Ate them up at the autocross. (video)

BM Computer Src

I ran my TTA at the autocross here in Tampa last weekend. I had a great time and turned in excellent results.

The fastest car in my class was a new Porche. He ran 48.950 seconds (1 lap).

My best time was 49.350 seconds. My TTA has 50K miles and all original suspension. I think with some new shocks, springs, and good sticky tires it will really turn some heads. :)

Here is the video, enjoy! :)

http://www.bmcomputersource.com/BobautoxJuly503.mpg

Bob

Nice runs you improved a lot from your first to last run!:)

I bet people kept going "Why is that GTA making that weird ppbbbbttt noise??" That looks like alot of fun...what's the cost/requirements for something like that?

Who made the video and with what, 8mm digital? I'd like to be able to edit and put titles and such on stuff too but don't know how to yet.

Thanks for the post, good watching.

Wako, your right. A few did come over and had to see the turbo for themselves out of disbelief. Most knew the car, I was shocked!

The cost was $30, or $20 if you are a member of the SCCA, which costs $50 for a year and you get a free autocross. I used my VHS-C camcorder which is not quite as good as an 8mm. My computer I use a video capture card and put it all on in seperate videos and assemble them, put titles and music on with software called Intervideo Winproducer.

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/Home.jsp

Cost was $70 if I recall, and is the most easy to use I have found.

Bob

I've been thinking of doing some of that type of racing with my TTA. What type of tires are best for that?

Originally posted by Captain Mark
I've been thinking of doing some of that type of racing with my TTA. What type of tires are best for that?

A lot of guys are running Kuhmo Victorracers for the track only. Equipe Rapide runs an autocross in the DFW area once a month during the summer. 3rd gen F-bodies can be damn quick. Multi national champ mark maderesh was running an '88 TA and I saw him get the overall low time of the day (factored) with it multiple times.

One of these days I'll get a TTA...

89 TTA finished first place at the Natonal SCCA event in Topeka Kansas last year in F-Stock. This is ahead of all the LS1/LT1/Corbra/Muscle car type cars. The GN is in F-stock, thats what you would be racing against if you wanted to be competative.

:cool:

I race my Lightning in my first Auto X a few month back and its a BLAST. I have another one scheduled for Aug 2nd. I can't wait.

To learn more about autocross, check out this site by the SCCA San Francisco Region, which has one of the best-organized programs in the country:

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/index.html

Lots of good how-to stuff here. Be sure and check out the FAQ and "Your First Event" pages for good info and links. I used to run with them in another car until I moved, and now I'm hours from the nearest auto-x events. :(

Autocross is really a gas and always a great crowd with lots of good hardware to check out. People drive everything, from new pickups to old minivans, so don't be afraid to take a GN!