ATR Vs. Hooker exhaust

progress1vebmx

Asian man #1
I have some Flowcrappers on right now and I am upgrading my turbo, downpipe etc.... Anyways, Red Armstrong and a few others rec. the ATR 2.5" exhaust, but I am on a budget and like to save a little money. I know the Hooker is about 300$ cheaper... what makes the ATR exhaust so much more?

I want an exhaust that is really quiet too...nothing like an ATR Singleshot =D.

edit - How do the Aerochambers compare to the Ultraflows?

I like my ATR 2.5" SS dual exhaust, quiet too! Best part of it, I will never ever have to buy another exhaust system unless I want something different. Unlike the Hooker, you will need to replace it after 3-5 years. Give or take a few from what I've read.

Dannyo

one is stainless the other aluminum . stainless will out last the aluminum . stainless will be quieter but will weight more then the aluminum depends where you live winter climatyes and salt you would want the stainless warmer climates (florida) the aluminum should last a long time aluminized mufflers will be louder then stainless mufflers

edit - How do the Aerochambers compare to the Ultraflows?

The aerochambers flow 440 cfm. The Hooker Maxflows, which are a straight through design identical to the Ultraflows, flow 595 cfm. A straight pipe flowed 600 cfm. The UF's are stainless, the MF's are not.

FWIW I installed the aluminized steel Hooker on my car back in 1997 and it is still in good shape. North Caroline weather isn't that bad on them. The aluminized coating does make them last longer.
In 1991 I installed the Hooker exhaust( just mild steel then) and it lasted about 4-5 years, living in northern CA.

Gary

Originally posted by charlloots
one is stainless the other aluminum .

Actually the Hooker system is ALUMINIZED steel NOT actually aluminum. I am very happy with that system on my GN. I painted the pipes with a high temp black paint and they are holding up just fine. There are some pics of my exhaust on this page of my GN site http://buickgn.com/exhaust.htm

If you have the $$$ go for the ATR system but if you are on a budget you can't go wrong with the Hooker system.

IMO Buy and buy once.Bruce at Aggressive has the 3 in ATR ss single shot for $359.00. Save a little longer and buy the best.Not saying Hooker isnt good but ATR is the BEST IMO.

Yeah... a single shot exhaust is by far the most annoying exhaust I have ever heard =/. I'd go for a single shot but the drone is bad..

I like the sound of my hooker exhaust, but I would like to try one of the ATRs sometime.

Yeah, the ATR probably will last forever and so will the drone. Either the 2 1/2" duel or 3" single shot. I've had the duel system and wouldn't give you 2 dollars for it. Well aaaah yeah, and then sell it to some sucker.

DRone...shmone !!!

The stock exhaust had a slight drone...Alll exhaust system that are anything and free up some power will. I have the ATR 3 crossflow on mine and no bad drone,......now does it sound different ...yeah.

and blew off his Hooker mufflers! Reason too much flow. Nothing flows more than an ATR Muffler

Must've been Comps or Super Comps.

Pitbulls, Walker Ultraflows and Hooker MaxFlows are all of nearly identical design; straight-through perforated-tube construction. Pitbulls have slots whereas the other 2 have round holes for the perforations.

MPEG Videos - ATR 2 1/2" SS Dual Exhaust

Well, finally after hearing all the requests for what to do about exhaust, I have placed several mpeg videos on the web.

They are located near the bottom.

After 13 years the ATR logo is still there, located on the photo just below the mpeg videos.

NOTE: videos are on gnregistry.org but located on my personal page here
http://www.gnregistry.org/bw1987gn.htm

Here is the link:
ATR 2 1/2" SS Dual Exhaust MPEG Video

The videos are very short - 30 - 40 seconds, 2-3MB each.
Direct Link here
ATR Exhaust #1

ATR Exhaust with windows down and then about 20 seconds into video, windows are rolled up

Later
Brett
BGN00001A

http://www.gnregistry.org
www.gnregistry.com
www.gnxregistry.com

Welll... I have duttweiler ported big valve iron heads, duttweiler fmic.. but I am getting rid of my old stage 4 cheetah/hooker headers/2.5 turbonetics dp/flowcrappers to...

te-45a, 3" thdp, exhaust ???, stock headers...

Buy the Hooker exhaust, spray it w/ high temp paint, and purchase you a set of Hooker Maxflow mufflers to go w/ it.
Sell the brand new aerochambers that come w/ the system.

This should run you around $400 total. (Before you sell the Aerochambers.)

The Maxflows aren't very loud at all, and this system fitted w/ them will flow just as good as the allmighty ATR 2.5" system.

W/ the high temp coating, it should last 10+ years.

I have had the Hooker system on my car now over 4 years w/ no coating in the Southeast Texas humidity. It's still in real good shape.

Save your money.

Ross

ILBCNU6,

I have to disagree with you about whether you can have flow and sound reduction. When my car ran 11.7's with a te44 years ago I ran three runs uncapped and four runs capped within 3 hours at night with no change in weather conditions during that time. If I still had the time slips I would defy you to tell me which ones were capped or uncapped runs. I ran through the same three mufflers I do today. I took the dump out after those runs. There was no point in having it.

My car is so quiet that on the freeway the normal road noise and wind noise drown out the exhaust noise. There is no drone at any speed.

Today the car will run mid 10's at 128mph. I could explain all the mods but with a PT54 and 3500 lb car with driver, I don't think I would gain much with a dump. I ran a LT1 3" maf and just put the LS6 3 1/2" maf on and hope to crack 130mph on pump gas and methanol this year through three mufflers.

The only downside is it wasn't cheap, and of course, it adds weight to have three mufflers. It flows good enough and I like quiet. I would say my system costs about three times what the hooker system costs. Is it worth it? I don't know, but mine is all stainless and will last forever.

My stage 2 car has the same type three muffler system on it and with a PT74 it has gone 9.45 at 143.8 and it's quiet too. You can't hear either of these cars go down the track.

I had regular crap steel exhaust systems like the Hooker and they rot out in as few as 5 years here in Chicago. My motto, do it once, do it right, and be done with it. I now have ATR systems on all my cars and would NEVER even consider going back to alumicrap steel. Plus no one here is even considering the time involved. Aside from having to pay for a new alumicrap system every so often you have to reinstall or pay someone to reinstall. Buy 2 Hooker systems and you could have had an ATR system. By now I would have gone through at least 6 systems on my cars. Every year I own these cars the ATR systems just becomes a better value. Plus it looks and sounds alot better.