Anyone with a 2004 Ford F350 FX4 Dually?

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
I am looking at a 2004 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 Dually crew cab and would like to get some input on how you liked or disliked this truck. It has the 6.0 powerstroke engine. I know they aren't what the older 7.0's were but how are these overall..

I'm looking for something to pull my car and supplies to tracks.

80,000 mi
One owner
66 yr old man owns it
Has the extended warranty still
Goose neck hich
Exellent cond.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

SW.

Put $4K aside for headgaskets and injectors if you buy that:eek:

I have an 06 and love it. I agreee with Shane if your looking at programmers exhaust and the like you are going to need to do the head studs. If you leave it stock it is fine and is warrantied to 100K. Mine pulls my car trailer better than any other truck I have had.
Mike

I could be wrong, but I think Mike might be have the idea. Leave it stock and you should be OK. Start putting programmers, etc. and it'll cost$$ in broken parts.
It's hard to tell from the picture, is that a Larriet(sic)?

Guys I watched 2 of them bought brand new and were STOCK...

Just a tap, literally, over the 100K the fuel inj's went bad and blowed the headgasket... Not 2 months later the 2nd one he bought brand new did the same thing at about 120K!!!

Between the two at the Ford dealerships he spend 11K getting them back running:eek: The first one they put injs on one side and headgaskets on both... Just a few days later the other said quit and they busted him again for headgaskets:mad: I even called someone that is a ford service manager, we all used to know him;) and he said that was right on par:eek:

Again both were STOCK!!!

I will not buy one of these trucks for my lot.. I will buy the 7.3's all day long... After they stopped them it is all Duramax:biggrin:

Yes this is the Lariat!

See I have this older man that wants my 04 Tahoe and wants to trade even up for this F350 so i'm torn on what to do. I really wish it was a 7.3 instead of that damn 6.0.

I DO NOT plan to mod it or do anything performance wise to it.

His son put a controller or brain on it and said it needed something to do with the head bolts not long enough. But he had it removed and everything is back to stock and every service was done at Ford.

Just wondering at this point if I shouldn't just get some real nice Air Shocks for the Tahoe and be done with it. The Tahoe pulls the car and trailor like nothing because it has the bigger 6 liter LS1.

DAVE: That Excursion of yours would really look good in my driveway!!! ;) Need a Loaded Tahoe?

Thanks for all your input! KEEP IT COMING...

SW.

Keep the Tahoe

If it were mine, I'd keep the Tahoe. If it pulls fine, its probably a better everyday driver for you too (if that's what your doing with it). I like long wheelbase duallys, but don't think I'd want to drive it everywhere around town. I've been debating trading my Tahoe in for a dually diesel too, I know the diesel trucks will pull much better but I'm not sure I really need it for just pulling a car trailer on rather short distances. The thought of letting my wife drive a dually instead of the Tahoe if she needs to doesn't make me too comfortable either. Air shocks made a difference on my Tahoe, for the ride anyways.

If you want a used diesel, the 7.3's are good, but so are the Cummins and Duramax's. A friend of mine bought an 04 fully loaded crew cab duramax dually 4x4 with a little over 100k on it for $14k, in real nice shape.

Yes this is the Lariat!

See I have this older man that wants my 04 Tahoe and wants to trade even up for this F350 so i'm torn on what to do. I really wish it was a 7.3 instead of that damn 6.0.

I DO NOT plan to mod it or do anything performance wise to it.

His son put a controller or brain on it and said it needed something to do with the head bolts not long enough. But he had it removed and everything is back to stock and every service was done at Ford.

Just wondering at this point if I shouldn't just get some real nice Air Shocks for the Tahoe and be done with it. The Tahoe pulls the car and trailor like nothing because it has the bigger 6 liter LS1.

DAVE: That Excursion of yours would really look good in my driveway!!! ;) Need a Loaded Tahoe?

Thanks for all your input! KEEP IT COMING...

SW.

I'd stay away from it. Aside from the major issues those trucks have/had there are other minor issues that can pop up like blowing coolant out of the overflow tank, egr issues, leaking rear main seal, etc. You should also check on the warranty and make sure that the trans is covered. Ford does a 100K powertrain warranty but the trans is not covered in that, it only goes like 35k on the tranny. I had an '04 supercrew F-250 and that truck had more issues than anything else I ever owned. I got rid of it after a year.

6.0 ?

i have a 2003 4x2 crewcab shortbed . i have owned it for 2 years and 40k no problems . it has 166.000 on the clock and smokes billy's **** box . it has a SCT ,4 in.exh,intake kit.

i have a 2003 4x2 crewcab shortbed . i have owned it for 2 years and 40k no problems . it has 166.000 on the clock and smokes billy's **** box . it has a SCT ,4 in.exh,intake kit.

You didnt smoke it the other day LOL! I wouldve run you over if you didnt get that POS out of my way! Thank your tuner.....:D

I have a '06 and I have been running a programmer on it since day one. I haven't had any problems with it and it pulls pretty hard for a tuner only truck (see sig). Having said that; I would skip the '04 and keep the Tahoe. Good luck either way!

Bone stock, the 6.0 head studs are too few and too small and they will stretch and lead to head gasket failure or worse. If the truck tows it will happen sooner. Cam sensor failures are starting to become more common as the 6.0s are aging and many have broken off in the block which requires a complete teardown. If you can find an 02 or early 03 7.3 with a ZF6 you are golden. I tried to order an 03 with the 7.3 but I missed the cutoff date and it still bothers me when I think about it.

I have an '08 F350 King Ranch with the 6.4 diesel engine, automatic transmission and couldn't be happier. Of course, it still has low miles so it's hard to predict what's going to happen in the future, buy I'm confident it will be ok for years to come. To be on the safe side, I bought an extended warranty which should have me covered in case something big goes wrong...

Don't know if it helps but be have an 03 F-550 tow truck that has taken tons of abuse, multiple drivers and not have a head gasket problem. We have had a few minor issues electrical. Nothing major. We also have 1 2002 and 3 2000's. I am impressed with the ford diesels. I tow with a Tahoe, it's got 110,000 on the bought it with 80,000. It does the job well and it's cheper to fix or replace. Knock on wood, only a fuel pump so far. I do want a nice to vehicle but it will be a while before that.

Lots of good input /advice! Thank you..

I think with this info posted in here that the cheapest route right now would be some nice Air-Shocks for the rear to keep stock un-loaded ride hight while towing. That was the Only thing I didn't like when I towed my T-Type to BG.

I know with the automatic leveling system it is way better but mine has just gas shocks.

What is the best gas shocks to use?

SW.

Scot, rather than air shocks I would recommend you look into an air bag kit. You can even get them with a compressor so you can adjust on the fly. I had one on a 1/2 ton Chevy and it was great
Mike

Scot, rather than air shocks I would recommend you look into an air bag kit. You can even get them with a compressor so you can adjust on the fly. I had one on a 1/2 ton Chevy and it was great
Mike
Thanks Mike! Do you have any links to some good ones?

SW.