Anyone using steel shim headgasket?

I dunno..maybe i'm old fashioned..I like stock gaskets for the just in case deal..better a gasket than a piston.Bolts and no studs.

I rather do the 6 hour HG replacement than do a short block..but thats my .02

Back under my rock :)

Originally posted by Razor
I dunno..maybe i'm old fashioned..I like stock gaskets for the just in case deal..better a gasket than a piston.Bolts and no studs.

I rather do the 6 hour HG replacement than do a short block..but thats my .02

Back under my rock :)

Heard that!

I have used the steel shim gaskets on my 87 GN. Worked well, you must use some type of sealant though. I was told to use clear silicone adhesive.

However, I have been using the stock GM ones or the Fel Pro equal.

good luck,
Bob

Many sets of shims on TTAs and TRs WITHOUT RTV and no failures.

If you are lifting heads...its not the gasket. Look first to the surface prep of both block and head....then look to tuning. Head gaskets go because of an improper tune more often than not.

You NEVER use any sealer on a head gasket....think about it, that gasket (steel shim or composite with fire ring) is designed to withstand cylinder pressure, heat, and distortion....do you really think that RTV will be of any value in that environment? Even the high temp stuff is not rated for the temperatures seen by the head gasket during combustion. Moreover, if the gasket can't seal the cylinder....how will the RTV?

I think that the "silicon" head gasket idea surfaced way back in the day and was never questioned.....but you will never see a professional engine builder use RTV on a head gasket.

Originally posted by HouseofSpeed
Many sets of shims on TTAs and TRs WITHOUT RTV and no failures.

If you are lifting heads...its not the gasket. Look first to the surface prep of both block and head....then look to tuning. Head gaskets go because of an improper tune more often than not.

You NEVER use any sealer on a head gasket....think about it, that gasket (steel shim or composite with fire ring) is designed to withstand cylinder pressure, heat, and distortion....do you really think that RTV will be of any value in that environment? Even the high temp stuff is not rated for the temperatures seen by the head gasket during combustion. Moreover, if the gasket can't seal the cylinder....how will the RTV?

I think that the "silicon" head gasket idea surfaced way back in the day and was never questioned.....but you will never see a professional engine builder use RTV on a head gasket.

:D thank you

mine are dry except a lil sealer around water jackets

Dont shoot the messenger

I got the gasket and was told to use the slicone adhesive directly from a well known and respected Buick vendor. They recommend this on all their builds. I understand what you have said, but I'm saying it worked fine for me.

Bob