ASC McClaren Sticker in a GN?

Torque2

I picked up an '87 GN from the original owner who bought it in California.
It has a "Modified by ASC McClaren" sticker inside the driver's door with a date of 09/87. Why would one of these be on a GN? What might have been modified? I'm familiar with some of the GNX mods, but I'm guessing it is something different.
Any thoughts?
Tim

does it have a non factory moonroof , sunroof or tttops , if so asc probably did it

Pic

Please post up a picture.....;)

Possibly just an added on repro sticker?

I have one in my glovebox from where they did the sunroof...

Info

Hope this helps....:smile:

Attachments

• sticker.jpg
    sticker.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 716
It looks original to me. I can't imagine this guy would have done a repro sticker. This car was BONE stock when I bought it. His wife put all the miles on it as a real estate agent!

Attachments

• Photo 16.jpg
    Photo 16.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 687
  • Photo 15.jpg
    Photo 15.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 684
A buddy of mine once had a 91 grand prix that had a similar sticker in the door jamb and we never could figure out what had been done. I assumed the door had been changed due to an accident or something. it didn't have a sunroof or any visible mods. Maybe X-ray could enlighten us as to ALL the things asc offered through the years. This car did have a pretty good aftermarket stereo in it.....

Is there a legible VIN on that door? Maybe someone changed the door from an asc ttop car or something.

That would be pretty wild if somehow a door from a wrecked GNX wound up on your GN somehow! That's about the only way it could have got on there I would think. Is the car's vin anywhere visible on the other sticker on the door?

kirban 2 cents worth

While advise above is good and sticker looks legit...next step I suggest is post the trunk ID label block out your VIn at the top be curious to see how it reads.

ASC did mostly tops....they were involved in other projects example olds touring sedans could also possibly have that label....certain mustangs....

With no roof mods think someone just got a label and stuck it on? tough call without seeing trunk ID label and possibly labels by AC/heater and engine shot....

Just my thoughts...

kirbanperformance.com

dennskirban@yahoo.com

It wouldn't have to be an x it could have been an asc sunroof or ttop car that donated the door.

I seen one of those stickers on e-bay sell for $20. I thought about buying it so when I convert my GN to an Aerocoupe I'd play around with some people saying it was "one of those rare prototypes" that got out to the public.:D Damn...that's a good idea...I'm off searching on e-bay again...:p

The VIN on the door sticker is the same as the dash and trunk. It's about the only thing I can still decipher on the sticker. I will post the trunk rpos in the morning. A door from a GNX is about all I could afford right now, so that would make sense.

Could it be a sticker that some how made it to the regular production line and got stuck on there as one of the many factory mistakes found on production cars?

BTW, McLaren also did the modifications on the Grand Prix Turbos that came out in the late 80's early 90's.

Here is the trunk sticker. Let me know if there is anything you can't read.

Attachments

• Photo 19.jpg
    Photo 19.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 472
Are you sure you don't actually HAVE a GNX ? :D

What's the rear suspension look like ? :cool: