:D

I suppose, if it's not causing any problems - leave it on. There's a help file on Ithe firewall I *think* on the same page you enable/disable it, might be a good read.

More info: http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/home/using/howto/homenet/icf.asp